The absolute BEST first session

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
mirilion
Groupie
Groupie

The absolute BEST first session

Post by mirilion »

I'm starting a new M&M 3E campaign tomorrow, and I want to give my players the best first session ever. I have a lot of experience as a GM in general, but my stories aren't always the most exciting.

Anyway, this is a high-action, heroic game with a healthy dose of humor. I was planning on launching the campaign smack in the middle of combat, just to wake people up. Perhaps even throw in the classic "Daily Planet globe tumbling down" scenario in the thick of it.

I would really appreciate any ideas on how to make this first session as unforgettable as possible.

DeathMetalBard
Bystander
Bystander

Re: The absolute BEST first session

Post by DeathMetalBard »

Well it certain sounds interesting for a start. When I was reading your post I was thinking "Ok, what kinda villain would he have if it's a jump straight into the battle" kinda thought. I guess what I'm saying is if you want to have an epic first session with a battle straight at the start, you need to establish either the first villain for the story as a very epic villain or establish that this is the work of some giant organization or entitiy which could become and overarching threat throughout the sessions.

An Example is like Galatacus from F4. He's a pretty epic villain on a global scale.

The thing is if you start it off right away too fast or too actiony it can get boring. I'm not sure how the players like their game but I like to build up my stories for the sessions, get them more interested and let them see the building threat of the villain or villains or anything like that, but it's mostly up to personal preference.

I hope that it works out and you make it super fun though :)

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Post by The Kryptonian »

Something I did once in an old school Champions game is I had the players build their characters at a base of 200 points, or the M&M equivalent of PL10. Then I sat with each of them and asked how they felt their character would progress, power, skill, personality-wise.

What they didn't know, is that I went home and built 350 point, possibly PL 12 or 13 in M&M, versions of their characters. ANd started them in the middle of a huge & ultimate battle against a Magneto-esque super villain. I threw in alot of elements and hints of the game at that point, I even had one player who loved to martyr his character for the benefit of the team, so I had asked him if he'd make the ultimate sacrifice for his team during the 'interview' process.

During the course of the fight with the big bad, I gave him the opportunity to do so, and he jumped on it. RIGHT at that point, I took their PL 12 & 13 character sheets away, gave them their starting sheets and flashbacked to the formation of their team. And started the campaign there, having given them a teaser of what was to come. The big bad actually turned out to be the teams financial backer, but they caused the situation that empowered him & flipped him to being a villain driven to destroy them.

Worked for me, and the players enjoyed it thoroughly, but you need to have a solid grasp of where you want the story to end up, and work backwards from there.
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Post by cochramd »

How to make the best first session is going to depend on who you're GMing for and what kind of characters they play. If they're all new guys you should probably keep it simple, while if you're playing with veterans you can throw more complicated stuff at them.

Everybody should have a chance for their character to shine. This means two things; first all characters must have some viability in combat, second each character should have opportunities to use their unique abilities (paragons and powerhouses get to free civilians from rubble, crimefighters get to investigate stuff, etc).

Without knowing more about the party, that's all I can really tell you.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

I suggest Strippers and Black-Jack. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Monolith »

I think the players tend to have the most fun when the sessions are about their characters rather then just random happenstances. While you're just looking for a big, fun, dramatic sequence the more you can tie it into the player's backgrounds the more they can enjoy it. Players egos love to be rubbed when it's all about me! :)

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Kyle »

The Kryptonian wrote:Something I did once in an old school Champions game is I had the players build their characters at a base of 200 points, or the M&M equivalent of PL10. Then I sat with each of them and asked how they felt their character would progress, power, skill, personality-wise.

What they didn't know, is that I went home and built 350 point, possibly PL 12 or 13 in M&M, versions of their characters. ANd started them in the middle of a huge & ultimate battle against a Magneto-esque super villain. I threw in alot of elements and hints of the game at that point, I even had one player who loved to martyr his character for the benefit of the team, so I had asked him if he'd make the ultimate sacrifice for his team during the 'interview' process.

During the course of the fight with the big bad, I gave him the opportunity to do so, and he jumped on it. RIGHT at that point, I took their PL 12 & 13 character sheets away, gave them their starting sheets and flashbacked to the formation of their team. And started the campaign there, having given them a teaser of what was to come. The big bad actually turned out to be the teams financial backer, but they caused the situation that empowered him & flipped him to being a villain driven to destroy them.

Worked for me, and the players enjoyed it thoroughly, but you need to have a solid grasp of where you want the story to end up, and work backwards from there.
That sounds like an awesome session.

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Doresh »

Everything is better with communist nazi gorilla robots.