Multiple movement modes in a single move

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Witchslasher
Hireling
Hireling

Multiple movement modes in a single move

Postby Witchslasher » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 pm

MOVE
"You can move up to your normal speed rank in any movement mode available to you as a move action. Normally this is rank 0 ground speed for most people (up to 30 feet). If you choose to move twice on your turn (taking two move actions) then you move your speed rank each time. You can make a DC 15 Athletics check as a free action to run faster: one or more degree of success increases your ground speed rank by +1 for one round."

Does the bolded line mean you pick the movement mode when you move and use that? Or could you use multiple movement modes in a single move?

Chris F
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: Multiple movement modes in a single move

Postby Chris F » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 pm

You mean do something like move half your ground speed and then move half your flight speed, as part of the same action? My reading of the rules would be "No, you can't do that."

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 am

You move walking, running, swimming, flying, in an acrobatic mode, teleporting, etc...

But you do only one at time. Period
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:13 am

I suppose you could do so narratively, so you can take 3 steps and leap/fly/dive into water/whatever, but mechanically it should be treated as a single movement mode for a single movement action. If actions aren't indivisible, you get into a world of micro-actions that gets more complex than I suspect the system designers intended.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:17 am

Where does a "running leap" come into this? (cf Athletics)

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:02 am

badpenny wrote:Where does a "running leap" come into this? (cf Athletics)

I've always assumed it has more to do with you having the space to make some run then the actual running. So if you have 5' to run you can make a running long jump as opposed to standing on the end of a ledge and just needing to leap.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:39 am

badpenny wrote:Where does a "running leap" come into this? (cf Athletics)

I was looking into this at one point and the D20 system, as embodied in D&D 3.x and Pathfinder, includes the run-up as part of the leap. I'm honestly not certain how well this meshes with M&M given that they seem to assume that movement speed is always greater than leaping speed, but I suppose one could always look at the greater of the two and consider that to be the maximum distance that could be traversed in an action.

So, if you can teleport 100 feet as a Move action and you can run 30 feet as a Move action, you can choose any combination of running and teleporting for a total of 100 feet. If you can run 100 feet and teleport 30, then it's still 100 feet total (although I might argue that this is limited by the amount of teleporting necessary, such as getting through walls and across gaps).

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:46 am

JDRook wrote:I suppose you could do so narratively, so you can take 3 steps and leap/fly/dive into water/whatever, but mechanically it should be treated as a single movement mode for a single movement action. If actions aren't indivisible, you get into a world of micro-actions that gets more complex than I suspect the system designers intended.

+1 this.

Witchslasher
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Witchslasher » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:46 pm

JDRook wrote:I suppose you could do so narratively, so you can take 3 steps and leap/fly/dive into water/whatever, but mechanically it should be treated as a single movement mode for a single movement action. If actions aren't indivisible, you get into a world of micro-actions that gets more complex than I suspect the system designers intended.

My concern with this is that the character was trying to be a bit incognito with his initial move.. Basically run into an alley to protect his identity, then take off flying. For that case, it should take two actions, correct? Unless his Flight was subtle?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:43 pm

You do have two move actions in a turn, so I would do the first one as ground movement and the second one as flying.

As for Stealth, if you read the description, it says you do stealth checks without penalty for moves up to your speed rank -1. Faster than that is -5. If you interpret that as applying to all movement modes, you could therefore "stealth fly" with a normal Stealth check with your Flight rank at -1.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “General M&M”