Remote Sensing through a unique ally

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
monele
Henchman
Henchman

Remote Sensing through a unique ally

Postby monele » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 am

Study case: the hero can summon a minion (a unique character, no variable type here). The hero should be able to see through that creature's eyes, but not otherwise. This sounds very much like the Medium flaw of Remote Sensing, but seems harsher than just "only through any mirror". Could this be a -2/r?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Remote Sensing through a unique ally

Postby Monolith » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:27 am

The medium flaw seems fine to me. It's not really harsher as you can summon the character at will; meaning it's fairly easy to have access to the medium.

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:13 am

Good point! Would you say differently if the medium was a Sidekick?

SignalGK
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SignalGK » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:37 am

You the player or the GM?

I've always held that a GM can do whatever they want in their own game (and M&M mechanics support that assumption) provided you are consistent with all of your players. Players need to run their ideas passed their GM and accept their judgement on the matter regardless of whether the mechanics can be made to bend that way.

Speaking personally I wouldn't automatically allow a players minion to act as a form of remote sensing without buying that option as a specific power OR I agreed to link it with a specific player disadvantage such as unable to use own senses whilst viewing.

Regarding a sidekick or independently functioning minion were I the referee I would definitely require that the link was purchased as a specific power. The ability to act independently makes that power quite powerful in my personal opinion.

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:17 am

Let's say I'm mostly GM. Just building characters for now and pondering mechanics.

I do appreciate that GM word is the final word but I like to see others' opinions :). I often focus on a specific study case and forget about other ones that may justify things one way or another.

Speaking personally I wouldn't automatically allow a players minion to act as a form of remote sensing without buying that option as a specific power OR I agreed to link it with a specific player disadvantage such as unable to use own senses whilst viewing.

Buying that option as a specific power? Something more/else than Remote Sensing, Medium?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 am

monele wrote:Good point! Would you say differently if the medium was a Sidekick?

Not really. You pay for both, and they're both expected to not always be around. The basic rule described under limited flaws states "As a general rule, the effect must lose about half its usefulness to qualify for this modifier." So if a -1 flaw abides by that then minion, sidekick, or summon would probably work for a -1.

SignalGK
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SignalGK » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:12 am

monele wrote:Buying that option as a specific power? Something more/else than Remote Sensing, Medium?

Remote sensing would be my personal choice however you could use a form of possession I suppose so the player can decide when he wants his minion/sidekick to turn his head etc. Also depends on what senses you want to tap into and if not possession does the player also need some form of communication option to enable them to control/communicate with the sidekick etc. from a distance..?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:14 am

By default, Remote Sensing leaves the user Vulnerable (half defenses) since they are less aware of their own surroundings. I could see making the minion Vulnerable for the same reason, and letting Simultaneous remove that limit on both ends. As for communication, a Communication Link with one person with unlimited range is a 1 rank Sense effect for 1p, so not a big deal.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:21 am

Summon already has the Mental Link extra which I'm using for this.

Return to “General M&M”