Frequently Asked Rules Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
UnkindMirror
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Frequently Asked Rules Questions

Post by UnkindMirror » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:59 pm

betterwatchit wrote:When calculating the discount for the Removable flaw, do you round up or down? Say that you've cooked up a device that costs 17 PP, and the discount comes up as 3.4, how would you count it?
It's round down. You get the appropriate discount for every full five points.
So for a 17 point Removable power, final cost would be 14 points.

StalkThis
Henchman
Henchman

Post by StalkThis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 pm

DC Adventures question: I'm not seeing an "Unconscious" Condition. Has it been relegated to fluff, and described as Incapped and Unaware, or was there erratta, or what?

charlieluce
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by charlieluce » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 pm

StalkThis wrote:DC Adventures question: I'm not seeing an "Unconscious" Condition. Has it been relegated to fluff, and described as Incapped and Unaware, or was there erratta, or what?
It has basically been replaced by Incapacitated (which includes Unaware).

slaughterj
Luminary
Luminary

Post by slaughterj » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 am

drakma wrote:In the Grapple

While in a grapple you loose your dodge bonus against opponents you are not grappled. you can use powers while in a grapple but must make an opposed check to do so. using a power or ability that requires a standard action causes you to automaticly loose your grapple check that round.
This isn't the case in at least MnM 3e, where "A target can attempt to escape from a grab as a move action (see Escape)." The target would still have a standard action available to either try again to escape or use a power. Also, I see nothing in 3e HH under Grab on p. 196 that requires an opposed check to use powers while in a grapple.

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Twitch » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 am

Maybe a question which clarifies summoned creatures a bit more. Are they subject to the campaigns power level limits, or the PL set by how many points you spend on them? The level of the power?
Twitch's Playable 3e Builds

I...sometimes I wonder, what if the powers I have, that my brother has, how do we know that they are the gifts of God, and not the tricks of the Devil?

Tashiro
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Tashiro » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Can you use Morph + Attack Extra + Metamorph Extra to transform a person (with altered traits), rather than use the Affliction (Transformed)?

Elohim
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post by Elohim » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:39 pm

new to the site, hello.

Falling; in M&M, how fast does someone fall ? is it something like 10' the 1st round, 20' the 2nd, 30' the 3rd, until terminal velocity (Speed 6, normally) is reached ?
“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
- A. Einstein

charlieluce
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by charlieluce » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Elohim wrote:new to the site, hello.

Falling; in M&M, how fast does someone fall ? is it something like 10' the 1st round, 20' the 2nd, 30' the 3rd, until terminal velocity (Speed 6, normally) is reached ?
That's a very slow fall! A round is six seconds, and a human being starting to freefall will fall roughly 750 feet in the first six seconds, which is within Rank 5, and around 1000 feet more every six seconds after that.

Of course, that's not taking dramatic necessity into account. I normally don't have a character actually fall until the end of their turn, to allow for rescue attempts (both self and outside).

Tashiro
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Tashiro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Hmm. So in general, a person would take falling damage in most circumstances during their action, or at the end of the round. Good to know!

FlashbackJon
Groupie
Groupie

Post by FlashbackJon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:51 pm

A quick check re: Constructs...

Fortitude and Will share a trade-off. I assume that means Will is merely limited by PL for Constructs?
Zulu 3 Delta in Two-Fisted Tales [3E] (OOC)

beepeearr
Bystander
Bystander

Post by beepeearr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 pm

How exactly is the treatment skill supposed to work? How does it decrease the rank? Ie what is rank referring too, and wouldn't most damage be completely healed in the day it takes to use? I'm just wondering if I missed something.

beepeearr
Bystander
Bystander

Post by beepeearr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Oh and does the Tricking sub skill require an action use, or is it kind of like a reaction?

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Post by thaumonuclear » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:33 am

I was confused by Treatment too. The description for Revive states that it removes Dazed or Stunned conditions. But then it goes on starts talking about how removing Incapacitated leaves Exhausted or Staggered. So should that be Dazed, Stunned or Incapacitated that it removes?

Ophion
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Ophion » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:16 pm

I have a question (which may or may not have been asked and answered somewhere else already):

Why, in the 3e setting, do Normal-sized characters start out so incredibly slow?

According to my reading of the Heroes Handbook, a character without a movement effect of some kind can, with a successful Athletics roll, achieve a maximum ground speed of four miles an hour.

In real life, an eight year old grade schooler can run faster than that - twice as fast or faster, actually.

A healthy adult human being should, on average, be able to reach a speed of around 14 mph on the low end.

So what exactly is the reasoning for giving characters the baseline speed of eighteen month old toddler? Have I just missed something in the rules, perhaps, and characters can go as fast as an adult human being is supposed to be able to go, or am I reading the rules correctly but not seeing the logic that helps this make sense?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Black Mamba » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Ophion wrote:I have a question (which may or may not have been asked and answered somewhere else already):

Why, in the 3e setting, do Normal-sized characters start out so incredibly slow?

According to my reading of the Heroes Handbook, a character without a movement effect of some kind can, with a successful Athletics roll, achieve a maximum ground speed of four miles an hour.

In real life, an eight year old grade schooler can run faster than that - twice as fast or faster, actually.

A healthy adult human being should, on average, be able to reach a speed of around 14 mph on the low end.

So what exactly is the reasoning for giving characters the baseline speed of eighteen month old toddler? Have I just missed something in the rules, perhaps, and characters can go as fast as an adult human being is supposed to be able to go, or am I reading the rules correctly but not seeing the logic that helps this make sense?
The MPH system is not there to try and represent any real-world accuracy. The simple truth is that if you run the numbers rather then use the chart - and even the chart states it is not numbers accurate but rather it is just there for convenience - the character with the base 30' movement and run 3.4 MPH, double-move for 6.8 MPH, and using Athletics potentially increase that to 13.6 MPH.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville