Emerald City Is Here!

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Re: Emerald City Is Here!

Post by JonL »

HappyDaze wrote:
JonL wrote:
HappyDaze wrote: Olympic Cards & Comics
Lacey, WA
(360) 459-7721
Talk to Paul (he does most of the RPG stuff)

Please contact them ASAP, they've been trying to get in on this for the last three products and they claim they've not heard back from Green Ronin.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. We work best via email. Do you have the email address for your store?

Or alternatively, you can have them email Nicole directly at nicole at greenronin doc com, please? She can take care of the codes with them directly that way.
Way back with DC Universe I got them the email links. They tried that route and no one responded. Here are the business emails for them:
gabi@olympiccardsandcomics.com or gab@olympiccardsandcomics.com
Thanks!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Post by HappyDaze »

I was contacted by my FLGS and told the email came in. My thanks to both Jon and Nicole.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Post by Foreshadow »

Emerald City Knights assumes all heroes are human. It mentions costumed heroes aren't really part of the landscape, though occasionally. Then in the first scene sets up that those who aren't super should not be in the epicenter of the silver storm. If a character is not super but more like a tech wizard type, or costumed hero then why weren't they active beforehand? I suppose it could be their first ever, and then you could have a legacy hero situation.

Plus I think there should be a little page about what if your hero is from something established in freedom city: Lor republic, from an alternate reality like the one with apes or animals, and what some of those choices might be. Like your from some place where a non-human 'race' is from in freedom city. Not that you can't do that, but the setting should mention that.

If this is in there, where is it?

When Freedom City 3e is done, a set of racial templates would be nice, and for legacy heroes. It might be useful to just have them reprinted on one page at the back of the book so you don't have to flip around.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Monolith »

Foreshadow wrote:Emerald City Knights assumes all heroes are human. It mentions costumed heroes aren't really part of the landscape, though occasionally. Then in the first scene sets up that those who aren't super should not be in the epicenter of the silver storm. If a character is not super but more like a tech wizard type, or costumed hero then why weren't they active beforehand?
I think you answered your own question when you typed 'though occasionally.' Historically EC doesn't have a lot of heroes, but they have had a few. An existing character not caught in the storm could be one of the few.
Plus I think there should be a little page about what if your hero is from something established in freedom city: Lor republic, from an alternate reality like the one with apes or animals, and what some of those choices might be. Like your from some place where a non-human 'race' is from in freedom city. Not that you can't do that, but the setting should mention that.
I can't see why any game supplement would need to go into dozens of different potential origin details like that. It's far, far easier to ask 'what if' then it is to answer all the what if questions. The gm needs to have some input into what's going into his game and how he wants to handle it.

Some of the things you're asking for might be in the cosmic book and in the upcoming atlas pdfs, too.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

Foreshadow wrote:Emerald City Knights assumes all heroes are human. It mentions costumed heroes aren't really part of the landscape, though occasionally. Then in the first scene sets up that those who aren't super should not be in the epicenter of the silver storm. If a character is not super but more like a tech wizard type, or costumed hero then why weren't they active beforehand?
Because.

And honestly thats about the extent of it: It is, because the writers said so... An the writers said so, because they needed an origin event to explain the presense of numerous villains that they can jobber into the ECK's modules, without a lot of creativity, while still keeping the presence of other hero types down to essentially zero.

Personally i did it the other way round: My city setting has always had heroes, they just had a tendency to be focused on a single criminals machinations, uninterested in press or left the city for greener pastures. What my city has never had is a super group, or long established, well liked superheroes. Though it currently does have 2 local superheroes doing there own thing & at least one vigilante style character, but all three are new characters who have only been around for the past 2 years.

Two different ways of doing the same thing: Both work, both have different qualities & different pro's & cons.
Monolith wrote:
I can't see why any game supplement would need to go into dozens of different potential origin details like that. It's far, far easier to ask 'what if' then it is to answer all the what if questions. The gm needs to have some input into what's going into his game and how he wants to handle it.
Hmmmmm, i seem to recall TSR/WotC did something similiar with Alternity at one point... A book of alternate realities... hold on a second, let me employee some Google-Fu

* moves into crouching keyboard, hidden mouse stance*

Ah, here we go: It was called Tangents

http://www.sfsite.com/gif/9905/tgents2.jpg
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Monolith »

saint_matthew wrote:Because.

