Need help with 2e PDFs

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Need help with 2e PDFs

Post by drkrash »

I'm getting more and more into 3e and I'm thinking of picking up a lot of 2e stuff, since it seems like it can be used without too much effort (unlike 1e, which now looks like a foreign language).

The problem is that there are so many PDF template products and it seems some were reprinted. I think this is all of them:

Freedom City Archetypes and Legacies
Freedom City Atlas (1-5, I think)
Hero High Exchange Students/Villains/Yearbook
Instant Superheroes
Archetype Archive 1-3 and Archetype Archive Collection
Street-Level Archetypes 1-2
Villainous Archetypes 1-2

Are any of these repeated or updated in other products? Does the Archive Collection collect ALL of 1-3? I also read that Instant Superheroes is the same thing. Are the Villainous Archetypes the same as the ones contained in the 3e GM Guide (whatever it's called)?

Any of these that are just not useful for a 3e game?

Thanks for your help.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Need help with 2e PDFs

Post by saint_matthew »

Depends on what you mean by helpful.

If you are just looking for general archetypes, rather than campaign specific ones then just pick up Mutants & Masterminds Archetype Archive Collection http://greenroninstore.com/collections/ ... ection-pdf

Mutants & Masterminds Archetype Archive Collection appears to collect all the archetypes from Mutants & Masterminds Archetype Archive 1 thru 3.

It includes the following archetypes
•Agent: skilled and experienced enough to take on any mission.
•Amphibian: at home both above and below the sea.
•Android: a machine in human guise that combines the best qualities of both.
•Angel: divine purpose descended from the heavens.
•Animal Power: drawing powers from a totem.
•Archer: Robin Hood's spiritual (or perhaps real) descendant.
•Bulk: the unstoppable force and the immovable object combined into one.
•Cyborg: once fully human,now part machine.
•Dark Avenger: teaches criminals to fear the night.
•Demon: infernal power harnessed to benevolent purpose.
•Duplicator: a one-person army.
•Elastic Hero: gives a whole new meaning to 'throwing a punch'.
•Fortunate Hero: the personification of being both lucky and good.
•Illusionist: using the powers of magic to beguile.
•Jungle Lord: a hero of primitive lands.
•Living Flame: the human lighter.
•Living Weapon: tough and vicious close combat fighter.
•Mystic Warrior: a fierce combatant that draws power from a magical weapon.
•Plant Power: a living plant.
•Psychic: there are no secrets from this powerful mind.
•Revenant: seeking retribution from beyond the grave.
•Ring Bearer: incredible power, itty-bitty ring.
•Robot: a machine with the soul of a hero.
•Size Changer: proof that one size does not fit all.
•Solid Hero: built like a brick and tough as steel.
•Star Child: a waif able to command the powers of the universe.
•Super Soldier: the end result of the best training and equipment the government can supply.
•Teleporter: here and gone before you know it.
•Weather Controller: able to call upon the forces of nature in all their fury.
•Wealthy Thrillseeker: in it just for the kicks.

Instant Superhero on the other hand is a book collection of general archetypes out of the Heroes Handbook but expanded & added to. i'll be honest with you: None of them are really all that useful for anyone who understands how the game works already & has a sufficent collection of comics. They exist pretty much to be a short cut for people to lazy/bust to build a character & since the system has changed sufficently between 2E & 3E they aren't even any good as that.

My suggestion is that if you've been doing this for a while & you want to get more into 3E over 2E you'd be better off going to your local comic store, and digging around the dollar box for a diverse range of books, plonking them down in front of your players (assuming you have players) & saying "anything you see done in one of these comics you can build."

In fact if you are just looking for a product that quickly builds characters without effort for 3E, you'd be better off splurging & getting the Gamemaster screen/ Gamemaster Kit.

I hope that helps.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Monolith »

The 2e archetypes aren't all that useful in 3e because of the differences in the way powers are built. As was stated above, you're better off getting the gm's guide random generator or the deluxe 3e book that has the gm's guide archetype generator in it.

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Post by drkrash »

Thanks. Maybe I shouldn't bother.

FWIW, I wasn't interested in using them as examples for players or as a learning tool for myself. I was interested because a) I am lazy and thought this might be a good way to get more generic characters and b) new stuff for 3e isn't coming out very quickly and I wanted new material to read for the game.

But as I said above, maybe they're not worth it, even for those reasons.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld »

Out of that list, a few of the archetypes are available as converted 3E files on HeroLab, if you ever use that. At least, the free demo version that I have does.

Aside from that, I would only suggest getting Hero High Exchange Students & Yearbook because while the others deal with archetypes, those two have specific characters from the World of Freedom that can be converted fairly easily into 3E.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

drkrash wrote:FWIW, I wasn't interested in using them as examples for players or as a learning tool for myself. I was interested because a) I am lazy and thought this might be a good way to get more generic characters and b) new stuff for 3e isn't coming out very quickly and I wanted new material to read for the game.
Well from the "lazy" point of view i would say consider the Gamemaster Kit: It comes with a kick ass, low-rider, 3 panel GM screen & a black and white book with a random character generator in it.

As for stuff coming out slowly, it is (the curse of 3E unfortunately): But Emerald City source book should be out soon & after that the Cosmic Handbook.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Post by drkrash »

How about a different question then: since I have the Hero's Handbook, but not a random character generator, which is better: buying the Deluxe Hero's Handbook with the improved version of it or the old GM Kit?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Monolith »

drkrash wrote:How about a different question then: since I have the Hero's Handbook, but not a random character generator, which is better: buying the Deluxe Hero's Handbook with the improved version of it or the old GM Kit?
If you can find a physical copy of the kit I'd probably get that. It has a screen and other useful things. If your'e going to get the pdf of the kit I'd probably spring for the extra 10 bucks and get the deluxe edition. It has the generator, campaign info, and 2 adventures. I'm guessing it also has all the errata found too.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf »

Arthur Eld wrote:Out of that list, a few of the archetypes are available as converted 3E files on HeroLab, if you ever use that. At least, the free demo version that I have does.

Aside from that, I would only suggest getting Hero High Exchange Students & Yearbook because while the others deal with archetypes, those two have specific characters from the World of Freedom that can be converted fairly easily into 3E.
Similarly, the Freedom City archetypes books, while being more in line with the other archetypes books, can give you ideas on how to plug-in a character more tightly to the setting.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by K.G. Carlson »

A fair chunk of those 2e archetypes are 3e-ified as stock heroes in Hero Lab for M&M.
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden