2014 Cpt America Winter Soldier Falcon Question

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

2014 Cpt America Winter Soldier Falcon Question

Postby Jhyarelle » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:48 am

I just saw the Captain America: Winter Soldier. I want to build Falcon's Jet-pack, wings combo. But I need help.
From the way it was visually working, Falcon can glide with just the wings and maneuver well. He just turns on the jets for boost in speed or even maybe take off. How do I build this? Flight with Alternate Effect Gliding equal to flight speed or half flight speed. And since Gliding is flaw that reduces the cost of Flight how does it work?

EX:Jet-pack/wings combo
Flight 7 (120 mph), Removable 2, Alternate Effect 2 [Gliding]: 10 CP

Why the build? It's aesthetics, I wan't form and functionality. Sure I can put subtle on the jet pack but the game is not that technologically advanced so GM said "jet-pack" makes a lot of noise. I want to Jet-pack to get to the location and glide in the rest of the way to stealth in.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't what I'm doing"
"I'm so clever that at sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: 2014 Cpt America Winter Soldier Falcon Question

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 am

Actually from what I saw the wings are necessary for steering, panning & manoeuvring.... Without it, it just falls to the ground slowly (movement safe fall).

So I would have built it as Flight, with the flaw of wings, removable flaw & an alternate power of movement (safe fall).

It most certainly wouldn't be removable 2. Removable 2 is something that can be disarmed with a disarm check, this cannot.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

mirilion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mirilion » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 am

He used a parachute as a backup, that's just equipment. No suit, no flight. Maybe I missed something but that's what I saw.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:58 pm

mirilion wrote:He used a parachute as a backup, that's just equipment.

Not when its part of a device... Then its just purchased with the normal points.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:05 am

His pack is pretty similar to the Rook's cape. Flight, Wings, Safe Fall. Just take away the Subtle modifiers since a pair of jets makes quiet a bit of noise.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:19 am

Nillaman wrote:His pack is pretty similar to the Rook's cape. Flight, Wings, Safe Fall. Just take away the Subtle modifiers since a pair of jets makes quiet a bit of noise.

Good catch. They're basically the same build, just with a different descriptor.

Chris Brady
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Chris Brady » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:15 am

Monolith wrote:
Nillaman wrote:His pack is pretty similar to the Rook's cape. Flight, Wings, Safe Fall. Just take away the Subtle modifiers since a pair of jets makes quiet a bit of noise.

Good catch. They're basically the same build, just with a different descriptor.

You may want to bump up the flight speed, he did out pace some missiles for a while... But other than that, yeah, it is the same as Rook's wings.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:47 am

Nillaman wrote:His pack is pretty similar to the Rook's cape.

Except the Rooks not as cool.... Because the Rook is lame & the Falcon is pure awesomeness. :D
-Isaac Asimov

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 am

Chris Brady wrote:I'd up the flight speed, he did out pace some missiles for a while....

I'm not sure about this. Missiles travel insanely fast--fast enough to catch supersonic fighters, so I'd have to chalk it up to Falcon improving his Defense score with the Defend action. I wouldn't build the Improved Defense Advantage into the harness as that would mean anyone would gain the benefit, and Sam probably had the expertise (as was implied). You could also give Sam (again, not the harness) the Favored Environment (Airborne) Advantage to further boost his Defense.

Throw in the Agile Feint (the Flight rank is going to be pretty low, so personally I'd go with Acrobatics--and he might have a higher rank in the air than on the ground) and Redirect Advantages so he could pull off those aerial tricks.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:22 pm

badpenny wrote:Missiles travel insanely fast--fast enough to catch supersonic fighters

They addressed missile speeds in the Heavy Weapons Gadget Guide. I think they set them at around 9 or 10 and recommended Outmaneuvering as a skill challenge vs DC10+missile speed, 5 successes before 3 failures. Acro or Vehicle skill would probably be appropriate for the described scene.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “General M&M”