Question about arrays

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Fred
Bystander
Bystander

Question about arrays

Post by Fred »

So, I have this doubt about the effects in an array. For example, suppose one of the AEs in the array is an Afliction. Duringa combat, the character uses it against his foe and manages to get three levels of success inflicting the third condition, which can only be rolled against once every minute. In the following round, the hero switches his array to another effect.

Here's my question: when he switches out of the Afliction, does the condition he inflicted on his foe disappears? Or is the condition inflicted independent of the source power?

Tchau!
Webs of Magic: my second short story. Tell your friends, if you like it; tell you enemies, if you don't
Writing: Choices (fiction), The Sorcerer of Volupa (RPG)
Superseeds: my RPGnet column
Fred's Wild Cards 3e conversions & write-ups

Firebrand

Re: Question about arrays

Post by Karma »

Affliction is an instant effect. Once you've used it, the attack is over even if it might take your opponent longer to recover from the result of the attack.

You're not maintaining the effect in any way, so the lingering results don't vanish when you switch the array. You just can't use it at that time.

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Question about arrays

Post by cochramd »

Think of it this way: if you lit a match and used it to set some newspaper on fire, would the newspaper cease burning once you extinguished the match? Obviously, the answer is no, and powers in an array work the same way; the condition afflicted is independent of the source power.