Training Origins.

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Training Origins.

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Nillaman wrote:
SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:I've been trying to follow the conversation but am honestly confused. What the heck is everyone talking about here? Training into super-powers? What's the hang-up?

That a Training origin limits what powers your character can have in my opinion. More so than others.

Not if you are running a golden age game it doesn't. Training use to be used as an origin type for all sorts of impossible things. The Green Lama for instance.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:16 am

saint_matthew wrote:
Nillaman wrote:
SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:I've been trying to follow the conversation but am honestly confused. What the heck is everyone talking about here? Training into super-powers? What's the hang-up?

That a Training origin limits what powers your character can have in my opinion. More so than others.

Not if you are running a golden age game it doesn't. Training use to be used as an origin type for all sorts of impossible things. The Green Lama for instance.

I always presumed that training does not disallow you from receiving any powers. I could have sworn that
some "mystical" martial artists (such as from mortal kombat) can train themselves to launch fire balls.
Granted, a more realistic setting woudn't have such blatant "powers". Even then, it's perfectly fine (at
least for me) if they can receive more subtle powers at low ranks such as regeneration.

A perfectly good example is John McClane from the Diehard films. I just saw a youtube video from screen junkies (famous for their honest movie trailers) called "Honest action trailers". It explained how a normal human being would have been long dead before the movie finished even halfway through. :shock:
John McClane must have had either some ranks in protection or immortality just to survive let alone
defeat the bad guys. :D

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am

HustlerOne wrote:It explained how a normal human being would have been long dead before the movie finished even halfway through.
John McClane must have had either some ranks in protection or immortality just to survive let alone defeat the bad guys.

I call Plot Armor!
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:02 pm

TVTropes calls this Charles Atlas Superpower. (WARNING: Linked to TVTropes. It took me an hour to post this. Click at your own risk.)

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:09 am

EC doesn't really need a training origin because anyone can have a training origin in the comics. It's not special or unique to the EC setting. The reason there weren't a lot of supers in EC has to do with the setting, itself, rather then the power types available to players. The silver storm changed the fundamental reason for why supers weren't active in EC prior to the storm; powered or not.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 am

Monolith wrote:EC doesn't really need a training origin because anyone can have a training origin in the comics. It's not special or unique to the EC setting. The reason there weren't a lot of supers in EC has to do with the setting, itself, rather then the power types available to players. The silver storm changed the fundamental reason for why supers weren't active in EC prior to the storm; powered or not.

It came from EC's idea of people with the latent potential for powers, and me saying people might make them manifest through practice and instruction, instead of random chance.

It could easily apply to any other setting. Explaining why some folks might train to gain psychic abilities and get nothing after decades of effort, while someone else can spend a year and learn how to lift manhole covers. The methods, the effort, the time could all be the same. But one has the potential, another does not.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 am

Nillaman wrote:It came from EC's idea of people with the latent potential for powers, and me saying people might make them manifest through practice and instruction, instead of random chance.

I don't wish to spoil anything for those in the setting, but there are specific historical reasons why EC didn't have a lot of active superhumans until the storm. It's not that they didn't exist. It's that people with super powers tend to move to areas that have foes for them to combat.

It could easily apply to any other setting. Explaining why some folks might train to gain psychic abilities and get nothing after decades of effort, while someone else can spend a year and learn how to lift manhole covers. The methods, the effort, the time could all be the same. But one has the potential, another does not.

What you're describing is a character's origin, not a limitation or part of a setting. It's assumed most supers train with their abilities to get better over time. That's what the x-men and the academy was all about. Thor honed his abilities over centuries of fighting giants and trolls, and so on.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Monolith wrote:What you're describing is a character's origin, not a limitation or part of a setting. It's assumed most supers train with their abilities to get better over time. That's what the x-men and the academy was all about. Thor honed his abilities over centuries of fighting giants and trolls, and so on.

Correct. But that's not what I'm describing.

It's the acquisition of superpowers through dedicated effort that's so rare. Or at least restricted to certain paths of development.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Nillaman wrote:
Monolith wrote:What you're describing is a character's origin, not a limitation or part of a setting. It's assumed most supers train with their abilities to get better over time. That's what the x-men and the academy was all about. Thor honed his abilities over centuries of fighting giants and trolls, and so on.

Correct. But that's not what I'm describing.

It's the acquisition of superpowers through dedicated effort that's so rare. Or at least restricted to certain paths of development.

I think that is a campaign concept on your end. I would say that every campaign that uses pl advancement is effectively saying that every possible origin involves training: the pl 10 paragon who advances to pl 14 in your game has probably gained those +4 levels via training and using his powers rather then some strange accident during play. Same with the martial artist or mentalist. So whether you start your game out at pl 6 and advance to 10, or pl 10 and advance to 14, the concept of training powers to get better is just as valid for the super as the normal.

I don't think that has anything to do with EC, though. There's specific reasons why there aren't a lot of superhumans in EC pre silver storm. It has nothing to do with training, or mutation, or whatever other type of origin might be involved.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:53 am

Monolith wrote:I don't wish to spoil anything for those in the setting, but there are specific historical reasons why EC didn't have a lot of active superhumans until the storm. It's not that they didn't exist. It's that people with super powers tend to move to areas that have foes for them to combat.
Areas such as Freedom City, which is in the same continuity. But where as FC has setting history (and the Freedom League), EC was a low super activity site, until the event that changed everything. It's new ground to cover.

The storm isn't an origin event for all supers in the setting. It is a call to action for heroes, pre-existing and new, to get together and investigate the strange goings on and deal with the results.

Any origin that works in Freedom City can apply to Emerald City.

Return to “General M&M”