Maintaining a Sustained effect on multiple targets

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
monele
Henchman
Henchman

Maintaining a Sustained effect on multiple targets

Postby monele » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:01 am

Let's say I have Flight, Affects Others. As a Sustained Effect, it stops when not maintained (a free action every turn).

Can I actually apply this to multiple characters by spending a Standard action (from Affects Others) each turn for each target? It's not as effective as an Area Flight since it takes quite a bit of time to setup, but it's still quite powerful and I'm doubting it's the intention of the rules.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Maintaining a Sustained effect on multiple targets

Postby Monolith » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:25 am

This hasn't really been answered clearly in 3e; nothing has as they don't answer questions for 3e. :cry: In 2e you could use and sustain as many as a free action that the gm would allow. So on round 1 you could grab someone with tk. On round 2 you can hold that person and grab someone else with tk; now holding 2 as sustained, and so on. The same was true with any sustained ability like the flight example. I don't see any reason why it would be different for 3e then it was for 2e.

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Maintaining a Sustained effect on multiple targets

Postby monele » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:13 am

Ah, I remember discussing this on Move Object a while ago. The concensus was indeed that you could maintain but not control multiple instances of the effect I think. I guess this may apply in general then.

Return to “General M&M”