And honestly thats about the extent of it: It is, because the writers said so... An the writers said so, because they needed an origin event to explain the presense of numerous villains that they can jobber into the ECK's modules, without a lot of creativity, while still keeping the presence of other hero types down to essentially zero.
Without spoiling anything for anyone, EC was full of supers before the storm. The module series is an offhand extension of the city. The module isn't the setting. It's just a way of getting the players into the setting.
Hmmmmm, i seem to recall TSR/WotC did something similiar with Alternity at one point... A book of alternate realities... hold on a second, let me employee some Google-Fu

* moves into crouching keyboard, hidden mouse stance*

Ah, here we go: It was called Tangents

http://www.sfsite.com/gif/9905/tgents2.jpg
I'd say that's more the exception rather then the norm, though. In a superhero game you have unlimited origin potential, from evolved rabbit, to lemurian lavamen, to cosmic gods. There's really just too much potential to cover them all.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

Monolith wrote:Without spoiling anything for anyone, EC was full of supers before the storm.
Then i'll be honest & say i feel a little misled: But i suppose thats a good enough point as any in not talking about a project until its either near completion of the writing & creative stages: Just letting the work speak for itself.
Monolith wrote:I'd say that's more the exception rather then the norm, though. In a superhero game you have unlimited origin potential, from evolved rabbit, to lemurian lavamen, to cosmic gods. There's really just too much potential to cover them all.
Indeed it is the exception.... The main difference being that in other games creating new species is hard, in M&M its not only easy, but also fun.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Post by Foreshadow »

Foreshadow looks down the bottom of a can of worms he didn't know he opened. :shock:

Spoiler (dont' read if you haven't read the darn module)

I will add that the start of ECK states if your hero doesn't already have powers they soon will via the silver storm, and sets it up that more than likely that will be the reason for most of the character origins as a chief assumption. Later though in another chapter it talks about if that is the origin something negative might result and what should the GM do about it, and then asking the player IF they want such a negative complication and hand them a hero point. No, its not a matter IF, you had that origin which the adventure calls for most of the heros (perhaps all) and thus at that point in the later chapter, you simply hand the characters the hero point.

It made it sound in the later chapter like heroes might have other origins, hence my entire question about addressing other origins, other than that silver storm, in the beginning of the adventure. It made sense to me. Looking at the Sentinels, we have Kid Robot and the Rook, both of which would have non-silver storm origins right?

I think what might have been good is to say 'legacy heroes, newly established heroes' as a sidebar assumption. Assuming the Rook or Kid Robot had at least one prior solo adventure and just so happened to be in EC near the Silver Storm which is fine. The module though, seems silent about that possibility.

It does talk about the Gm 'doing the work' to get characters into a position they are in EC near the area of the silver storm. Ok, so that is where I'd want that little half page of information about what I'm asking. It just seemed very hand wavy.

:arrow: On a side note, after reading about the silver storm, I thought: exobyte DC Online........

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Monolith »

It's not so much a can of worms as it is understanding that the setting is a little more complex then: city devoid of superhumans; fill at your leisure after silver storm.

If you read the setting it becomes clear that it's a fairly traditional comic book city. It has legends, and mystic areas, and aliens, and everything you'd see in normal comic cities. You can't base the setting only on what someone might read in the ECK modules.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Post by Foreshadow »

Ok then, is there a bit of info like I'm asking in the setting where that origin question is addressed weaving characters into a more traditional comic book city and then used in ECK?

That would be the best place for it.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Monolith »

Foreshadow wrote:Ok then, is there a bit of info like I'm asking in the setting where that origin question is addressed weaving characters into a more traditional comic book city and then used in ECK?

That would be the best place for it.
There's 5 or 6 pages in the player's guide talking about origins within the setting covering things like genetic/mutation, xeno-genes, tech, and the like.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

Monolith wrote:You can't base the setting only on what someone might read in the ECK modules.
As good a reason as any not to bring out the modules before the setting.
-Isaac Asimov

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Post by JonL »

Over the weekend we decided to offer the Emerald City PDF for sale as individual products (due to comments made here) and Marc and Evan got it done super-fast!

The news is here:

http://greenronin.com/2013/11/emerald_city_pdfs.php
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld »

Awesome! I am so pumped to hear that!

A big thank you to everyone involved. :mrgreen:

K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by K.G. Carlson »

JonL wrote:Over the weekend we decided to offer the Emerald City PDF for sale as individual products (due to comments made here) and Marc and Evan got it done super-fast!

The news is here:

http://greenronin.com/2013/11/emerald_city_pdfs.php
Very nice!
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden