Need help w/Variable Utilitybelt form Gadget Guide: Skills

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Need help w/Variable Utilitybelt form Gadget Guide: Skills

Postby Jhyarelle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:11 am

From Gadget Guide: Utility Pg 2
Variable 1 (any tool or skill equipment), Free Action, Quirk (Limited to 2 equipment points or less, –3 points) • 6 points

There are a lot of skills that could be helped by tool in a Variable Utility -belt. There are some that I'm not sure can be helped by the Variable Utility-belt.

Ex: Take all skills at Rank 0 and in the brackets are things that can be helped by tools/skills provided by Variable Utility-belt.

Acrobatics (???)
Athletics (Climbing gear, Swimming Fins, Portable propellers)
Close Combat (???)
Deception (Voice changer)
Expertise (Research using internet or some resource)
Insight (Lie detector)
Intimidation (Voice changer)
Investigation (Research using internet or some resource)
Perception (Binoculars)
Persuasion (???)
Ranged Combat (Laser Sight, Targeting Scope, Iron Sight, Guidance System)
Sleight of Hand (???)
Stealth (Smoke Bombs)
Technology (Hacking, Lock Picking)
Treatment (Fist Aid kit, Defibrillator)
Vehicles (???)

Can you guys/gals think of way the following could be helped by tool/skills in the Variable Utility-belt?
Acrobatics
Close Combat
Persuasion (Money?????...LOL)
Sleight of Hand
Vehicles (GPS)
Last edited by Jhyarelle on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't what I'm doing"
"I'm so clever that at sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Need help with Variable Utility-belt form Gadget Guide

Postby Aerlwyn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:20 am

Thinking about acrobatics, close combat and sleight of hand being a pair of special gloves that are part of the utility belt. Vehicles what about a pair of neural interface goggles and persuasion what about gold coins.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:46 am

I've built utility belts before, but I usually like to build them as powers, rather than equipment, that was I can do more with them, including

Bat Credit Card: Benefit, wealth.
Sleep Powder: Sleep
Paralysing Poison: Snare
Swelling Poison: Suffocation
Psi-Damper collar: Nullify

etc etc.

Does that help any?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jhyarelle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 am

Aerlwyn wrote:Thinking about acrobatics, close combat and sleight of hand being a pair of special gloves that are part of the utility belt. Vehicles what about a pair of neural interface goggles and persuasion what about gold coins.

Right?
Acrobatics: (sp. gloves like for gripping I guess)

Close Combat: (I don't see why tough, how does a pair of gloves make you hit better than taking time to learn how to hit better)

Sleight of Hand: (just like thieve's glove in D&D)

Vehicles: (neural interface may be but wouldn't neural interface make Vehicle checks use Intelligence instead of Dexterity. Shouldn't that make it some more than a 2 point item the utility belt can make?)
"I'm so clever that at sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:03 am

Was thinking more like leadened gloves so you hit harder.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:14 am

Since the game is limited by pl the only way you can use close combat in a utility belt is if the character fights at sub-pl levels all the rest of the time when not using that ability from the belt.

Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jhyarelle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:33 am

Aerlwyn wrote:Was thinking more like leadened gloves so you hit harder.

I see...same with having brass knuckles, my bad.

I should have made the topic more precise. I apologize. What meant was how can each skill be affected by bonuses given by tool/skill from a utility belt.

Lead gloves and brass knuckles are good examples but are damage dealers. It makes you hit harder, not better.

Monolith wrote:Since the game is limited by pl the only way you can use close combat in a utility belt is if the character fights at sub-pl levels all the rest of the time when not using that ability from the belt.

I agree.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Need help w/Variable Utilitybelt form Gadget Guide: Skil

Postby Monolith » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 am

Because of the way combat maneuvers work in the game better accuracy and harder force are slightly subjective concepts. With accurate attack damage can be converted to accuracy, or accuracy converted to damage with power attack. So technically, brass knuckles +2 damage can be converted to +2 accuracy; meaning you hit better then normal rather then harder.

More accuracy could be targeting computers, it could be a 'find weakness' type of thing where the gear makes the opponent less defensive against you, so your descriptor can be that they lose -2 dodge and parry against only you but it just plays out mathematically that you gain +2 accuracy.

Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jhyarelle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:06 am

Monolith wrote:Because of the way combat maneuvers work in the game better accuracy and harder force are slightly subjective concepts. With accurate attack damage can be converted to accuracy, or accuracy converted to damage with power attack. So technically, brass knuckles +2 damage can be converted to +2 accuracy; meaning you hit better then normal rather then harder.

I agree to this cause cause it makes sense, but it still up to GM's interpretation right? I'm just saying as I'm the using the belt and the GM is bit of a prick.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Persuasion could be an aerosolized drug or pheromone that causes people to more susceptible to suggestion, though that might be an ethically grey area. Another option might be a special pair of goggles that lets the character read a person's biometrics, so they can see how the subject physically reacts, allowing allowing the character to alter their approach accordingly.

Considering most vehicles these days have sophisticated on-board computer systems, the character could be carrying a some sort of "control spike" that interfaces with those systems to get the maximum efficiency out of them, removing safety protocols and pushing the vehicle past its normal limits.

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Hellhound » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:03 am

Jhyarelle wrote:
Can you guys/gals think of way the following could be helped by tool/skills in the Variable Utility-belt?
Acrobatics
Close Combat
Persuasion (Money?????...LOL)
Sleight of Hand
Vehicles (GPS)

Acrobatics: Fly-Shoes for Balancing
Persuasion: Speech Previously Prepared
Sleight of Hand: Oil for Escaping
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Return to “General M&M”