Do powers stack?

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Do powers stack?

Postby hypervirtue » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 am

This is an question that has come up and I can't actually find it in the book...

So, I'm doing a kind of Paragon named Hyperian... Yes I know, its a terrible name, its so hard to be original these days.

Anyway...

Hyperian is an Alien-Human Hybrid, essentially the story goes like this...

There is a race of energy beings known as the Hyliat, they are a race of explorers, ancient beings of tremendous power who travel across the universe. Their basic MO is to find a world, transmute their energies to appear to be a member of the dominant sentient species of the planet, and study the race first hand. One such Hyliat had become concerned, the Hyliat had not had a true offspring in centuries. Since the Hyliat evolved into energy creatures their reproduction had become a matter of energy separation, effectively ceasing their evolution.

He decided to attempt, on the next world he explored, to produce offspring. How he did this exactly is unknown, a full Hyliat had control over their energy to such an extent that they could convert matter to energy and vice-versa. In any case, on this world he found a human woman, who he genuinely felt attraction to, and after intimate contact he managed to imbue her with a child, who would be part Hyliat and part Human.

Anyway, onto the question...

Hyliats, and in this case the Hybrid, can fly. Hyliats then control their speed through their energy control.

However a lot of their powers come from their energy control.

So, in this case, I wanted to give Hyperian a rank of Flight, then in his Energy Control array give him Flight as well. The energy control array is also where he can shoot energy blasts and such as well. The idea is I didn't want him to drop like a rock the first time he threw an energy blast while flying.

So, if he has Flight 1 normally, then he switches on his energy control:Flight 12, would he have Flight 13? Is that legal?
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

Onion Bubs
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Do powers stack?

Postby Onion Bubs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:50 am

I think there is a 0-point extra called "Stacks with" that lets two powers stack with each other. That would let you reach Flight 13 by combining your two lesser Flight powers.

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:00 am

Yes powers can stack, as I´ve seen in the Thread Report files with Faster Pussy Cat.

However to apply in the example you mention he should be flying with Flight 1 and then using energy control: Flight 12, so a characters needs first using one power and then the other.
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:19 am

Onion Bubs wrote:I think there is a 0-point extra called "Stacks with" that lets two powers stack with each other. That would let you reach Flight 13 by combining your two lesser Flight powers.

"Stacks with" is a mechanical thing in Hero Lab to say "Yes, when calculating the ranks of this, add these values together for the character sheet".

I believe the default assumption in M&M is that powers can stack up to the limits of PL and what the GM is willing to allow.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:43 am

I actually recommend using "stacking" for what you describe instead of using something like Dynamic Array. Powers that you want have available pretty much all the time but not necessarily at full power are best purchased as low rank standalones (like Flight 1) and then stacked with an appropriate array slot.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:47 am

There's a canonical example in 2E of a "stacking" array in the form of the Power Reserve power, which essentially gives you a slightly cheaper Dynamic Array at the cost of having to already invest points into the powers involved.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 am

hypervirtue wrote:He decided to attempt, on the next world he explored, to produce offspring.

Interplanetary Sex Tourism: no longer just for humans & whatever species Captain James Tiberius Kirk is :lol:

hypervirtue wrote:How he did this exactly is unknown, a full Hyliat had control over their energy to such an extent that they could convert matter to energy and vice-versa. In any case, on this world he found a human woman, who he genuinely felt attraction to, and after intimate contact he managed to imbue her with a child, who would be part Hyliat and part Human.

Not a bad paragon origin, all things considered, I recently did something similar, but the other way round. An African Australian soldier on deployment in the middle east & another member of there platoon find a very large IED, that turned out to be a genetic dirty bomb, created by The Colony (think of them as Hive by way of AIM). While they are trying to secure the area & get all the civilians to safety It goes off and both are infected by the chemical concoction inside (a crude version of the Q9 formula).

Any way our hero eventually becomes a paragon who has a whole plethora of normal paragon powers, but also a suite of energy powers, very similar to what you appear to be doing.

I named him Omni, kind of a vague reference to Milestone comics Icon. So much for originality.

hypervirtue wrote:Anyway, onto the question...

Hyliats, and in this case the Hybrid, can fly. Hyliats then control their speed through their energy control.

However a lot of their powers come from their energy control.

So, in this case, I wanted to give Hyperian a rank of Flight, then in his Energy Control array give him Flight as well. The energy control array is also where he can shoot energy blasts and such as well. The idea is I didn't want him to drop like a rock the first time he threw an energy blast while flying.

So, if he has Flight 1 normally, then he switches on his energy control:Flight 12, would he have Flight 13? Is that legal?

Long story short; yes. Short story, slightly longer; yes, as long as it makes narrative sense. My paragon as described above has the standard paragon suite of powers including seeing in the dark (Sense 2, dark vision), but when he focuses his energies he can also stack penetration vision & detect bio auras to that sense type.

So yes things stack, but only if they make narrative sense & only if the GM agrees that it makes narrative sense.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “General M&M”