Super Punch

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
JeffSpicoli
Bystander
Bystander

Super Punch

Post by JeffSpicoli »

I have a player with a "Super Punch" that can propel victims into outer space.

It's like "Movement X; attack, close, Space Travel (orbit or something)"

Is that valid?

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Super Punch

Post by cochramd »

No, that's an attack that could only move them if they're already in space.

And for the record, the next time you have a whole bunch of questions, try to put them all in one thread.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Post by JDRook »

I find most Movement Attack powers to be a bad idea for balance. That said:

- Space Travel 1 would be enough to reach orbit. 2p
- Attack is a +0 extra, and on a Personal Range effect makes it Close by Default.
- As an Attack, it needs to target a logical defense. Since it's a punch, Parry seems reasonable.
- It also needs a logical resistance. What would that be?
- The resistance DC would be 11, which depending on the resistance will generally be easy for any PC to avoid, so it's likely this would only work reliably on minions and bystanders, which isn't very heroic. You could by up Extra DC ranks at 1p/rank.

So for a standard Power Level 10 game, that allows you to make a combat-ending attack that would work about half the time versus any opponent with the proper defense at PL, for a cost of 11p. This would suck. You might have some fun with it the first few times, but ultimately this power would be unbalancing and ultimately too much trouble to make a game around.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Hellhound
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Hellhound »

JeffSpicoli wrote:I have a player with a "Super Punch" that can propel victims into outer space.

It's like "Movement X; attack, close, Space Travel (orbit or something)"

Is that valid?
Maybe is better if the player makes another power like "Massive Knockback" from the Power Profiles Strenght wich is:
Move Object, Close Range, Limited to Flinging Targets Away, Linked to Strength Damage • 1 point per
2 ranks.

If the player hits the target must make a Strenght check against effect rank if fails is throw away a distance
equal to the effect rank minus their mass rank.

I think could a most balanced power
The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the betrayal of an angel.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Stigger »

While initially an amusing idea, I gotta echo JDRook, in that it's gonna break the game in a hurry, but I do like the idea Hellhound proposed, and think that would probably work better in practice.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

JDRook wrote:So for a standard Power Level 10 game, that allows you to make a combat-ending attack that would work about half the time versus any opponent with the proper defense at PL, for a cost of 11p. This would suck. You might have some fun with it the first few times, but ultimately this power would be unbalancing and ultimately too much trouble to make a game around.
I concur but would go one step further & say it doesn't matter if this is rules legal or not, as this is not a GM versus player game like D&D, but is instead a co-operative story telling game. If it breaks the GM's goals for the series, just say no: Explain to players what you are trying to achieve & why what they are trying to do is not suitable.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov