Freelancer Interviews

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Freelancer Interviews

Postby JonL » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey all:

I'm planning to interview some of our regular freelancers and post them as Ronin Round Tables.

I'm coming here to ask you:

1) Does that sound interesting, and

2) Who would you like me to interview, and

3) What would you guys like me to ask the freelancers? And feel free to pose questions to specific freelancers.

I can't promise I'll use them all, but I'd love to get an idea of the sorts of things you're interested in.

Oh, and yes, Emerald City is coming soon.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Freelancer Interviews

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't know too much about specific freelancers to name one, but one question I'd like to hear asked is: What is their favorite product they've worked on, and why?

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:33 am

I'd absolutely be interested in reading freelancer interviews. Maybe you could ask them about their favourite moments playing the system, or what their first freelance assignment was.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:46 am

Well, mainly, I love Christopher McGlothlin's stuff, so I'd hope he'd be one of the guys you include in this. My question I suppose would be this- of the three fandoms he pulls for inspiration for his writing, which has he drawn on the most so far for 3rd Edition- pro wrestling, MST3K, or the Venture Bros.? :wink: :mrgreen:
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

rickjthree
Groupie
Groupie

Postby rickjthree » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 am

I'm always interested in where freelancers pull NPCs from. There's usually an interesting story behind them.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Any other questions? I'm going to be emailing some freelancers this week and get this short series of interview rolling!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
That's all I got.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:32 am

I'd be interested to hear what they consider to be their most challenging work. The ideas that they struggled to come up with and how they came to the finished work.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Elric » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Any character builds they particularly like the mechanics of, and why. E.g., building a character where it can be hard to see what abilities to use to achieve the effect sought, or making a character appropriately powerful given the concept.
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 pm

I want to know more about how this product differs from Freedom City and thus I'd want probing questions the person worked on in that regard.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Foreshadow wrote:I want to know more about how this product differs from Freedom City and thus I'd want probing questions the person worked on in that regard.

"This product" being what? And what sort of probing questions?

I assume you're talking about Emerald City, but these interviews aren't specifically about a single product, instead they're informational interviews with the freelancers.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
That's all I got.

CSABadass
Zealot
Zealot

Postby CSABadass » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Foreshadow wrote:I want to know more about how this product differs from Freedom City and thus I'd want probing questions the person worked on in that regard.

You can always ask us Emerald City Fathers anything you like here.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Let me clarify. Thus far I see EC ("this product") as being a game setting where it was decided to keep things open ended and a place where the initial supers creating event happens as the campaign starts. You could this in Freedom City with the campaign starting with the Terminus invasion, but considering the Silver Storm has a more morphgenic potential for fitting a character into the campaign, much like DCOnline's 'exobyte' idea can easily create a 'new' hero or villain.

I read that the city is full of competing forces, call them villains, or simply 'players' for the crown of the underworld. I assume then that much of the plot pacing and GM choices revolve around that. How is that set up. Do the book list different plot options and say to the GM 'choose among these choices' as examples, but they are only good suggestions, not some final list.

I assume that less of the book will have inside references, so no Claremont academy to refer to a school for the gifted since Claremont was the actual writer of X-men. I assume there was a conscious decisions not to include so much of that.

What then did freelancers work on? Steve wrote a bunch of it, is he a 'freelancer'? Were freelancers given smaller sections to work on?

What was the thing they like the most about their section and I assume it was designed by Steve or Jon and thus what did the freelancer like about what Steve or Jon designed for them to work around, and was there anything they wished Jon or Steve had done differently to make their own job as freelancer easier, or they thought would have been a better idea (the one they wanted to use for a specific element they wanted to introduce into the book)

Were specific elements like AEGIS worked on more? like an example of their agents, their headquarters, etc. How much detail was put into it, or how much is there to help the GM but keep it open for them to add details?

How do the use of the surrounding area of the city and that of freedom city differ. In Freedom City there is a state park nearby. I see various forested areas around Emerald City? In FC, it was left vague, will EC have more structure? I also liked areas in Freedom City like the Mesa and wish places like that had more detail to it. So will 'secret' or special places have more detail in the GM's? book. Can we see stuff like that in future small pdf emerald city based creations.

I enjoyed the pdf products for freedom city like the freedom city only archetypes, the iron age characters, and villains, and for Emerald City (or even the Supernatural book) some type of smaller pdf add on product would be cool. It would even be cool to have a mini-adventure in there.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Foreshadow wrote:Let me clarify. Thus far I see EC ("this product") as being a game setting where it was decided to keep things open ended and a place where the initial supers creating event happens as the campaign starts. You could this in Freedom City with the campaign starting with the Terminus invasion, but considering the Silver Storm has a more morphgenic potential for fitting a character into the campaign, much like DCOnline's 'exobyte' idea can easily create a 'new' hero or villain.

I read that the city is full of competing forces, call them villains, or simply 'players' for the crown of the underworld. I assume then that much of the plot pacing and GM choices revolve around that. How is that set up. Do the book list different plot options and say to the GM 'choose among these choices' as examples, but they are only good suggestions, not some final list.

I assume that less of the book will have inside references, so no Claremont academy to refer to a school for the gifted since Claremont was the actual writer of X-men. I assume there was a conscious decisions not to include so much of that.

What then did freelancers work on? Steve wrote a bunch of it, is he a 'freelancer'? Were freelancers given smaller sections to work on?

What was the thing they like the most about their section and I assume it was designed by Steve or Jon and thus what did the freelancer like about what Steve or Jon designed for them to work around, and was there anything they wished Jon or Steve had done differently to make their own job as freelancer easier, or they thought would have been a better idea (the one they wanted to use for a specific element they wanted to introduce into the book)

Were specific elements like AEGIS worked on more? like an example of their agents, their headquarters, etc. How much detail was put into it, or how much is there to help the GM but keep it open for them to add details?

How do the use of the surrounding area of the city and that of freedom city differ. In Freedom City there is a state park nearby. I see various forested areas around Emerald City? In FC, it was left vague, will EC have more structure? I also liked areas in Freedom City like the Mesa and wish places like that had more detail to it. So will 'secret' or special places have more detail in the GM's? book. Can we see stuff like that in future small pdf emerald city based creations.

I enjoyed the pdf products for freedom city like the freedom city only archetypes, the iron age characters, and villains, and for Emerald City (or even the Supernatural book) some type of smaller pdf add on product would be cool. It would even be cool to have a mini-adventure in there.

Foreshadow, it sounds like you're looking for an article specifically about the Emerald City books. Whereas what I'm working on right now are interviews with the freelancers about them.

As for an Emerald City article, I could do that (and maybe I will), but not right now because I'd like to give GMs the chance to start games without the players knowing all the secrets of the setting.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
That's all I got.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:20 pm

That makes sense. Focus on player book stuff then if you do anything, that way its all relatively 'safe' material. I would not want to spoil anyones campaign.

CSABadass
Zealot
Zealot

Postby CSABadass » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Foreshadow wrote:1) I assume that less of the book will have inside references, so no Claremont academy to refer to a school for the gifted since Claremont was the actual writer of X-men. I assume there was a conscious decisions not to include so much of that.

2) What then did freelancers work on? Steve wrote a bunch of it, is he a 'freelancer'? Were freelancers given smaller sections to work on?

3) Were specific elements like AEGIS worked on more? like an example of their agents, their headquarters, etc. How much detail was put into it, or how much is there to help the GM but keep it open for them to add details?

4) How do the use of the surrounding area of the city and that of freedom city differ. In Freedom City there is a state park nearby. I see various forested areas around Emerald City? In FC, it was left vague, will EC have more structure? I also liked areas in Freedom City like the Mesa and wish places like that had more detail to it. So will 'secret' or special places have more detail in the GM's? book. Can we see stuff like that in future small pdf emerald city based creations.

5) I enjoyed the pdf products for freedom city like the freedom city only archetypes, the iron age characters, and villains, and for Emerald City (or even the Supernatural book) some type of smaller pdf add on product would be cool. It would even be cool to have a mini-adventure in there.

1) There are a couple of comic-book references I've noticed, but certainly way less than FC. Not to say there aren't other type references; just fewer ones from funny books.

2) Steve Kenson is a GRP freelancer, but he is also Steve Freakin' Kenson. Darren Bulmer & myself were the other hired guns working on the bulk of the project. Splitting something this big three ways makes "smaller" a very relative term.

We worked from a general outline of locations and topics, and other than the Big "Do Not Reveal the Ending of Soylent Green!" Guiding Vision, we were free to develop the material as we saw fit. Of my third, only one section contains any editorial revision of what I originally submitted. Go me.:)

The history section was most fun, because that allowed me to develop The Victory Squadron and one of the setting's big reveals. Really, the whole book was great fun because Jon assigned me some topics that don't obviously play to my strengths. I appreciate his faith in me and the chance to stretch myself as a writer, like how I, the Token Straight Guy :) , got to write up Emerald's foremost gay nightclub.

Other than sending someone over to rub my shoulders while I wrote, there's nothing more Jon could've done to make this better or easier. He gave us a clear outline, a reasonable deadline, and the freedom to develop things as we saw best. This was absolutely one of the best working experiences I've had during my 16 years in the biz.

3) Lots of details on AEGIS; plenty of crunch.

4) There's a lot of mountains and forests around Emerald, and they are detailed in the book. Adventure seeds can be found there, too.

5) I'm working on a PDF detailing Emerald's WWII heroes The Victory Squadron right now.

Return to “General M&M”