Regrading Corrosive Power in Power Profiles

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Regrading Corrosive Power in Power Profiles

Postby Jhyarelle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Corrosive: Weaken Toughness, Affects Objects, Secondary Effect, Linked to Damage, Secondary Effect • 5 points per rank.

If you can project a corrosive at a distance, apply the Ranged modifier to both effects.

1) Why is Secondary Effect there twice? Aren't the effects Weaken Toughness X [Primary Effect], Affects Objects X [Extra], Linked to Damage X [Secondary Effect]?

2) How do you add ranged mods to the power equation?

Ex: Ranged Corrosive: Ranged Weaken Toughness, Affects Objects, Secondary Effect, Linked to Ranedged Damage, Secondary Effect • 5 points per rank.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't what I'm doing"
"I'm so clever that at sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Regrading Corrosive Power in Power Profiles

Postby danelsan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 pm

1) I believe the Weaken Effect here also has a secondary effect, weakening the target's Toughness again in the next round. Thus Weaken Toughness X, Affects Objects X, Secondary Effect X, Linked to Damage X*, Secondary Effect X*. This meets the cost of 5 PP/Rank

* Or Y, linked effects are not required to be of the same rank

2) Just add Increased Range extra to both effects, increasing the cost to a very expensive 7 PP/Rank
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jhyarelle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:17 am

danelsan wrote:1) I believe the Weaken Effect here also has a secondary effect, weakening the target's Toughness again in the next round. Thus Weaken Toughness X, Affects Objects X, Secondary Effect X, Linked to Damage X*, Secondary Effect X*. This meets the cost of 5 PP/Rank

* Or Y, linked effects are not required to be of the same rank

2) Just add Increased Range extra to both effects, increasing the cost to a very expensive 7 PP/Rank

Can't you just use the cumulative effect for the same result and may be save a point here or there?
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't what I'm doing"
"I'm so clever that at sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:09 am

Jhyarelle wrote:Can't you just use the cumulative effect for the same result and may be save a point here or there?

I believe Cumulative requires you to hit them a second time. So with it as built, you hit the first round, they make a save against the Weaken and against the Damage. Next round, you might attack someone else and your original target still has to make a second save. With cumulative, you'd have to attack the same target twice.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 am

I think Jhyarelle is talking about cumulative in a general sense instead of the Modifier, since both Weaken and Damage essential have Cumulative built-in.

Jhyarelle wrote:Why is Secondary Effect there twice?

It's not strictly necessary, but for corrosive descriptors like Acid or Melting or something, the effect tends to keep going for a little while after the first hit, and it is both effects for one combined power. If you wanted to, say, just have Weaken represent the Acidic or Napalm component and continue to eat away at the Toughness (which would slowly return on living opponents but not on objects) and only apply Damage again during attacks, I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as it fit with whatever you're building. I know a few people were using Corrosion for a lightsabre build (or other arbitrarily badass swords), which works well but I wouldn't think to put Secondary on it.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “General M&M”