GM Screen Hero Generator Question

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

GM Screen Hero Generator Question

Postby Devastation Bob » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:12 am

Was making a Psychic using the GM Screen Hero Generator and I gots a question. What do these powers do exactly? (Long time book buyer, no-time player).

Mental Awareness: Senses (Mental Awareness, Acute, Detect, Radius, Range) • 5 points

Healing: Empathic Healing 4, Stabilize • 5 points

Any assistance without emotional beratement would be appreciated.
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Re: GM Screen Hero Generator Question

Postby freeclint » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:39 am

Good questions, I can tackle the first one. I think I asked something similar once.

Mental Awareness: Senses (Mental Awareness, Acute, Detect, Radius, Range) 5 points

The psychic in question can Detect the use of mental powers in a radius around accurately enough to target the user. I don't have my pdfs with me (drop box storage rearrange) to verify the exact range.

I think that's right.

EDIT: Oops. Check the srd and found my mistakes

Confused Acute and Accurate.

With Acute the Psychic can identify in range specific individuals by their power use.

With Ranged they can use power beyond personal, at - 1 to perception for every 10 feet.

With Radius they don't have to be facing the power use.

With Detect than scan for the presence or absence of mental powers in the area.
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:46 am

Devastation Bob wrote:Mental Awareness: Senses (Mental Awareness, Acute, Detect, Radius, Range) • 5 points

It's a bit of a mix of items. Mental Awareness lets you detect use of a particular power descriptor at a distance and essentially acts as a "sense" much like sight or touch. Detect does the same thing, but detects a particular item, and is not ranged by default. My gut feeling is that the intent was that the character can detect Mental powers at a distance and the Detect is supposed to be Detect (minds) with the modifiers applying to that sense. So you essentially have two sense here: Awareness (Mental) and Detect (Minds, ranged, radius, acute), which means that he can distinguish one mind from another (but cannot read their thoughts. Imagine it like him being able to tell one mind from the other like you'd tell one face from another) and he can do so at any point around him without turning around.

Devastation Bob wrote:Healing: Empathic Healing 4, Stabilize • 5 points

Empathic means that you heal the injuries by taking them upon yourself. Stabilize means you don't have to make a check to stabilize a dying character.

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:23 pm

So the character wouldn't be able to heal themselves with the empathic descriptor?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Devastation Bob wrote:So the character wouldn't be able to heal themselves with the empathic descriptor?

It works perfectly fine on themselves. So, with two actions you can a) heal a target then b) heal yourself.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:
Devastation Bob wrote:So the character wouldn't be able to heal themselves with the empathic descriptor?

It works perfectly fine on themselves. So, with two actions you can a) heal a target then b) heal yourself.

I was just about to refute this, but there's nothing under the Empathic description that says you can't heal yourself using Empathic Healing, so I have to assume the limit is only for healing others. The Healer would still need to be careful not to take on too much damage or they could knock themselves out and be unable to heal themselves.

I think I was confusing it with Energizing, which is essentially Empathic in healing Fatigue but specifically cannot be used by the healer to heal their own Fatigue in order to maintain the "effort economy".
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:20 pm

JDRook wrote:I was just about to refute this, but there's nothing under the Empathic description that says you can't heal yourself using Empathic Healing, so I have to assume the limit is only for healing others. The Healer would still need to be careful not to take on too much damage or they could knock themselves out and be unable to heal themselves.

I think I was confusing it with Energizing, which is essentially Empathic in healing Fatigue but specifically cannot be used by the healer to heal their own Fatigue in order to maintain the "effort economy".

The deluxe edition from the Kickstarter actually explicitly spells it out:
You can use Healing and Regeneration to cure your own conditions.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:17 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:

I feel a little confused here. If someone has the empathic flaw on their healing every time they use the power they heal someone else by taking the damage themselves. That is why you get the cost break from the flaw.

How can you heal yourself with a power that requires you to take the damage? If you heal 5 resistance reductions on yourself you also give yourself 5 resistance reductions. You end up right back where you started because the flaw on the build requires you to take the damage you heal.

It would seem to me that you would need an entirely separate healing power to heal yourself. You can't do it with the empathic healing power. You'd need an alternate effect of healing, self only.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 am

I would tend to agree. Also, I don't think I would allow an AE that allows the person to Heal themselves. Negates a large portion of the Flaw on the main power making it much less a negative.

Kind of like this:

Healing 10 (F: Others only)
AE: Healing 10 (F: Self Only)

I would never allow that.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:05 am

I'd argue in the other direction. Healing that can't heal yourself is already a -1 Flaw by itself. For that AND taking the conditions every time would logically require another Flaw for -2 total.

