My Little Pony M&M

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
JeffSpicoli
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:26 pm

My Little Pony M&M

Postby JeffSpicoli » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Should I allow pony PCs to wield weapons with their hooves?

I have one who wants twin lightsabers.

Is this workable?

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 26078
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Crinos » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am

Why not? This is mutants and Masterminds, not DnD or Pathfinder, its as realistic as you want it to be.

And if one of the character classes being bandied around is "Pony Jedi", then it sounds like a pretty awesome campaign right there.

User avatar
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 9719
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 am

You may have to buy off the Disability Drawback, or remove the Complication, to account for being able to hold things in the hooves. In the case of the Complication, it would just be a matter of designating the lightsaber as being adapted to work with the hooves, and said Complication would come up later with a regular lightsabre, or when trying to do some other form of fine manipulation.

Cyborgsamurai
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Cyborgsamurai » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:44 am

It IS pretty amusing that your main concern at having a Jedi pony is whether it makes sense game mechanics-wise.

I'm kinda with Crinos that you're best off ignoring the whole issue. It's not like anyone in the show is ever hampered by not having hands. None of their stuff looks like it's been specially modified for "hoof use" either.

User avatar
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby JDRook » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:30 am

It's not really a rule, but my general interpretation for all characters is to assume they are baseline anthrocentric; that is, a 0-point version of the character has all of the capabilities of an average unskilled humanoid. Anything more is purchased traits, anything less is a Complication.

If your Pony Jedi can pick up and manipulate objects like a normal human, then the hooves are just flavour. If not, they should have a Complication if they come up against something like a doorknob. It should also be able to affect a posture that allows access to the front limbs (as do humans).

As for twin lightsabres, that would be a Device, which can be as personalized to your character as you like, so even if PJ can't open a door, it can still wield the lightsabres.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1778
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Foreshadow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:04 pm

If this were a cartoon show like Power Puff girls and the character is drawn as a pony the fact animals are anthropomorphized in cartoons means logically you can in fact have them wield weapons. It depends of how you animate them. If you want the fact of the hooves to be a true disability then no it would not be allowed or if allowed it would a negative modifier, otherwise it is assumed like all things to be a mere formality of description and animation.

The short answer is it is limited by your imagination but that means, like the Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles you limit the unlimited and define how you want to limit yourself. Once you do that, your really not limited anymore but rather have a degree of freedom within your conception. Spider-Man for example cannot shoot eyebeams unless something in the story alters his self-limited fictional existence.

User avatar
Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:32 am

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Doresh » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:14 am

When in doubt, use Force Telekinesis (or however it's called).

betterwatchit
Henchman
Henchman
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:02 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby betterwatchit » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:23 pm

Doresh wrote:When in doubt, use Force Telekinesis (or however it's called).


The closest a unicorn would have is Move Object with the Noticeable Flaw (Due to the magical aura surrounding both the unicorn's horn and the affected objects).

Cyborgsamurai
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Cyborgsamurai » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:38 am

betterwatchit wrote:The closest a unicorn would have is Move Object with the Noticeable Flaw (Due to the magical aura surrounding both the unicorn's horn and the affected objects).

Think the unicorns might also be limited to moving one object at a time. This jedi pony would theoretically have Force powers as well though, which would make them better at moving stuff around than the unicorns. This would be amusing if they were a pegasus or something... which would be awesome because then you get aerial light saber fights.

Oh, the zaniness of super mashups :)

Inscribed
Hireling
Hireling
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:44 am

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Inscribed » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:24 am

betterwatchit wrote:
Doresh wrote:When in doubt, use Force Telekinesis (or however it's called).


The closest a unicorn would have is Move Object with the Noticeable Flaw (Due to the magical aura surrounding both the unicorn's horn and the affected objects).

Technically, no Noticeable flaw, because Move Object is noticeable by default. Something like magic aura around user and target is common.

User avatar
Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Nillaman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:50 pm

I'd like to suggest something a little odd, though I think it may work.

Use their tail. Add the Extra Limb ability at one rank, provide the Ambidextrous Advantage, and you thus have a highly mobile appendage which which to wield something like a light saber.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

User avatar
Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:32 am

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Doresh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 am

Inscribed wrote:
betterwatchit wrote:
Doresh wrote:When in doubt, use Force Telekinesis (or however it's called).


The closest a unicorn would have is Move Object with the Noticeable Flaw (Due to the magical aura surrounding both the unicorn's horn and the affected objects).

Technically, no Noticeable flaw, because Move Object is noticeable by default. Something like magic aura around user and target is common.


But Jedi powers are almost always Subtle :D

User avatar
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 9719
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:24 am

Doresh wrote:But Jedi powers are almost always Subtle :D

^_^ Reminds me of a quote I saw defending the Trade Federation's actions at the beginning of the first prequel, "So, two heavily armed religious fanatics who can twist your mind into whatever pretzel they want show up at your door and say they want to 'negotiate'..."

User avatar
Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:32 am

Re: My Little Pony M&M

Postby Doresh » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:05 am

Make that "Two heavily armed, super-powered religious fanatics".

But I generally avoid thinking about the prequel trilogy. Only madness, there lies.


Return to “General M&M”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests