Bounce

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Witchslasher
Hireling
Hireling

Bounce

Postby Witchslasher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm

Anyone every try to make a Bounce power? I saw bouncing boy in the H&V book, but didn't get that bouncey feel.. I was thinking maybe something similar to Flinging Gust out of power profiles, So Limited Direction (away from attacker) Move Object with Reaction to Blunt Damage, limited to self, max ranks = damage of attack?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Bounce

Postby JDRook » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:18 am

Move Object doesn't work on yourself, so you can't limit it to self. PCs move themselves with Movement Powers. You could make some Reaction Movements, I guess, although what you're describing almost sounds like it's beyond his control, which could be a Complication.

Bouncing Boy seems to have bounce attacks based on a Damage Bonus limited to Move-By Attacks off his Leaping, which seems a little weird, but it is a weird power. Some obvious alternatives would be Takedown 2 and Selective Area Damage with a descriptor of several bounce attacks in a contained area. You could probably adapt a few other tricks common to speedsters for him. Looks like he already has a small non-selective Area Damage, so they may be specifically limiting how skilled he is.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Fists of Dorn
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Bounce

Postby Fists of Dorn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:54 am

Witchslasher wrote:Anyone every try to make a Bounce power? I saw bouncing boy in the H&V book, but didn't get that bouncey feel.. I was thinking maybe something similar to Flinging Gust out of power profiles, So Limited Direction (away from attacker) Move Object with Reaction to Blunt Damage, limited to self, max ranks = damage of attack?

I think that bouncing would be well represented as a power consisting of Leaping and perhaps some Enhanced Traits (Advantages and Skills).

A complication that could move the hero when he is hit by an attack would seem appropriate to many concepts, though it could also be an uncontrolled and separate Leaping power that is set up similarly to how Steve Kenson applied the Reaction extra to a Speed effect for the Untouchable power in the Speed Powers Profile. The power allowed the hero to move up to Speed Rank 1 when targeted by an attack (Sometimes allowing him to avoid area attacks), but by applying the Uncontrolled flaw to it, the GM could ricochet the hero around the battlefield during a combat. Later on the flaw could be exchanged for the Unreliable flaw as the hero begins to gain better control over his powers, and eventually the flaw could be bought off altogether.

-Fists.

Return to “General M&M”