Silly Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Silly Questions

Postby JDRook » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:38 pm

21 - I find most Movement Attacks annoying because they have absolute results (doesn't work/works at maximum effect) versus most every other kind of attack which have staged effects of varying degrees depending on how well the target resists (and deciding what is an appropriate resistance can be troublesome as well).

There are several Flinging/Throwing/Knockback style powers in the Power Profiles books, particularly in the Strength Profile, and they usually use a Str or Move Object effect with the distance thrown equal to Effect Rank minus the Mass rank of the target. There is also a "staged" option where the distance rank is equal to how much the resistance check failed by (similar to Weaken), with the maximum rank equal to Effect - Mass. Incidentally, this would always work at maximum range on minions.

So I would favor the latter option. I don't think flinging people away should be too easy between roughly even opponents. Most of the resistance checks are against Str or Dodge, which is a reasonable way to give PCs a chance to defend against it and sweep most minor NPCs away easily.

Applying the same logic to Space/Time/Dimensional Movement Attacks is trickier, and probably better as a plot device, meaning I wouldn't likely give it to a player.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:48 pm

What if the result failed by was the maximum leaping rank applied? Sort of like Weaken.
Telekinesis [2/Rank], Damaging [+1/Rank], Duration - Instant [-2/Rank] = 1/Rank power that can do both ranged damage, or move things at range in one burst.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Is that a question or are you thinking out loud again, because I'm pretty sure that is what I suggested, albeit in fewer words.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 am

Thinking out loud... and sleeping aid was kicking in...
Seemed like it would lessen the effect a lot on non-minions given it's rank-2 in distance measurement (ooh, made them move 30ft...), and I think you can throw people pretty far (and for damage) with move-object on a pass-fail basis, right?
Main reasons I thought of leaping-attack, was 1 - it's funny as hell. 2 - It's non-damaging and doesn't require concentration (unlike move object and such), when they fall they land harmlessly. 3 - easily countered by flight, or even swinging.
Would work really well for an anime-esque setting.
Girl hammer. :D
Telekinesis [2/Rank], Damaging [+1/Rank], Duration - Instant [-2/Rank] = 1/Rank power that can do both ranged damage, or move things at range in one burst.

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:27 am

22 - Flaming Sphere, White Salamander, etc. How would one go about making a mobile damaging effect? Not something that can be attacked, like a summon effect, but a manifestation of damaging energy that remains where it is unless directed to move by the character.
Like the D&D Flaming Sphere spell, a ball of fire that can roll about on command and burns anything touching or adjacent to it.
Or the White Salamander of Alternity's Dark Matter, an ethereal worm of flame that flies wherever directed and burns whatever it touches.

:mrgreen:

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:39 am

Concentration damage, possibly area, ranged or perception range. Concentration damage keeps going as long as you concentrate on it. You can also make it sustained if you want to not use your standard action.

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:52 am

But isn't that a "once you hit someone, you keep the effect going so you don't have to hit again"? As opposed to an effect you can move about from target to target, or just let sit and damage a place.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:05 pm

That is part of Concentration, but not the whole of it. It just allows you to maintain an effect continuously in exchange for Standard Actions. To be fair, Area and Perception Attacks don't actually require hit checks, so there's not really any mechanical difference between using either of those with a Concentration Duration or an Instant Duration that you simply choose to use every turn.

That said, directing a "damage mass" to wander between targets is mechanically identical to just continuously throwing damage out from yourself, UNLESS that mass can attack something you couldn't currently target, in which case you might want to make it an independent minion.

Flaming Sphere Array:
- Indiscriminate Damage: Ranged Burst Area Damage 10
- Discriminate Damage: Perception Range Damage 10
- Sic' Em!: Summon 10, Active (150p Flaming Sphere Minion)

My Rules Musings in 3e

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:10 am

23 - All or nothing effect, would it be viable to have a flaw, like limited degree, that removes the effect of lower degrees?
So, like an affliction or damage, with -1, would have no effect on 1 degree of failure, but have the normal 2-degree and worse effects?

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:37 am

24 - Mental Communication: is it two-way by default (can anyone with a mind respond so long as you maintain the channel?) or would you need affects others +1 on there?
Adding a rapid or two, could one telepath effectively act as the comm. system for a party?

Inscribed
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Inscribed » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:56 am

Nizkateth wrote:24 - Mental Communication: is it two-way by default (can anyone with a mind respond so long as you maintain the channel?) or would you need affects others +1 on there?
Adding a rapid or two, could one telepath effectively act as the comm. system for a party?

Wouldn't even need that, appearantly. At least not according to the Mental Powers Power Profile.

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:15 am

Generally safest to assume I don't have a particular power profile or gadget guide... I'm too poor.
:lol:

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Nizkateth wrote:23 - All or nothing effect, would it be viable to have a flaw, like limited degree, that removes the effect of lower degrees?
So, like an affliction or damage, with -1, would have no effect on 1 degree of failure, but have the normal 2-degree and worse effects?

They introduced "Limited to 3rd Degree" as a -1 Flaw which I often use for all or nothing effects. Unfortunately, it does make for weird balance issue if you want to pull out just first degree. GM call, really.

Nizkateth wrote:24 - Mental Communication: is it two-way by default (can anyone with a mind respond so long as you maintain the channel?) or would you need affects others +1 on there?

No need for Affects Others. Think of it like each mind is now a terminal that is logged into your M-Comm server. Technically AfO would let them all be servers, too. :D Also, M-Comm allows you to hook up as many people as you have Free Actions (and can sense), so it's GM call what the limit should be. I figure tying it to Will somehow is probably reasonable, especially since most mentalists will have a lot of it. Basically, you can use vanilla M-Comm to hook up your team with a private comm system (which I suspect would be a primary use), and for the cost you should.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:52 am

25 - If measures are everything up to their rating... then wouldn't anyone 6'1" or taller actually be Size Rank -1 instead of -2?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:01 pm

25 - not if you use the metric table. In other words it's really not that specific.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “General M&M”