Cosmic Handbook News(?)

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Cosmic Handbook News(?)

Post by Bwgustaf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Can you give an spoilers about when there will be news about the Cosmic Handbook? And when will previews be coming out?

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Re: Cosmic Handbook News(?)

Post by Foreshadow » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 pm

The writers are too spaced out at the moment. :roll:

CSABadass
Zealot
Zealot

Post by CSABadass » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:45 pm

:? We writers are hired guns who know nothing about news or previews; mostly because we don't make those decisions. Spaced out? Maybe, but you've got the wrong mugs, y'see. :)

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Less information the better until its release... I think that's what we all decided as fans. We got sick of being told things are in the works & then having to wait 2 years to see them, due to the slow speed at which stuff was being produced.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Mr Mole » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:52 am

Last I heard, the Cosmic Handbook was one of a small handful of books that were slated for a 2014 release. I don't think anyone's committed to a date more solid than "by the end of 2014."

http://greenronin.com/2013/12/ronin_rou ... _the_w.php
saint_matthew wrote: Less information the better until its release... I think that's what we all decided as fans. We got sick of being told things are in the works & then having to wait 2 years to see them, due to the slow speed at which stuff was being produced.
No, that's definitely not what "we" all decided as fans. I'm sure there are many who feel the same as you on the subject, but I'm not one of them. I dislike people harping on "but you said it'd be out by [fill in the blank date]" when they get impatient, and I totally understand if the GR staff decides sharing less information is better than setting people up for disappointment, but I personally like to know what's coming out and approximately when I can expect to get my hands on it.
CSABadass wrote: We writers are hired guns who know nothing about news or previews; mostly because we don't make those decisions. Spaced out? Maybe, but you've got the wrong mugs, y'see.
That the much esteemed Prof McGlothin is tied to this project makes me even more eager to get a copy, as he's one of my favorite writers. :D
Last edited by Mr Mole on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Post by HustlerOne » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Hey thanks Mr. Mole for the news for 2014. The Atlas Prime series covering the world of Freedom
City sounds great. Being written by people who actually come from those countries should prevent any
negative cliche stereotypes (I think). I wouldn't expect much news about the cosmic handbook for
some time. They're probably working on the Gadget Guide, Freedom City, and Atlas Prime books in
the foreseeable future.

I would love to be proven wrong though. :wink:

CSABadass
Zealot
Zealot

Post by CSABadass » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Thank you very much, Mr. Mole!

As always, I'm happy to talk about what I did for the book. Maybe I could pull a J.K. Rowling and post a random sentence, too. :)

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Doresh » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:03 am

On a cosmic scale, it shouldn't take longer than a heartbeat :3

hermes
Henchman
Henchman

Post by hermes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I think I can safely say that Prof. McGlothlin's contributions are up to his usual standards, which means they are worth every penny. (And the same can certainly be said for the other authors as well.)

That said, I somehow find the thought of "pulling a J.K. Rowling" highly amusing, so I look forward to seeing how this thread develops. :D

CSABadass
Zealot
Zealot

Post by CSABadass » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:51 pm

^Thank you very much!

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Shadowchaser » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:28 am

I can say that I'm really excited for the book, and every iteration I've seen has been better than the previous iterations.

It's one of the projects I've contributed the most to, so I'm really excited to see how my contributions settle into place after the development phases and art phases and layout phases are all done. Very trilled to be working with folks like Christopher McGlothlin and Jack Norris!
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Mr Mole » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Shadowchaser wrote: Very trilled to be working with folks like Christopher McGlothlin and Jack Norris!
Yup. Those two in particular tend to put a big ol' smile on my face when I read their work or hear them on podcasts. I can relate to the passions (and peeves) that influence them. That you've gotten to work with them, plus Steve Perrin (beloved legend of the RPG industry for decades)... Well, I can say I'm a bit jealous... But I can also say, Mr Dawsey, I think you've done some pretty spectacular things at Vigilance Press, and you obviously have an eye for the type of talent that appeals to me and keeps me interested.

And no, I'm not brown nosing anyone. I'm just saying I really appreciate that there are people out there with tastes and sensibilities that are similar to mine, but who also have the skills and talents I lack... And they're actually managing to create products that fuel my imagination and make me feel like a kid again.

Nuff said there. You guys are all great and I hope you all keep cranking out new stuff for decades to come. :mrgreen:

CSABadass
Zealot
Zealot

Post by CSABadass » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 am

Thank you, gentlemen!

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Shadowchaser » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:46 am

Mr Mole wrote:
Shadowchaser wrote: Very trilled to be working with folks like Christopher McGlothlin and Jack Norris!
Yup. Those two in particular tend to put a big ol' smile on my face when I read their work or hear them on podcasts. I can relate to the passions (and peeves) that influence them. That you've gotten to work with them, plus Steve Perrin (beloved legend of the RPG industry for decades)... Well, I can say I'm a bit jealous... But I can also say, Mr Dawsey, I think you've done some pretty spectacular things at Vigilance Press, and you obviously have an eye for the type of talent that appeals to me and keeps me interested.

And no, I'm not brown nosing anyone. I'm just saying I really appreciate that there are people out there with tastes and sensibilities that are similar to mine, but who also have the skills and talents I lack... And they're actually managing to create products that fuel my imagination and make me feel like a kid again.

Nuff said there. You guys are all great and I hope you all keep cranking out new stuff for decades to come. :mrgreen:
I am quite flattered by the praise, Mole-sensei! I'm really looking forward to a lot of stuff M&M-wise this year. The Cosmic Handbook is personally very exciting because I got to contribute, but it's also very exciting because it's a genre I really, really like and think deserves a solid presentation for a supers campaign. You can do so much with the genre, I think, and we all put a lot of thought into our various sections.

I have to confess, for my section I kept a stack of Christopher McGlothlin's previous books next to me for inspiration. I was doing my best to channel all the things I like about M&M, and he's been a big part of that.
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

dan2448
Bystander
Bystander

Post by dan2448 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:39 am

Mr Mole wrote:That the much esteemed Prof McGlothin is tied to this project makes me even more eager to get a copy, as he's one of my favorite writers. :D
Me, too.

It's 'old news' now to most here, I expect, but I just recently bought the "Silver Age" sourcebook published in 2010 and was totally blown away by it. I'm in my mid-40s now, and read comic books as a kid primarily in the Bronze Age (and then for just a couple more years after 1986). I really wasn't interested in a sourcebook about the Silver Age per se, but was very interested in one about the Bronze Age. When I read online that this book covered both, I bought it.

The sardonic summaries of both the comic book history and real world history of the era completely floored me (all the more so, perhaps, because I actually preferred "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" to "...La Vegas"). I could hear the 'non-Gonzo' voice of Hunter S. Thompson in a lot of that superlative text, I thought. Among many other things, I also loved the "Motorcycle Daredevil" Silver Age Hero, with a quote from (I think) Evel Knievel and an illustration resembling the Human Fly, and "Bionic Hero," whose illustration was modeled on the Six Million Dollar Man doll from the 1970s, right down to the engine block. I could go on-and-on, but will conclude with a reference to how much I enjoyed that the paragraph about how "Watchmen" was originally to be based on the Carlton action heroes was titled "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci." There were fantastic 'flourishes' like that sprinkled throughout the book.

I don't really have any particular interest in the topics that presumably will be covered by the "Cosmic Handbook" to be honest. But having been so 'wowed' recently by the "Silver Age" sourcebook (and previously by Steve Kenson's "Gamemaster's Guide" for 3e as well), I'm now looking forwarding its publication, too.