Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
TheSander
Groupie
Groupie
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby TheSander » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:09 pm

So I'm in the process of preparing to run my first ever M&M game.
To make it easy on myself and get familiar with the game during play, I've acquired the EC book, and I want to run the adventure in it.
However, I also want to place my version of Emeralds City in the DC Universe, so if anyone has already done so or have tips or advice on how to do it, I'd love to hear it.

So far from what I've read I think I can just replace AEGIS with Checkmate, if a less antagonistic version of thereof. The Freedom League is of course the Justice League, but I'm confused as to what members should appear to confront Mars and the heroes. Especially Metropolis, since his going berserk is the entire reason the hero-on-hero fight takes place. One idea I had for him was to have the Martian Manhunter be the one to lose control, something at MarsTech messing with his mind.
Thoughts?

User avatar
Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3412
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 am

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby Aerlwyn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:41 pm

That would work well I would think as an idea, Gotham would work as a backstory city if you want or just make it a new west coast city.

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:08 pm

TheSander wrote:The Freedom League is of course the Justice League, but I'm confused as to what members should appear to confront Mars and the heroes. Especially Metropolis, since his going berserk is the entire reason the hero-on-hero fight takes place. One idea I had for him was to have the Martian Manhunter be the one to lose control, something at MarsTech messing with his mind.


The left over nanites in the air are causing him a form of psychic backlash.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby Monolith » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:23 pm

You gotta keep in mind that the Justice League members are much tougher then the Freedom League so you'll need to choose which ones you want to use wisely. Green Arrow can fill in for Bowman and Zatanna can fill in for Seven. Flash is tougher then Johnny Rocket and even though Raven and Batman are the same pl Batman is going to be a much tougher foe overall.

Martian Manhunter, at pl 14, can smack around the pl12 Dr. Metropolis like a fly; and he's probably going to easily over-power the pl 10-11 heroes in the adventure. I might be more inclined to go with Red Tornado and say that the nanites are messing with his circuits.

TheSander
Groupie
Groupie
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby TheSander » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Monolith wrote:You gotta keep in mind that the Justice League members are much tougher then the Freedom League so you'll need to choose which ones you want to use wisely. Green Arrow can fill in for Bowman and Zatanna can fill in for Seven. Flash is tougher then Johnny Rocket and even though Raven and Batman are the same pl Batman is going to be a much tougher foe overall.

Martian Manhunter, at pl 14, can smack around the pl12 Dr. Metropolis like a fly; and he's probably going to easily over-power the pl 10-11 heroes in the adventure. I might be more inclined to go with Red Tornado and say that the nanites are messing with his circuits.

I probaly should have said that up-front, but the idea is that if I did use the MM, I would have used a more low-powered build than the one in the book.
Still, Red Tornado is a completely valid alternative.

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 am

Monolith wrote:I might be more inclined to go with Red Tornado and say that the nanites are messing with his circuits.


Actually now you mention it I probably would too: A much better choice. Or if one is feeling really nostalgic one could always throw in Tomorrow Woman, for the 20 seconds that she was alive. I really do have a soft spot for those awesome characters built to be tragically killed to prove a point.... Moon Maiden & Alpha Centurion for example. :D
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

User avatar
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 9:33 am
Location: Washington (the state, not the district)

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:15 am

saint_matthew wrote:
Monolith wrote:I might be more inclined to go with Red Tornado and say that the nanites are messing with his circuits.

Actually now you mention it I probably would too: A much better choice. Or if one is feeling really nostalgic one could always throw in Tomorrow Woman, for the 20 seconds that she was alive. I really do have a soft spot for those awesome characters built to be tragically killed to prove a point.... Moon Maiden & Alpha Centurion for example. :D

So you are a Whedon fan at heart. :wink:

TheSander
Groupie
Groupie
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby TheSander » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:03 am

I'm also wondering of what to do with Mars' backround as a villain. The firts thing that came to mind, would be having him as an old Captain Marvel foe who after Fawcett City got unstuck turned towards legitimate business as a way to gain power and riches.
Still, I feel there could be a better way.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby Monolith » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm

You could make the Commander and old Fawcett or Charlton character. You could even rename him in the game from the Commander to one of the older villains like Dr. Spector, the Doc, Black Shroud, etc.

TheSander
Groupie
Groupie
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby TheSander » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 pm

After looking at the Wiki page for Cpt. Marvel's villains I'm tempted to keep Mars' backstory as is, but change his name to Rodney Stark, after a kind of one-note villanous mastermind, just for fun.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby Monolith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:29 am

TheSander wrote:After looking at the Wiki page for Cpt. Marvel's villains I'm tempted to keep Mars' backstory as is, but change his name to Rodney Stark, after a kind of one-note villanous mastermind, just for fun.

StarkTech might seem a little to Marvel, but other then that it should be fine. :)

TheSander
Groupie
Groupie
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby TheSander » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am

The next thing I'm thinking now is how to deal with the F.O.E. Should I just make them an alternate version of the Injustice Gang, or ignore the part that says they are a known villain group and make them a whole new alliance of supervillains?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby Monolith » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:31 am

I have mixed feelings on the subject. If I were a player, playing in the dc universe, then I'd expect to be encountering dc villains. I think I'd probably feel a little cheated if I were fighting foe or some other non-canon villains. Death Magnet means nothing to the players while Dr. Polaris does.

As a gm I can understand that it's a lot of work to change out all the foes; especially when you're new to the game and don't really have a good handle on how to balance pl and other finer points of M&M.

You might be able to split the difference and mix and match. Maybe keep foe and include some known dc villains into the team. That way you can make it something new while still making it seem like it's part of the dc campaign.

TheSander
Groupie
Groupie
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby TheSander » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:01 am

That's exactly what I want to avoid: my players feeling like they aren't actually part of the DC universe.
I can get away with introducing new villains, since this is after all a "new city" when it comes to metahumans and superheroes.
Much like you suggested, Monolith, I want to mix and match, so that my villains can face classic DC foes while also having their own Rogue's gallery.

For example, I could have Giganta take Gargantua's place in the FOE group they meet at MarsTech (now StarkTech :) ). Maybe even have the Atomic Skull take cannonball's place. So the opponents would be half new half classic DC.

User avatar
JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Emerald City Knights: DC Universe

Postby JonL » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm

TheSander wrote:That's exactly what I want to avoid: my players feeling like they aren't actually part of the DC universe.
I can get away with introducing new villains, since this is after all a "new city" when it comes to metahumans and superheroes.
Much like you suggested, Monolith, I want to mix and match, so that my villains can face classic DC foes while also having their own Rogue's gallery.

For example, I could have Giganta take Gargantua's place in the FOE group they meet at MarsTech (now StarkTech :) ). Maybe even have the Atomic Skull take cannonball's place. So the opponents would be half new half classic DC.


I think you're on the right track. Pick some good DC villains to replace the ones in the EC Knights adventure -- you don't even have to stick to the same types of villains (Giganta for Gargantua, etc.). As long as they fill the same role, that is, thieves or enforcers.

The idea of using Stark as a replacement for Mars is cool. Maybe to avoid confusion with Marvel's Stark, change the company name to StarTech? That might help with player confusion and differentiate it from Marvel's Stark.

Cool stuff!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.


Return to “General M&M”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests