Misc. Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Misc. Questions

Postby insaniac99 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:54 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:
insaniac99 wrote:No. Teleport sometimes could (you just teleport into the building which mechanically doesn't trigger stealth checks, but the SFX is freezing time and walking there. I might allow ranks of stealth limited to when moving, but I would probably encourage the player to use teleport instead.

Worth noting that Speed, Flight, and Teleport are all Noticeable by default (creating a particular whizzing sound, lighting, whatever), so you probably can't use Stealth with them unless you apply Subtle (although if you do have Subtle, they quickly make hash of the "half speed while Stealthing" rule).

True, but a time-traveling teleportation can be used stealthily simply by reappearing where no-one is, if no one is in the room to see a bright flash, it doesn't matter if you make it or not.

Squirrelly-sama
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Squirrelly-sama » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:55 pm

21) How do you handle fighting super huge opponents? Either a character with high ranks of growth or shrinking. My main concern is how melee is handled. Say a colossus 150 foot tall monstrosity tries to punch the hero does he dodge or parry? Is it an area attack due to the sheer size of the fist?

22) Is there a Flaw that's a reverse of the Fade flaw, in that you start at rank 1 and work your way up?

23) Can I limit an effect to only activate if it Crit. hits? How much would such a flaw be worth if I add 4 ranks of Improved Crit (1/5 chance)?

Edit:
24) How does Concentration work for movement effects? From what I understand it would mean that it costs a standard action to continue it on the next turn but couldn't you just simply say you stopped and started again? And if it takes a standard action on the first turn as well does it still count as a move action?

25) Turning Sustain or permanent effects into instant actions. Like say a character has some sort of burst speed that can't be maintained, or a martial artist who can tank a single devastating blow, or a telekenetic who's only ability is to hurl an object at bullet speed.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:51 pm

21) This is directly addressed in the Size Powers Profile:
M&M Gamemasters wanting to take these changes into account can apply the following guideline: An attacker three or more size categories larger than a target may treat attacks against that target as if they had the Area modifier (Deluxe Hero’s Handbook, page 190), including limiting the attack’s rank by power level. The base size of the area is the attacker’s size rank –3.

Using your example, a colossus 150 foot tall monstrosity would be Size Rank 3 (121-250ft) and would be able to do area attacks vs anything smaller than Size 0 (up to 30'), so it could easily punch a human size (rank -2) hero as an area attack, or even a group of them in an area less than 30' wide, although it would be limited to power level.

22) 3e doesn't do this, but 2e Mecha & Manga had a modifier called Charge Power. Basically the power would charge up 1 rank every turn and would require you to take the action needed to use it, which would usually be Standard (Free and Reaction powers weren't permitted to have this flaw), so it would take a long time to charge up a high rank power. If you could partially charge and fire it at any point with partial ranks, that was a -1 Flaw, and if you could only use it fully and any interruption meant starting over, it was a -2 Flaw. (The 2e rules regarding Concentration checks came into this, but 3e doesn't use that mechanic.) You could also buy Progression Feats (essentially 1p Power Advantages) to increase the charge amount per action by 1 to a maximum of 3 per action. Considering all the changes from 2e and the speed of most fights in 3e, it would really be up to the GM whether to allow some version of this in their game.

23) Purely a GM call. I would imagine either -1 or -2p/rank Flaw, but definitely not more than that.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:24 pm

24) This isn't really necessary or useful in 3e due to how the mechanics hang together. Think of it like this: The default action to activate most Movement Effects is a Free Action, but it still requires a Move action to actually move the distance that the effect allows. In theory, if you Flawed your Movement to Concentation Duration, you would effective require a Standard Action every time you wanted to use a Movement effect, and as a -1 Flaw you could buy twice the movement ranks for the same price. However, you can already choose to "swap" your Standard action for a Move Action on your turn and take two Moves, or "double-move", which would work out to the same effect, although you wouldn't be able to attack and move in the same turn. So you could, but I can't think of a situation where it's better than regular Movement.

25) There would have to be some other inherent limit to make it worth a Flaw, IMO. For many effects that are Sustained or Permanent, there would be no mechanical difference if the effect was Instant and the PC chose to use it for several turns in a row, so there would need to be some kind of limit to keep that from happening. I would think either version of Unreliable would be more appropriate, or even Tiring.

Burst of Speed: Speed 10, Tiring - 5p - stacks with existing speed, 1 rank of Fatigue would action drop normal speed by -1, which seems appropriate.
Indomitable Defense: Immunity to Toughness Effect, Tiring - 40p - expensive, but avoids all those PL issues. Also consider Ultimate Toughness for 1p.
Telekinetic Bullet: Ranged Damage 10, requires object -1p - 19p - this is just a Blast with a TK descriptor.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Squirrelly-sama
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Squirrelly-sama » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

26) A few questions on the Create effect

26a) Continuous Creations: do they count against your total mass created? If I created something with mass 2 does that mean the effect is now 2 ranks weaker until I dismiss it?

26b) How do you handle created weapons and equipment? Say some guy creates a sword with the power, does that sword still give normal equipment bonuses like a generic sword?

26c) How does subtle work exactly in relation to create? The desciption seems to imply that actual creating things isn't noticable just that the object's nature as artificial is. So does that mean with Subtle 2 attached to created objects look exactly like the real thing? So creating a perfect replica of the one of a kind object is possible (if you have precise)? Or is it just that the material that makes up the creation can't be sensed as artifical, such as a hero who can create crystals and crystaline objects.

26d) Would it ever be useful to have perception range create? and how would Burst area work on a create effect?

26e) Transform and Create. Would there ever be a reason to make a Dynamic Create and Transform (limited to created objects) array?

27) Strength-based blast damage. Basically a hero who can project his strength over a distance, perhaps he can warp space that his punchs can reach villains, or maybe he is a spearman and regualarly hurls his spears enough to warent it being an actual effect to be bought.

28) Recoil and self knockback. Basically the premiss of having an attack so powerful it knocks you back. Normally not a good thing but the concept I was invisioning was a controlled self knockback to launch the attacker out of melee range, the downside being that it always knocks the attacker out of melee range. I was thinking a linked Leaping 1 or would it be a feature?

29) Partially Ranged Damage: I've seen attacks that have partial Area affects on their blast attacks I was wondering if something similar can be done with making melee attack partial ranged. The idea is that if the attack hits at melee than they take all the damage but if they parry they still have to dodge the ranged effect. Example: The hero Rune Knight is a magic swordsman type character, she focuses on enchanting her blade and has achieve a level of skill high enough to cast and strike at the same time. Basically chaneling a fireball or what have you thought the blade.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26) A few questions on the Create effect
26a) Continuous Creations: do they count against your total mass created? If I created something with mass 2 does that mean the effect is now 2 ranks weaker until I dismiss it?

I don't believe they do count against total mass, at least right up until the point that they do (i.e. the GM tells you that there isn't enough moisture to create ice, your dimensional junk yard is out of Chevys to drop, etc), which may or may not entail a Hero Point depending on how forseeable it was that you ran out.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26b) How do you handle created weapons and equipment? Say some guy creates a sword with the power, does that sword still give normal equipment bonuses like a generic sword?

In my viewpoint, you don't. A Hero Point can be used to provide mundane equipment, but nothing special. Improvised weapons can be summoned to pick up and swing or throw, but nothing with an inherent damage bonus on a routine usage.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26c) How does subtle work exactly in relation to create? The desciption seems to imply that actual creating things isn't noticable just that the object's nature as artificial is. So does that mean with Subtle 2 attached to created objects look exactly like the real thing? So creating a perfect replica of the one of a kind object is possible (if you have precise)? Or is it just that the material that makes up the creation can't be sensed as artifical, such as a hero who can create crystals and crystaline objects.

As written in the book, one rank lets you make created objects that look like real things (so, as you said, creating replicas. Alternately, being able to summon a broken semi-trailer that looks like a semi-trailer) and two ranks lets you create invisible objects. Without that one-rank version, it looks like whatever your material is, and generally looks pretty unnatural. With it, it's arguable still out of the same material, but looks real (so if you have wood as your medium, you can summon a statue that looks like it's made out of marble, but it's still wood with all of its combustibility, density, etc. Precise would let you fine-tune things more, such as choosing to make the statue out of ironwood, which doesn't burn in most fires and sinks in water, as well as letting you build more complex structures. Personally, I'd rule the two ranks of Subtle as separate from each other such that one rank could mean that you can make it look like a real object or that you can vary transparency/translucency. Two ranks will let you do either or both.

I also believe that a skill check makes sense for crafting anything complex or realistic. For those with artistic skills or an expertise in the right area, that works just right. In some cases, it might be a Notice check or even a straight Int check (working from memory) to get all of the details right.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26d) Would it ever be useful to have perception range create? and how would Burst area work on a create effect?

It would let you create object from any distance, and I'd also argue that it eliminates the Reflex save for dropping an object on someone just like a Perception (Area) attack. I don't see any situation where a Burst area would make sense in general.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26e) Transform and Create. Would there ever be a reason to make a Dynamic Create and Transform (limited to created objects) array?

I'd generally see that as trying to dodge the mechanics of the game. Now having non-limited Transform, that seems alright to me.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:27) Strength-based blast damage. Basically a hero who can project his strength over a distance, perhaps he can warp space that his punchs can reach villains, or maybe he is a spearman and regualarly hurls his spears enough to warent it being an actual effect to be bought.

I see no problem with that. It's just Strength-Based damage with Ranged bought up.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26) A few questions on the Create effect

Before we get into this, let me just say that I sometimes wish the Effects were numbered instead of named, because then maybe people new to the game would make fewer assumptions about what each effect actually does. It's not their fault, and I know numbering the effects would make the game far less accessible, but this comes up a lot.

Create doesn't exactly create anything you want. The Create Effect essentially makes a volume of space that has mass and a Toughness trait, no more, no less. This Toughness Volume* can be used for any of the 4 mechanical effects described in the book:
- Cover and Concealment - you can hide behind it or inside it, like a bunker or protective wall.
- Trapping - you can trap other people behind it or inside it, like a cage or a bubble.
- Dropping - you can bonk or crush people with it.
- Supporting Weight - keep things from falling down

This is literally all the Create Effect is supposed to do. If you want to do something else, it's a different effect.

Moving on . . .

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26a) Continuous Creations: do they count against your total mass created? If I created something with mass 2 does that mean the effect is now 2 ranks weaker until I dismiss it?

This is actually a good question that I don't believe is officially addressed anywhere. Personally, I say no, meaning that yes, given enough time and even a little Continuous Create, you could in fact build a castle, MineCraft-style. Create 8 would make a Toughness Volume of 250 cubic feet weighing 6 tons and the same Toughness as a foot of stone every round, so assuming your Descriptor was to make stone you could easily make a stone house in about a minute, with stairs to a second floor, a chimney, and even working doors (hinges are specifically mentioned in RAW).

I think this would fit genre for most characters who can create or manipulate material that generally stays until it breaks/melts/whatever. It's not really that abusive, unless of course you're trying to make a weapons factory.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:26b) How do you handle created weapons and equipment? Say some guy creates a sword with the power, does that sword still give normal equipment bonuses like a generic sword?

Is this something you want to happen in your superhero game? I don't mean to be obtuse, but let me explain where I'm coming from. Generally the Superhero PCs that players make are relatively self-sufficient and built close to PL caps and have purchased everything they need for their concept (or as close as they can within budget constraints) so if those PCs need swords, they already have them, because equipment is cheap. So if they don't need it, who is "some guy" and why is he handing out free swords when he presumably has the ability to do a lot more? Is he arming the populace to overthrow the government? If so, that's a huge plot element and it doesn't need costing out.

But to answer your question, it depends on how you build it, and I wouldn't use Create. I can think of at least 4 ways I might do that:
- Create Equipment: Variable 1 (Mundane Equipment), Continuous +1, Affects Others +1, Subtle, Innate = 11p. This would allow you to create any piece of equipment in the book under 5ep, and a generic sword is 4ep. A GM allowing this may also allow 1ep of customization for equipment. It would take a Standard Action to make it and either keep it or give it away. You could buy it up to make it faster, but technically using Affects Others takes a Standard Action to give the power to someone, so I'm not sure how that should work, and really how fast do you need to churn these out? Technically the creator could also dismiss the sword anytime, but I don't think making it permanent should be a full flaw, especially since as a piece of equipment it can be easily taken away, disarmed, or stolen.
- Enhancement: Variable 2 (Magic Weapons), Continuous +1, Affects Others +1 = 18p. This allows you to make a power in the form of a magic weapon with up to 10p. You could make a Flaming Sword (Str-based Damage 5, Secondary Effect) and since it isn't built as equipment or with any removable flaw, this Flaming Sword can be given to someone as a full-on power that cannot be disarmed or taken away, although it can be nullified or dismissed by the creator.
- Transmutation: Transform 3 (Anything into Anything), Continuous - 18p. This is from the Element Power Profile regarding Transform:
Transform with the proper effect and rank can create equipment as the GM sees fit. Certainly, the effect can create weapons, tools, and similar things; A broad enough effect can probably create electronics and machines as well, up to and including vehicles, with sufficient rank. Transform cannot create devices, although the GM may permit it as a means of jury-rigging them (Deluxe Hero’s Handbook, page 212).

So 3 ranks of Transform could turn 6 pounds of steel/atmospheric nitrogen/kittens into 6 pounds of sword** as a Standard Action. Now apparently that's slightly heavy for a sword, but the real concern is the rank. Generic swords are rank 3 Str-based Damage, and using Transform to simulate other effects (as described in the sidebar for Transform in the core book) it is recommended to limit those effects to the rank of the Transform.
- Handwave it: I can't imagine a situation where a PC has to create a lot of swords in a short period is going to come up often, so I assume this is the kind of thing that could be handled by a stunt or a Hero Point, as Fuzzy Boots mentioned.
Squirrelly-sama wrote:26c) How does subtle work exactly in relation to create?

The base assumption is that Toughness Volume is made out of the same stuff all the way through. From the core book description for Create:
They may be made of solidified energy, “hardened” water or air, transmuted bulk matter, ice, stone, or some other medium, depending on the effect’s descriptors.
The best known example would be Green Lantern; all the stuff he makes is green and glowy, and it's always pretty clear who made it. Applying 1 rank of Subtle in this case makes the object not obviously constructed with a power; it's kind of a third use of Subtle, besides the DC20 Perception Check or the need for a non-standard Sense. One interpretation could be If someone had a Sense of an appropriate descriptor for the Create (ie Lantern Awareness), they may be able to spot a Subtle 1 construct even if it seemed real to everyone else, but 2 ranks would be undetectable.

26 d-e : Fuzzy's got it.
Squirrelly-sama wrote:27) Strength-based blast damage. Basically a hero who can project his strength over a distance, perhaps he can warp space that his punchs can reach villains, or maybe he is a spearman and regualarly hurls his spears enough to warent it being an actual effect to be bought.

If the Ranged Damage is the same rank as his STR, then you can just buy the Ranged Extra separately and say it applies to his STR damage. If it does less, buy fewer Ranged ranks; if more, add on STR-based damage and Range ranks. If it's Removable (say that spear), calculate based on the total of the separate Extra.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:28) Recoil and self knockback. Basically the premiss of having an attack so powerful it knocks you back. Normally not a good thing but the concept I was invisioning was a controlled self knockback to launch the attacker out of melee range, the downside being that it always knocks the attacker out of melee range. I was thinking a linked Leaping 1 or would it be a feature?

So it's a melee attack that always knocks you back 15' out of melee range? If your PC has a ranged attack, it's not that big a deal, and even if he doesn't, closing 15' is a single move action for just about everybody. In terms of action economy it's about equal to being Dazed for a round; even being knocked prone is a bigger threat since you're more vulnerable to close attacks. It would be a GM call and I would need more context; I don't think it should be worth more than a point, but I'm not sure if it should be a Feature or a Quirk.

Squirrelly-sama wrote:29) Partially Ranged Damage: I've seen attacks that have partial Area affects on their blast attacks I was wondering if something similar can be done with making melee attack partial ranged. The idea is that if the attack hits at melee than they take all the damage but if they parry they still have to dodge the ranged effect. Example: The hero Rune Knight is a magic swordsman type character, she focuses on enchanting her blade and has achieve a level of skill high enough to cast and strike at the same time. Basically chaneling a fireball or what have you thought the blade.

I'm gonna start with no, because the mechanics are really weird, and see if I change my mind by the end. Those partial Area were used to define the difference between a direct hit with an explosive missile and just get caught in the blast area of the explosion. The Heavy Weapons Gadget Guide goes into more detail, but essentially they build it as an Area first and then additional ranks for "Direct Hit" Damage. Here's the example they give:
A missile is Ranged Burst Area Damage 8 with Ranged Damage 2 (direct hit). If the missile scores a direct hit, the target resists Damage 10
(the base Damage, plus the direct hit). If the attack check fails, the target resists the missile’s Burst Area Damage normally (including rolling a Dodge resistance check to halve the effect).

The Direct Hit adds an Attack check to the Area Attack, which normally requires no check. Conversely, Range and Melee both require checks with different attack bonuses. There's actually a stronger argument to make the attack Partially Perception Range, since Perc like Area is PL capped and requires no attack check. I still don't know if I'd allow it, but it seems simpler to resolve.

Flaming Runesword: Perception Damage 6 plus Close Damage 4 (direct hit) = 22p

This would allow for a Damage 10 melee attack check, including any tradeoffs and circumstance modifiers, with the target resist Damage 10 on a direct hit and Damage 6 on a miss. That's actually pretty close to what you asked for, but there's fewer rolls. If you wanted the target to get a check versus the Perception attack, you could add 5 ranks of Resistible Flaw . . . although technically that would mean the target could resist the Direct Hit and effectively take only 4 damage. I was going to suggest Linking two attacks, but the first line says they need to be the same range -- obviously to avoid these kind of problems.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to work quite the way you suggested, but hopefully this is good enough.

*Yeah, Toughness Volume! That would keep people from thinking it's a weapon factory power. I may use that all the time now.

My Rules Musings in 3e

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:31 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:I don't believe they do count against total mass, at least right up until the point that they do (i.e. the GM tells you that there isn't enough moisture to create ice, your dimensional junk yard is out of Chevys to drop, etc), which may or may not entail a Hero Point depending on how forseeable it was that you ran out.

Ditto, but with the proviso that I may give the player a hero point (especially if I'm dicking him around by pulling that smack bang in the middle of combat), or my villain a villain point if the player happens to tap that aspect of the villain (I've done this with Hailstorm a few times since I gave him the "I'm all out of web fluid" complication).
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Squirrelly-sama
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Squirrelly-sama » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am

30) Is there a reason to buy Presence rather than just buying the skills? It's the only Ability where what it buys is less than it's cost. Strength gives you 2.5 points of effect for every rank and the rest give 2points for every rank, but presence only has three skills associated with it. On a similar note is there a reason to buy dexterity if you aren't going to regularly driving vehicles?

31) Death Based complications. I'm currious on what would and would not work and how you can give Hero points for something when it means that your character would be dead.
31a) Cu Chulain has taken various Geass to gain power but betraying them means suffering certain consequences one of which would mean instant death.
31b) Litchking has gained immortality by sealing his soul in a Phylactory but should it ever be destroyed than he'll instantly die.
31c) Devilman gets his powers from a bet with a demon. Should he lose the bet or die before finishing his soul is damned.
31d) Nursery Rhyme is a Servant in the Holy Grail War and as such partnered with a normal little girl named Alice. Due to the rules of the Holy Grail War if Nursery Rhyme dies so too does her friend.

32) Alternate Character as a Complication. It's sorta hard to explain, basically weather or not I'd need to buy up effects for what is essentially a Berserk state.
For example: The Hero Demoniac gets his powers from a demon sealed inside him. But if his will falters too much he could get possessed by the Demon. The demon is much stronger than Demoniac but is extremely unlikely to act in any way that's favorable to him should he ever get out.
So you basically the character becomes an entirely different character with different powers and different goals but is handed over to the GM for the entire time.

33) What skill would you use for riding animals?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 pm

30) Generally if you add additional skills, like an expertise that uses pre, presence becomes more worthwhile. I use presence checks as part of a free action morale system, and a reputation system, so there's more reason for people to buy pre in my games.

As for dex, it's also useful for ranged combat. If you have a lot of different ranged attacks that might require different skills: spells, bows, thrown knives, etc, then having a higher dex might be more useful. It really depends on the character's needs.

31) If you're going to have a death complication the hero points don't really matter, as the character will die if the complication comes up. If you're going to use a death complication both the player and gm understand that doing it means the end of the character.

32) Sounds like a morph with metamorph complication. The demon would have its own character sheet and stats and when the player loses control the demon comes out and the player gets a hero point when the demon leaves.

33) You can require an expertise or simply allow athletics to cover it.

Squirrelly-sama
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Squirrelly-sama » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Monolith wrote:30) Generally if you add additional skills, like an expertise that uses pre, presence becomes more worthwhile. I use presence checks as part of a free action morale system, and a reputation system, so there's more reason for people to buy pre in my games.

As for dex, it's also useful for ranged combat. If you have a lot of different ranged attacks that might require different skills: spells, bows, thrown knives, etc, then having a higher dex might be more useful. It really depends on the character's needs.

31) If you're going to have a death complication the hero points don't really matter, as the character will die if the complication comes up. If you're going to use a death complication both the player and gm understand that doing it means the end of the character.

32) Sounds like a morph with metamorph complication. The demon would have its own character sheet and stats and when the player loses control the demon comes out and the player gets a hero point when the demon leaves.

33) You can require an expertise or simply allow athletics to cover it.

I am aware of the Ranged bonus that Dex gives. But that can easily be bought up with either for the specific method you use to fight (guns, magic, knives) or with the Ranged Attack advantage if you use multiple types. I'm just wondering if there's some kind of other thing that Dexterity helps with, like how strength can resist Snares or intelligence for knowing or figuring things out. If you don't plan on driving a lot there's no point in buying up dex rather than just Ranged Attack advantage and the Sleight of Hand skill.

32) Would I still have to use points to buy it? It's not something that will really be used often if at all intentionally.

----

34) Immortality. Something that kind of bugs me is the use of it over Regeneration since M&M makes it so very hard for the character to actually die. Does this mean that the Immortal character is going to be easier to kill? If so than it seems unfair that they lose their hero points everytime.
34a) Also would it be okay to buy a 1 point feature that instantly activates the Immortality? It seems about right since a player could easily just by a Knife for a single point and "Manually" activate it themselves.

35) Controlled Characters. How exactly does that work? What are the limits?
35a) Boneka has touch-based telekinetic powers and uses it in conjunction with wires to essentially physically force people to act as like her puppets.
35b) The Herbologist has a synthesized a drug that makes the person extremely suggestible allowing him to essentially control the other person.
35c) Impulse can inplant "Reflexs" in a persons mind so that they will act a certain when a certain event happens.
35d) Psychoba can body snatch characters, he jumps into someone who's "powers" are based on either skill or intelligence.

36) I notice that the Movement effect is Sustained. I understand that this makes sense for something like Wall crawl but for a few others how does it work? Do you instantly teleport back if you get KOed in another dimension.

37) Is there a reason Shrinking is so expensive? I crunched the numbers on it. Shrinking 8 will give you 8 ranks of Stealth, 4 for dodge and parry, and will reduce your size by two. 12-14 points of effects. But it also costs you 2 ranks of strength, 4 ranks of Intimidation, and a rank of speed (I'm unsure if this effects flying and leaping), which costs seven points. Meaning that it's about 7 points all around. Yet it costs you 16 points (2per rank)for this 7 points worth of effects.

38) Would the ability to mimic voices and sounds be a feature or a limited morph?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:13 pm

There are other things which use dex, such as catching. If the gm never requires a player to make ability checks for things then any ability not directly related to damage or defense can seem purposeless.

32) No. It's just a complication. Really no different then Captain Marvel and Billy Batson or Banner and Hulk.

34) Immortality is always on and always activates by itself. How quickly it works entirely depends on the ranks you purchase. And no, it doesn't mean a character is easier to kill, nor does it mean characters that die should get hero points, it's simply a flavor power that some character concepts need.

35) How control works is based off of how you purchase it as the affliction. The stock seems to be dazed, compelled, and controlled. The resistance check is determined by the descriptor. A mentalist will use will, a drug will use fort, a body controller might use dodge or parry. It also depends on whether it's instant, concentration, or sustained duration.

The basic idea is that if you get someone compelled you give them an instruction and they have a single action per turn to try and do that instruction. So if you compel someone to attack a teammate the character is going to use its single standard action each turn to first reach the target and then attack the target. If you get them controlled they get the regular move and standard action.

The Boneka example could be the dodge check. The Herbologist example could be the fort check. Your impulse example could be a control affliction with the trigger advantage.

36) Each movement power has its own duration. Flight is sustained. Teleport is instant.

37) 4 ranks of shrinking costs 8 pts. It gives +2 dodge, +2 parry, +4 stealth. That is 6 pts of benefit. On the other end you lose -1 str and -4 intimidate. That's essentially -4 pts. It's hard to put a value on other things that might benefit you by being small. In generally it doesn't seem cost effective, though.

Of course being cost effective isn't always the most important thing to be in a game. :)

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Squirrelly-sama wrote:31) Death Based complications. I'm currious on what would and would not work and how you can give Hero points for something when it means that your character would be dead.
31a) Cu Chulain has taken various Geass to gain power but betraying them means suffering certain consequences one of which would mean instant death.
31b) Litchking has gained immortality by sealing his soul in a Phylactory but should it ever be destroyed than he'll instantly die.
31c) Devilman gets his powers from a bet with a demon. Should he lose the bet or die before finishing his soul is damned.
31d) Nursery Rhyme is a Servant in the Holy Grail War and as such partnered with a normal little girl named Alice. Due to the rules of the Holy Grail War if Nursery Rhyme dies so too does her friend.

Here's how I would handle these:
1) If following a Geass would cause Cu Chulain to do something he'd rather not, that would be worth a HP
2) If his Phylactory is threatened somehow, that would be worth a HP
3) Similar to #1. If the conditions of the bet cause him to do something undesirable, he could get a HP.
4) If Nursery Rhyme has to act in an overly cautious manner because he's concerned about risking Alice's life, that could be worth a HP

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:18 pm

30) In regard to Abilities in general, some have suggested that they are unnecessary since you can buy all of their effects separately, and since M&M3e is more effects-based, having them as "package deals" that are more or less effective than buying a la carte is just another reason to do away with them altogether. At best, they provide a good shorthand and a touchstone for players familiar with other games that use similar attributes.

At the other end of the spectrum, some GMs houserule a few bonuses to make those other abilities worth it. I've seen PRE allow a single PRE-based Advantage for each rank used a few times, and shifting Initiative bonus away from AGI to DEX to help balance that out.

31) Death-based Complications aren't appropriate for most superhero-based games, since death is not as common as in some genres, or is heavily plot-driven, or is easily overcome. The base assumptions of the mechanics make it difficult to kill anybody, so it would really be up to the GM since they are the ones setting up death in their campaign.

