House Rule Advantage/Feature: Spring Heeled

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

House Rule Advantage/Feature: Spring Heeled

Postby Nillaman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 pm

Characters with this Advantage/Feature move the results of a jump made with the Athletics skill up one degree on the listed chart, as follows.

Running Long Jump: Athletics check result in feet, multiplied by 2.
Standing Long Jump: Athletics check result in feet.
Running Vertical Jump: Athletics check result in feet, divided by 2.
Standing Vertical Jump: Athletics check result in feet, divided by 5.

I got the idea for it after watching Captain America the other night. He makes some impressive leaps, but it's never done casually. So this allows the element of failure or victory to be a bit more uncertain. Therefore more exciting when you pull off a natural twenty and leave people wondering if you can fly. ^^
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: House Rule Advantage/Feature: Spring Heeled

Postby JDRook » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:19 pm

If you really want to make leaping more suspenseful by making it roll-based, you could not bother with absolute distances and just assign a Difficulty Class to the target point and do an Athletics check. The "Spring-Heeled" Advantage could just add +5 to checks involving jumps.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:40 pm

JDRook wrote:If you really want to make leaping more suspenseful by making it roll-based, you could not bother with absolute distances and just assign a Difficulty Class to the target point and do an Athletics check. The "Spring-Heeled" Advantage could just add +5 to checks involving jumps.

I'd love to see that happen personally. :3 But if the GM doesn't feel like changing that system, then this provides an excellent way of representing extraordinary, but not inhuman, leaping capability. And it does so without negating a use of the Athletics skill in the manner that Leaping tends to.

Actually, with your method, where would Leaping stand in the system?
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

PL 2 Hero
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PL 2 Hero » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:35 am

Nillaman wrote:
JDRook wrote:If you really want to make leaping more suspenseful by making it roll-based, you could not bother with absolute distances and just assign a Difficulty Class to the target point and do an Athletics check. The "Spring-Heeled" Advantage could just add +5 to checks involving jumps.

I'd love to see that happen personally. :3 But if the GM doesn't feel like changing that system, then this provides an excellent way of representing extraordinary, but not inhuman, leaping capability. And it does so without negating a use of the Athletics skill in the manner that Leaping tends to.

Actually, with your method, where would Leaping stand in the system?

I dont know about how everyone else feels, but why cant you take the method above and just add the result to the leaping distance...ie; if you have leaping 1 (15ft)....you get a result that nets you 10 ft from your athletics, add it to your leaping for a total of 25 ft. Just my two cents.
If there is one thing I know it's this. God does love a good joke. ~Hugh Eliot

rlwr
Hireling
Hireling

Postby rlwr » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:26 am

because math... complicating the system with more math will slow it down and have to decide if that is worth the extra 15 feet or not.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:38 pm

There's nothing inherently wrong with figuring exact distances, save that it's rarely important for a story to move forward.

Applying chance to Athletic Leaps means the GM made a jump that is an obstacle to your PC that could go either way, success or failure. He could translate traits into feet or whatever measurement, figure out what distance would actually be challenging to your PC and then stick that in the setting, or he can skip the feet translation and just set a DC for the jump that would challenge the PC. The distance is basically part of the descriptor for the jump, which could include things like poor visibility, narrow ledges, slippery or uneven surfaces. If the PC fails, the player can describe what aspect made it too difficult to overcome. If he succeeds, it seems more challenging than simply jumping a numerical distance.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

mirilion
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mirilion » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:42 am

The way I try to do it (as the GM) is to require athletics rolls for leapers as conditional complications. If they fail they get the hero point and something nasty happens to them because they didn't make the jump. I don't do this all the time, of course, only when it's appropriate.

Actually I use a lot of conditional complications, it's fun.

Return to “General M&M”