Power Level Limits and Advantages

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Mad Hamish
Bystander
Bystander

Power Level Limits and Advantages

Postby Mad Hamish » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:03 am

I'm a little bit unclear with how advantages interact with Power Level Limits.
From the section on power level limits
"Attack & Effect: The total of your hero’s attack bonus
and effect rank with that attack cannot exceed twice
the series power level. If an effect allows a resistance
check, but does not require an attack check, its effect
rank cannot exceed the series power level."

So if you're playing PL10 you can have +8/EV12, +10/EV10 etc

now many advantage let you trade points between effect value and to hit but what about All Out Attack where you trade defenses for a bonus to hit?
Does it bypass the power level limit or is it unusable if you are at the power level limits without it?

How about Defensive Attack? Can you trade from the bonus to hit for a bonus to Dodge and Parry if your combinded defenses are already at the campaign power level limits?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Power Level Limits and Advantages

Postby Monolith » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:21 am

The answer is yes to both. They are special tradeoffs that are allowed within the game.

Since characters are generally built to pl, or close to pl, the advantages would be useless if they were limited by pl values.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:50 am

And the "situational" bonuses like Favored Environment are allowed to break PL, but only for that situation and I'm pretty sure that 3E limits you to one rank of it.

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Maneuvers like power attack and the advantages that correspond to them allow one to exceed PL. Likewise, circumstance bonuses and any bonus from extra effort or hero point usage also ignore PL.

Whether you can combine the trade offs from two or more maneuvers at the same time is up to the GM, though.

Mad Hamish
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mad Hamish » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks people

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:40 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:And the "situational" bonuses like Favored Environment are allowed to break PL, but only for that situation and I'm pretty sure that 3E limits you to one rank of it.

It isn't even ranked, so you can only get it once. Though I presume you could do some silly things with Arrays... XD

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:14 am

Personally, I really like the idea. I've toyed with it in a 2E game or two that I've run, allowing people to go over PL by a bit with such specialized advantages. Not only does it make you feel a bit more like you're really getting an advantage from it rather than being slightly gimped 90% of the time, but it also works nicely for encouraging players to strategize to make sure that their edges come into play.

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 am

Doresh wrote:
FuzzyBoots wrote:And the "situational" bonuses like Favored Environment are allowed to break PL, but only for that situation and I'm pretty sure that 3E limits you to one rank of it.

It isn't even ranked, so you can only get it once. Though I presume you could do some silly things with Arrays... XD

No need to do silly things with Arrays, you just take it multiple times (once for each environment you need), but no it doesn't seem to allow multiple ranks for the same environment as that would get broken very fast. Personally as a GM I never allow favored opponent or environment without a good reason tied to character concept and am very careful about not allowing more than a couple favored opponents/environments.

Return to “General M&M”