Construct Healing

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
weirdal
Bystander
Bystander

Construct Healing

Postby weirdal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:56 am

This came up on Friday when I ran my game. The Construct (from Chapter 2; Character Archetypes) suffered some damage. Now, because she didn't have Stamina and the Archetype doesn't have Regeneration (I was going to recommend taking it with the PP she got last game -- if she wants, of course) the only way for damage to be healed is by a repair check (per RAW). The problem is I didn't know what the DC of the check would be (seeing how there really wasn't anything appropriate on the table).

I simply let it happen (her Technology check is a 20), but how should this be handled?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Construct Healing

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:12 am

Repair is based on complexity and time, as per the technology skill. A complex item, which is what I'd call a construct, is dc 20 and takes 8 hours to repair. Each additional -5 to the check reduces the time by 1. So a dc 25 check would make the repairs in 4 hours, dc 30 check in 2 hours, and so on.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:49 pm

That's not a bad interpretation, although I would think that a Construct would be on par with an Advanced Item, like a computer or vehicle, and so would be DC25 and and take 24 hours (time rank 14) to do repairs. You could fudge a bonus for self-repair, if it makes sense for the Construct to have intimate knowledge of its own workings; maybe even allow that as a Feature (+5 self repair bonus for 1p).

It looks like it assumes a full repair job, though, so even though a Construct could easily take the time to do repairs while his human allies are on their "sleep cycle," there doesn't seem to be a solid rule for partial repair, so a ding on your forearm takes as long as a full frame realignment. You're in houserule territory now.

Possible ideas:

- Complications: The simplest route. Assume that as long as the Construct gets back to HQ or a similarly-equipped place to make repairs and has enough time to make them, it just gets done, full recovery. Otherwise (and this would mean some kind of emergency occurs) the Construct is only partially repaired and has some damage or certain systems (powers) unavailable due to broken bits or having to take them offline to reach the right bits or whatever. Give the Construct a Hero Point and move on. By RAW, the Construct could then use that HP in an emergency to jury-rig a repair for a single problem as a standard action that lasts to the end of the scene

- Technology skill as Healing: Set a DC and time for repairs and then use each degree of success as one thing fixed, starting with the most extreme. Going with Monolith's idea, you could make the base repair check equal to a complex item for DC20 and 8hrs, use the rush job rules as needed. This also depends on how you damage your Construct: -1 Toughness checks will be minor issues that only get in the way in combat; Dazed goes away almost immediately so it doesn't need repairing; Staggered would be a serious concern; Incap would mean someone else would be doing the repairing. There's also the option of damaging particular subsystems, which also works with this, but means picking what you're repairing before the roll.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:34 am

weirdal wrote:This came up on Friday when I ran my game. The Construct (from Chapter 2; Character Archetypes) suffered some damage. Now, because she didn't have Stamina and the Archetype doesn't have Regeneration (I was going to recommend taking it with the PP she got last game -- if she wants, of course) the only way for damage to be healed is by a repair check (per RAW). The problem is I didn't know what the DC of the check would be (seeing how there really wasn't anything appropriate on the table).

I simply let it happen (her Technology check is a 20), but how should this be handled?

A construct is probably an Advanced item (DC 30 to build, 25 to repair). They can also make a jury-rigged repair at -5 DC as a standard action, although the repairs only last a scene.

Looking at the table on pg 75 though, the repair times and DCs are insane and penalize people who don't want to take Regeneration for reasons of concept. I would cut them significantly so the PC isn't spending an entire day out of action. (And seriously? DC 30 to build a computer? :))
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:13 am

You can check The Hero´s Handbook on pg 75 under Technology skill "Reparing"

You can also use Technology to repair damaged items, with
a –5 to the DC to build the item and –2 to the time rank
required.

So as Ysariel wrote, repair a construct will be DC 25 in 24 hrs (if de GM saids the construct is an Advanced One) or DC 20 in 8 hours (if the GM saids is a Complex One)

Personally I use the Complex One DC 20, 8 hours at least I want used as a complication. ;)
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:53 am

One could also build some regeneration/healing into your HQ that repairs you out of action-time.

Return to “General M&M”