32 feels mostly covered, although I'd be concerned about execution. If the Complication takes control of the character away from the player and gives it to the GM, statting out the alternate hardly seems necessary. It also seems kind of annoying, since it essentially sidelines that player and potentially becomes a Complication for the rest of the players. The player losing control would have to be cool with basically taking a break for that time, or possibly have another character they can play in that interim. Or the player could roleplay the Berserk and actually take detrimental actions to earn Hit Points for the team; that would be more challenging and require quite a bit of GM/player trust, but seems a better solution than benching that player.

34) Immo's a weird power. At ranks 1-5, PC's are out of actions for days to weeks, which can potentially exclude them from an entire session or even a short campaign. Up to rank 10, they're gone for hours to a day, which will probably let them join the action again, but they'll likely miss out on a few scenes. Up to rank 15 they may be able to come back during a scene, but you can still have the same issue of long-term benching as mentioned with the Berserk in 32. Rank 16+ they can conceivably come back during the same combat, but now they've spent over 30p on this power, and it's really debatable whether that's worth it, especially when you can get roughly the same effect out of Diehard, some Regen and a good Deception check, or even a Scene Edit. Overall, the power is only really appropriate if the player doesn't mind spending the points (or the GM houserules something cheaper) and also doesn't mind being killed occasionally to make the purchase worth it.

And while making it Activate-able may fit a concept, I don't see how it improves any of those issues.

35) Monolith's got most of this covered. Controlled is an Affliction, and the most common use of it is as Mind Control, as described in the sample power in the Handbook. You can change the Range, resistance and other factors to customize it for your concept. I would add:
a) Boneka's power could potentially be overcome by something like Strength as an Alternate Resistance.
b) the Herbologist drug could be Slow (-1) to take over a minute to circulate through the subject, and also Progressive so that it eventually reaches full control if the subject doesn't successfully resist. Subtle and Insidious are always useful.
c) Monolith's suggestion of Triggered is awesome. Resistance wouldn't start until after the Trigger sets off the power.
d) Possession has its own issues, not the least of which is what to do with the controller's body while he's "riding" someone else. There are a few long threads on that.

36) Movement is a little counterintuitive mechanically. Think of it this way: all movement requires a Move Action, but to access other movement modes you need to activate and sustain a Movement Effect. Flight is sustained and allows you to use Move Actions to move in 3 dimensions instead of 2. Teleport is Instant and allows you to use a Move Action to move from one point to another without crossing the intervening space. Dimensional/Space/Time Travel allow a Move action for the respective effect. Turning off the movement power intentionally or otherwise does not retroactively negate any moves you've already made.

37) The package deals that are Size Powers cause problems that are similar to those of Abilities only much worse, and most of the same arguments apply. I favor using the powers as written only for inspiration, then just building the powers using component Effects plus a few Features and/or Complications to cover other elements of bigness/smallness. This makes it much easier to make a character concept the size you want without constantly hitting PL ceilings. Generally Shrinking ends up being cheaper and Growth more expensive, but I think overall it's more balanced, so it really depends on what you favor.

38) Voice mimicry assumes you're trying to sound like someone else, which is a form of Deception which should be opposable by the right skills or senses. There are a lot of ways you could do it.
- It could be a Feature that gives a bonus (say +5) to a base Deception check for just using voice. Excellent for over phone or radio or physically out of sight.
- It could be an Audio Illusion, limited to Close Range (sound still comes from you and can therefore be used to locate you) and Voices. That costs 1p / 4 ranks and can be used as Illusion to be countered by Insight, but only if the subject has reason to disbelieve (mimic says something unexpected or out of character or makes unusual demands).
- Limited Morph is a possibility, giving +20 to Deception for the character. If you do Limited to Voice even as a -1 Flaw, that works out to 4p/rank. Rank 1 would be one different voice you could imitate practically flawlessly, 2 ranks would be a range of voices (?), 3 ranks could be any humanoid voice, 4 would be any possible voice (animals? aliens?)

The cost vary somewhat, but not as much as I would have thought. Personally, I think Illusion hits the sweet spot for matching mechanics and cost.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “General M&M”