Looking for Snare Clarification

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
weirdal
Bystander
Bystander

Looking for Snare Clarification

Postby weirdal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 pm

I've searched the forums and I didn't find anything that answered my question.

In the description of Snare on page 182 (Deluxe HHB) it says that escaping from a Snare is based on Damage or Slight of Hand.

I see where the difficult for Slight of Hand is 15 + Power Effect; would that be the same for damage? So, in the example Conflict on page 243 where Princess get's trapped by the net and Rook throws some Talons, the damage set the DC for the Toughness check (which the DM rolled a total of 23 -- 9 for the Toughness of the snare effect and 14 on the d20). I see that the Toughness Check didn't meet or beat the Damage, so the net was damaged (yet Princess was still in the net).

I guess, my question is, does this work like damaging objects where two degrees of success would have been enough (i.e. Toughness check 15 or less)? It seem strange if you just need to meet or beat a DC of 24 with a Slight of Hand check (by any degree) and get out, where as Strength requires more work... or am I just misreading this entirely?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Looking for Snare Clarification

Postby Greyman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:12 pm

A Sleight of Hand check to break free of powered restraints is made against 15+Effect Level. This is part of that skill's application. (Ref: Escaping Difficulties, page 74.)

The Damage check to Overcome the Snare (Affliction) power is its Alternate Resistance, for which "the resistance check difficulty class remains the same, only the resistance differs" (per: page 138). The normal resistance check for an Affliction is against DC 10+Effect Level.

---

However, I can see a case for building a Snare effect instead as Create (Continuous, Limited to Trapping), with a modifier to apply the snare conditions but allow the Sleight of Hand escape route.

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:18 am

weirdal, you are reading it correctly. Any Affliction, such as Snare, that is overcome by Damage is treated as an object with Toughness equal to its rank.

weirdal
Bystander
Bystander

Postby weirdal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 am

Flying Cobra wrote:weirdal, you are reading it correctly. Any Affliction, such as Snare, that is overcome by Damage is treated as an object with Toughness equal to its rank.

Thanks!

Return to “General M&M”