Fun/Stupid Powers You've Built

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
XeviatJAG
Zealot
Zealot

Fun/Stupid Powers You've Built

Post by XeviatJAG »

What are some fun and or stupid powers you've built? Right now, I'm utilizing "Check Required (Perception)" on a super-senser character to shave some points off of his powers (technically, I'm shunting some of their cost into his Perception skill). I started to build this one, and then laughed at the ridiculousness of it.

Telescopic Vision
Extended Vision 8; Check Required 7 (Perception DC 17+): 1 point

This power requires a DC 17 Perception check, and then it activates a rank of it for every point they beat the DC by, maxing out when they beat it by 8 (in other words, they roll an 8). They're going to hit an average DC of 27 with their +17 Perception, and will fail on a roll of 1, so for one point (not counting the 9 points put into Perception), they get a 1 billion foot range increment on their vision a good amount of the time (they'll hit the max DC 65% of the time). Considering the horizon is 15,840 feet away (going by the 3 mile standard), that's just funny.

Similarly, Enhanced Skill (X) with a check required using the same skill is fun to me; make a skill roll to empower the same skill.

What are some of yours?

rlwr
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Fun/Stupid Powers You've Built

Post by rlwr »

ugly stick.. device strength based presence drain.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Face Bake: Morph (Attack, Insidious) -- Used on my cartoon character, Face Cook. She clamps her frying pan to an opponent's face and when she pulls it away, they look like someone else, and they don't realize it until someone points it out.

Atmo
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Atmo »

Banana Manipulation, but it was on 3D&T.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Aerlock »

Back in 1e I had a period where I would stat up NPCs with super minor (less than 10 points) powers. The only one I can remember off the top of my head was 1 rank of the Transform power with the Exact extra was essentially nothing more than "Best Plastic Surgeon Ever!" for about 4 points.

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by danelsan »

The OP is a clear example of why I think Check Required is a terribly written flaw. It is very possible to use it to shave points without ever being actually troubled by it. I usually have it made into a complication instead.

As for stupid powers, I once ran a one-off game with a sort of "League of Losers" going. You know the cliché: bunch of wanna-be heroes with awful powers get rejected by superteam. Superteam is captured, defeated or otherwise absent, lame-powered newbies have to save he day. From what I recall, it included:

-KABOOM: Generating an explosion centering on himself...which he almost never could use because it was like Burst Area x10 and he couldn't reduce it.

-Whoosh Superspeed...only physical movement, often being unable to think and perceive stuff fast enough to keep up with her own movement.

-Repulsor: could telekinetically project things away from him, but he was also repulsed in the opposite direction.

-Statue: could become very resistant to damage and heavy, but became totally immobile while doing so and took a while to shake off the effect

-Gemblast: alien with various gems all over her body, which could shoot lasers...but she could only decide when to shoot, not from which gem the shot would come out

-Megadummy:Super Strength, Resistance and Flight of variable degree. The greater his power at any given moment, the dumber he became
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

rlwr
Hireling
Hireling

Post by rlwr »

how did you stat the gemblast the others I could figure out but not that one.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by danelsan »

rlwr wrote:how did you stat the gemblast the others I could figure out but not that one.
Mechanically, it was simply a very inaccurate attack with the quirks: can't be used with Aim or Accurate Attack. The rest was all about Complications. Needless to say, that player got a lot of Hero points...
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

betterwatchit
Henchman
Henchman

Post by betterwatchit »

The most fun power I've made was for the French cartoon character Martin Matin, this kid who wakes up as something different every morning.

What I gave him was Variable 12 that was Slow and Uncontrolled to represent how long it takes for him to transform again. He only knows what he's become for certain when he looks in the mirror every day.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Stigger »

My wife's illusionist character has a funny one she calls Squeesplode, where she launches a hamster or some other ridiculously cute creature riding a cupcake, which explodes in a flurry of heart-shaped confetti, that makes everyone in a 15' radius "squee" and otherwise pay attention to it while the rest of the team starts beating them up. Thankfully, it's selective, but it has provided quite a few amusing moments in the game when she first tossed it out. Makes me have to work a little harder when it comes to minion encounters, since she put it at 15 ranks with a +5 attack, making it a Will DC 25 resistance check that can be tough for mooks to make.

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Post by SeeleyOne »

One player had a character that created a stream of toilet paper as he rode it around the city, kind of like how Ice Man does with his ice that he skates around on. It was almost helpful to mummify people with, but then again it was toilet paper so not really very strong, and it was nullified by getting wet.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

Sailboat
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Sailboat »

SeeleyOne wrote:One player had a character that created a stream of toilet paper as he rode it around the city, kind of like how Ice Man does with his ice that he skates around on. It was almost helpful to mummify people with, but then again it was toilet paper so not really very strong, and it was nullified by getting wet.
And it would be the perfect power in the event of a teamwipe.

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Post by cochramd »

danelsan wrote:The OP is a clear example of why I think Check Required is a terribly written flaw. It is very possible to use it to shave points without ever being actually troubled by it. I usually have it made into a complication instead.
If you want to get really dirty, put Check Required on all the powers on a device. That way you get a device with more power on it that can only be used effectively by a few people (ideally, this includes few or none of your enemies). Of course, now there is the disadvantage that your allies can't use your device, but how often does that come up?

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel »

Check required is useful as a way to let players who've bought otherwise useless traits to get some value out of them.

For example I normally wouldn't allow Check required (Technology) or Check required (Expertise: Magic) because those skills are useful in their own right. But for the goddess of music I would certainly allow an affliction with Check required (Expertise: Singing) because Expertise: Singing is one of those skills that the GM has to go out of their way to make useful.

Check required doesn't have to be a skill check. It can be an ability check as well and I might allow Check required for the overcosted abilities (Dex, Pre and Int in most cases -- not all smart characters will have enough useful expertise to get their pp's worth, and not all can justify Treatment or Investigate) depending on how much use the character got out of their abilities. I would allow Inspire 5 with Check required (Intellect) for a super genius character to simulate a 3e version of Master Plan, or Inspire 5 with Check required (Presence) for an inspirational leader; note they still lose the HP spent if they fail the check so there's an element of risk there. Enhanced Advantage with Check required (Dexterity) can be used to blunt the cost of a high Dex for super marksmen who have little use for vehicles and petty theft.

Likewise, a mental affliction could have Check required (Communication), needing you to make a successful power check with your Mental Communication to affect the target, and a book of alien spells might have Check required (Comprehend) so you can't cast its spells unless you translate them quickly enough. This doesn't really save points considering the effects in question are expensive and bought at low ranks, but it does take some of the bite out of buying otherwise overcosted powers with little use.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue »

One of my more recent, and exceptionally fun, powers has been:

"Limb Break"

(as part of my martial arts array)

Damage 8 (strength based)
Grab Based

linked to:
Affliction 10 (toughness resist, had to get GM permission) (impaired, disabled, incapacitated)
Cumulative, Alternate Save (toughness)
Grab Based

Linked to:
Affliction 3 (will resist) (impaired will, disabled will)
Area: Perception (requires being able to see the target of the initial affliction)
Limited: Only works if the target of the initial affliction fails by 2 or more degrees.

(The above is the abridged version of how it was built.)

Basically, my character grabs a target, then attempts to break a limb, those enemies who see the person get their bone snapped/bent in an unusual manner potentially suffer a temporary drop in willpower because, "Man that looked like it hurt!"
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.