Therefore Empathic -1 could just assume to take damage when healing other but not yourself.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Got another question about the Warrior Archetype. Namely how does this work...

Living Weapon: Strength-based Damage 2, Multiattack 7, Selective 7 • 16 points

and the Detect Weakness

Tactical Mastermind: Enhanced Intellect 2, Enhanced Awareness 2; Enhanced Advantages 3 (Defensive Roll
2, Uncanny Dodge); Senses 5 (Danger Sense, Detect Weakness—Acute, Analytical, Ranged) • 16 points

Trying to visualize that. Thanks.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Devastation Bob wrote:Got another question about the Warrior Archetype. Namely how does this work...

Living Weapon: Strength-based Damage 2, Multiattack 7, Selective 7 • 16 points

Well, quite simply, you can do regular strength-based damage or you can choose to use the Multi-attack for one of its three forms for up to 5 points of strength bonus. First option is to attempt to gain more damage by beating the target's defenses by 2 or 3 degrees. Second, you can choose to hit multiple adjacent targets at a -1 penalty for each target. Lastly, you can choose to "cover" an ally against attacks for any opponents within your line of sight and range. As this is melee range, that last is a bit more tricky, but doable. The Selective means that when you walk your fire for the second option, you can choose to not hit a square in between (although I'd rule that you still gain the -1 penalty for that square).

Devastation Bob wrote:and the Detect Weakness

Tactical Mastermind: Enhanced Intellect 2, Enhanced Awareness 2; Enhanced Advantages 3 (Defensive Roll 2, Uncanny Dodge); Senses 5 (Danger Sense, Detect Weakness—Acute, Analytical, Ranged) • 16 points

Trying to visualize that. Thanks.

Ee... Detect (Weakness) is one of those slightly tricky things to adjudicate on anything other than a case-by-case basis. Basically, the GM sets a DC and you make a Notice check against it. If you win, you note a weakness, possibly a Vulnerability or something that their defense are limited against, possibly a called shot that will let you do more damage with your next hit. More successes might give you a better chance. It's very subjective. Don't forget to choose a sense type for your Danger Sense and a sense type for your Detect Weakness (sight is common for the latter).

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Devastation Bob wrote:Living Weapon: Strength-based Damage 2, Multiattack 7, Selective 7 • 16 points

This is an option for the Altered Human stream, so STR is 5, therefore total damage with this power is 7. MA and Sel are just bought up to match. It would be all Close Attacks, though, so likely descriptors would be punches/kicks/knees/elbows/headbutts/etc. The guy would just be a whirlwind of striking limbs.

Single target MA would be a flurry of attacks on one target with a possible bonus to Damage based on degrees of success of attack: 2 degrees would get it up to Damage 9; 3 degrees for Damage 12. That extra damage can break PL, but doesn't help overcome Impervious.

Covering Fire doesn't really work at close range (possibly in the most idealized contrived circumstances), and so I wouldn't count that as an option.

Multiple Target MA would allow you to hit several targets, although they'd all have to be in range, so essentially it would only be useful if you had at least two targets close enough to touch. Selective is only useful versus multiple targets, and only if there's one in the arc you don't want to hit (say a held hostage or an ally at your back) so to me it seems a little limited for the cost of Selective, particularly at close range. For that reason, I'd probably rule differently from FuzzyBoots and just say the penalty per attack is just equal to the number of targets and not worry about "empty squares." Then again, it would probably be a moot point since every Warrior build has Takedown and could therefore take out a close group of targets without hitting allies anyway, as long as they're all minions. Honestly, except for the PL-breaking single strike the whole power seems strangely specialized. I'd be inclined to make a different power with the same points and keep this as an AE or a power stunt.

I don't think I can add to Fuzzy's comments on Detect Weakness, save that since it's not really defined (and has no space where it can be defined) I think it's a poor choice for a system specifically designed to make characters quickly. Don't get me wrong, I think the QCG is awesome, and even better in the Deluxe Handbook, but it's never going to be perfect.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, I busted out the old QCG for a pbp game since I have no idea how to make characters really. I was getting told my defenses were too low. Do you have to max out defense for power level?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Devastation Bob wrote:Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, I busted out the old QCG for a pbp game since I have no idea how to make characters really. I was getting told my defenses were too low. Do you have to max out defense for power level?

It's suggested. Otherwise, it's like having a level 5 guy try to hang with the level 8+ party in D&D.

Return to “General M&M”