Silly Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Silly Questions

Postby Nizkateth » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:23 am

Not that it would do anything anyway, aside from make you even bigger if you buy many ranks in growth.
4 ranks, 30ft.
Mechanically, no change.
:D
Telekinesis [2/Rank], Damaging [+1/Rank], Duration - Instant [-2/Rank] = 1/Rank power that can do both ranged damage, or move things at range in one burst.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Not sure what you're talking about here. I've often mentioned not buying Growth as it's both discounted too steeply and too troublesome to make PL fit, especially when bought permanent. If you buy Elongation with the description "Embiggening", you can spend 1p to be 15 feet tall, or 2p to be 30', or just 1p to be permanently 30' tall, with no additional mechanical differences except an improved Reach. That 1p you're saving should entail some kind of drawback, of course, or you can get Way Too Big! as a Complication. Then you can add STR and STA and Intimidation and whatever you need to build your giant PC.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:12 am

My point was just that even if you count people who are 6'1" and taller as size rank -1 instead of -2, that doesn't really change anything mechanically. Except that if you do buy growth at 4+ ranks, you'll be taller than someone who was 6' or shorter. The stats don't change.
Telekinesis [2/Rank], Damaging [+1/Rank], Duration - Instant [-2/Rank] = 1/Rank power that can do both ranged damage, or move things at range in one burst.

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:13 am

26 - Disembodied psychic consciousness of a comatose person (astral projection): character with innate insubstantial and life-support, and a complication of "has a helpless body somewhere"? Or remote viewing and perception-range effects with a body that has debilitated physical stats? Or other?

:mrgreen:

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:16 am

26: Complication, I think. It's a hero point scenario for the most part.

Unless it was perhaps in 2nd edition, in which case it might be a Normal Identity or Weakness drawback. Or possibly a continuous permanent Alternate Form with the projection flaw. There are many ways of modelling those sorts of things, I suppose.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:20 am

26 - depends on how long you want the coma to last and what the consciousness is capable of. The Mystic Archetype has Astral Projection which is just Remote Sensing with a Limitation that the host body is completely Defenseless (instead of Vulnerable by default), so it's largely a recon tool and only used occasionally. That build is also "anchored" to the body, with the range defined by the rank of RS, which conceptually could be the astral cord connecting the projection to the body.

For a long-term coma -- something that would last at least a game session or two, if not whole campaigns -- you would probably want more powers that just looking at things, like communicate or manipulate things. You can simulate a lot of stuff with Perception Range effects through RS: Telepathy or Mind Control, Telekinesis, Mental Blasts, even Magic Spells. Again, the only limit is how far your RS lets you go from your body. The inherent advantage is that "travel" for RS is essentially instantaneous in that range. Global range RS is rank 22 (or 21 if your GM doesn't mind measuring through the earth).

If you don't want to be tethered to the body (at least rules-wise), then you might want to build the projection as the PC, with Innate Insub and Life Support. You would have the ability to talk and be heard normally and use all normal human senses for free, but you'd also have to buy movement, likely as Flight or Teleport.

Life Support could literally be the machines keep you alive. For the RS version, a generous GM might allow that to be an HQ Feature. For the full separate PC, I'd buy it full.

If the body doesn't get up regularly (at least once a session) and do things, I'd probably recommend the latter option with the body as Complication, with it just being a more extreme version of the Captain Marvel/Billy Batson trope. Squeezing it for debilitated Ability points would be abusive.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Yeah, long-term vegetative state. Likely never going to "wake up."
In essence, the mind has left the body and can move about. But technically, if the body were killed, they would die along with it.

Immortality (limited - if body is killed)? Would that make sense? Nothing can permanently kill the thought-form, but if you put a pillow over the face of the body (so to speak) you can finish them easily.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:37 pm

The effect of Immortality would be that attacks that "kill" the thought-form would dissipate it for (whatever time based on Immo-rank). At Insub 4 you're still susceptible to Will-targeting effects and something else appropriate for your concept and setting, so it's possible but not common to "kill" your thought-form. Killing the host body would be part of the Complication, but a clever villain would probably get more mileage out of holding it hostage and getting the PC to do anything he asks.

My Rules Musings in 3e

ronyon
Partisan
Partisan

Postby ronyon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:59 pm

JDRook wrote:
ronyon wrote:
Nizkateth wrote:15 - How would you handle a character that exists only as a digital consciousness? . . .

I like putting them in a digital dimension. Dimensional Movement,Affliction , Move Object,Teleport, Detect Technology. Add Dimensional and Feedback as appropriate. I use this to model animated object minions but it would work great for a digital consciousness. I also like to use Contagious on the Move Object and Affliction to maximize the spere of influnce. For example taking over a computer, the data lines and anything attached to it, or a car, the road and everything riding on it.

Creating a separate dimension seems like overkill to me, unless you intend to make that digital dimension a regular part of your setting, complete with the possibility of being directly engaged in that dimension. That would actually be interesting and it enriches your game world. Otherwise it's just another Bathroom Psychic or Completely Intangible/Undetectable Foe that messes stuff up with little fear of retaliation. On the other hand, I do like the use of Contagious in this context.

I use Feedback to avoid this. Damage the object (s) under my control, damage me. Like Possesion for machsines.

I would like a good way to describe Feedback for non-damaging Effects.
I like a custom dimension better than Insubstantial. Less cost, less baggage and easily bypassed by one point of Dimensional.
I am thinking of a man with two brains, second brain is a minion/duplicate in a "Brain" dimension, using DDimensional, Precise Move Objects, Limited to "the body" with Feedback.

Crazy? Yeah probably. ..

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Feedback would be a great way to easily do the "alternate-dimension" digital realm, while still making the enemy readily vulnerable to retaliation.
I like it.
:D

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:57 pm

27 - Activation (in this case, standard action) with Instant effects: do you need to spend the activation time before each use, or do you do so once and now the power is "primed" and can be used repeatedly? And if it is the latter, how would I go about doing the former?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:18 am

Nizkateth wrote:27 - Activation (in this case, standard action) with Instant effects: do you need to spend the activation time before each use, or do you do so once and now the power is "primed" and can be used repeatedly? And if it is the latter, how would I go about doing the former?

The Activation flaw is the later; priming the effects within its purview so they can be used for the scene (or until deactivated, voluntarily or involuntarily). Like activating an alternate form that gives you icy breath, bringing a weapon system online, or such like. It makes the instant duration powers available for use (and that use is a separate action).

To have such an Instant effect automatically deactivated on use (like a crossbow that need to be reloaded), apply a Quirk flaw.

Alternatively, the Increased Action flaw (page 148 of the Heroes Handbook) allows the action required to use a power to be increased one step per application from Reaction to Free, Move, or Standard. Although there is no Full Action in 3Ed, a GM might be willing to allow it.

Nizkateth
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Nizkateth » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 am

So, if I had a complex set of magic (in a low-ish, PL6 or so, type game) that took a turn to prepare and a skill check, then was released next action, but had to be charged again for each spell:
Check Required (4-5), Activation (standard 2, move 1), Quirk - Deactivates after each cast (1)
I'd save 8-9PP?

Return to “General M&M”