Spam and Forum Registration Problems

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Spam and Forum Registration Problems

Postby Kit » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:29 am

You may see posts that you suspect may be SPAM or SPAMbot generated, like this:

PrinterXP wrote:I have eat, sorry.
<Mod snippage of about 30 links>

If you do see such a post, PLEASE do not reply to it. PLEASE contact myself or the other MODs and we will take action.

Thanks,

Kit
Mod Squad
working towards a SPAM-free ATT
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

SassyRonin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SassyRonin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:21 am

We have been under increasingly aggressive attack lately by spammers and their spambots. They use automated scripts designed to sign fake users up for forums like this one in order to get Google to find links to sites touting appendage enhancement products, online money-laundering operations disguised as age-old popular card games, and nasty stuff I can't think of vague enough ways to describe.

To fight the onslaught, we've implemented several safeguards to keep these creeps out of our playground. Unfortunately, this has the unintended side-affect that sometimes real, honest-to-gosh forum applicants get smacked down before they even get a chance to post, usually because they happen to choose a username that fits the formula spammers use.

Username formula to avoid if you want your account approved:
[clearly nonsense word] + [random-looking number]
Even better to avoid:
[clearly nonsense word including a sex or drug reference] + [random-looking number]
And "SmuttDogg6969" won't be approved, even if it's the name of your character or your AOL screen name. I mean, come on.

Very good username choices for quick account approval are comicbook superhero themed character names, serious or comical.

If the username you always use on forums happens to trigger some alarms and get deleted, and you find yourself waiting and waiting for access to the forums, please drop a line to webmaster <at> greenronin <dot> com and we'll see what we can do to get you registered.

Return to “General M&M”