Frequently Asked Rules Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
groqx
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Frequently Asked Rules Questions

Postby groqx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Ref: 3e, Create (volume and range)

I always assumed that the volume restriction limited the total amount of material that can be created, not just the amount of volume that can be created each time the power is used.

Assuming the character has the Continuous extra and no longer has to maintain his creations, the character can create an unlimited number of objects with each individual object limited by the PL volume restriction? Is this correct?

And once created, is the distance of that object from the character irrelevant?

HenshinFanatic
Groupie
Groupie

Postby HenshinFanatic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm new and doing up a character just to try and learn the ropes, but I'm not sure if some of the powers I've done up work the way I think they do as well as not understanding how the permanent extra/flaw is supposed to work as far as costs go, and ability-based damage.

The powers I'm uncertain if I've got set-up to work like I think they should are:

Haste: Standard action Activation Affects Others Speed 3. The effect I'm going for is that you're casting a spell requiring a standard action that roughly octuples the speed of its recipient, either yourself or someone you touch. Also how would such a power work with someone who's already a speedster?

Stop: Ranged Affliction (paralyzed and unaware) 14 resisted by will and limited to 3rd degree only. The idea being that it freezes the target in time. Is this a good way of modelling that kind of power?

Is it generally accepted that damage effects can be based on an ability other than strength? Intellect for example.

Finally how exactly does permanent affect costs as some sections of the HH list it as +0 cost/rank while its entry under flaws lists it as -1 cost/rank. Which is correct? Or at least commonly accepted as correct.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:56 pm

HenshinFanatic wrote:I'm new and doing up a character just to try and learn the ropes, but I'm not sure if some of the powers I've done up work the way I think they do as well as not understanding how the permanent extra/flaw is supposed to work as far as costs go, and ability-based damage.

First off, welcome to the boards!

Second, these are actually some pretty good detailed questions, so don't be afraid of posting in the main thread.

I'll take a crack at these:

Haste: Standard action Activation Affects Others Speed 3. The effect I'm going for is that you're casting a spell requiring a standard action that roughly octuples the speed of its recipient, either yourself or someone you touch. Also how would such a power work with someone who's already a speedster?

This would indeed give about 8x speed to any user, including speedsters since ranks are considered to stack and Speed is not generally limited by PL, although a GM may choose to limit based on things like Slam Attack damage. Also, it's unclear whether Affects Others requires maintained contact for the power to keep working, but it's generally considered to work only in contact unless you buy Ranged for the effect as well. Moving out of range of the caster could also be a consideration.

Stop: Ranged Affliction (paralyzed and unaware) 14 resisted by will and limited to 3rd degree only. The idea being that it freezes the target in time. Is this a good way of modelling that kind of power?

Yes, I think this is actually an excellent way to represent time freezing if you don't want any mid-point time-slowing effects as well. It is powerful, but difficult to stick, since even a target with Will 0 would resist it 35% of the time, Will 10 would fail only 15% of the time, and Will 13 would be effectively immune. That, of course is after the attack hits, and unless you're playing a particularly high PL game, the attack bonus for this effect would be below PL.

Is it generally accepted that damage effects can be based on an ability other than strength? Intellect for example.

No, not generally accepted. That's actually being discussed in this thread.

Finally how exactly does permanent affect costs as some sections of the HH list it as +0 cost/rank while its entry under flaws lists it as -1 cost/rank. Which is correct? Or at least commonly accepted as correct.

Keep in mind that Permanent is only a -1 Flaw when applied to a Continuous effect, and many effects are Sustained, so to apply Permanent to a Sustained effect like Growth, you would Increase Duration and then add Permanent, for a net effect of +0.

Hope that helps!
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

HenshinFanatic
Groupie
Groupie

Postby HenshinFanatic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks for the help. You really cleared things up for me, and I'm glad to be a member.

groqx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby groqx » Sat May 12, 2012 6:47 pm

I still did not get my question addressed, but now I have two of them:

1) Ref: 3e, Create (volume and range)

I always assumed that the volume restriction limited the total amount of material that can be created, not just the amount of volume that can be created each time the power is used.

Assuming the character has the Continuous extra and no longer has to maintain his creations, the character can create an unlimited number of objects with each individual object limited by the PL volume restriction? Is this correct?

And once created, is the distance of that object from the character irrelevant?

2) Natural Roll 1 always misses. But then the Luck advantage comes into play, and Hero Points. Do they supersede the Natural Roll of 1, critical failure rule? So a PC rolls a 1, uses Luck to re-roll, gets another natural 1 is that an automatic failure? Assuming that it is, he then uses a Hero Point to re-roll again and gets another natural 1. Ok, so the fates have doomed him regarding dice, but are they automatic failures?

The flaw "Unreliable" states that the use of a Hero Point provides automatic success because the roll will at least be 11.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon May 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Not sure on Create myself, but I'll weigh in on the Nat 1's.

groqx wrote:2) Natural Roll 1 always misses. But then the Luck advantage comes into play, and Hero Points. Do they supersede the Natural Roll of 1, critical failure rule? So a PC rolls a 1, uses Luck to re-roll, gets another natural 1 is that an automatic failure? Assuming that it is, he then uses a Hero Point to re-roll again and gets another natural 1. Ok, so the fates have doomed him regarding dice, but are they automatic failures?

The flaw "Unreliable" states that the use of a Hero Point provides automatic success because the roll will at least be 11.

Considering Luck (and Hero Points) are specifically designed to make your rolls better and are generally very limited in supply, I think it would be fair to allow them to negate the automatic failure of rolling 1 twice in a row (a 1 in 400 chance event). Rerolling that 1 would therefore make the roll worth 11 in every respect and not an auto-fail.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Royas
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Royas » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:41 am

Hi everyone, I just recently bought MM 3rd edition. Excellent book, I'm looking forward to playing a game with friends, I do have a few worries however and maybe someone could help me out.

I thought I understood most of the rules after my first read through, but when I fell upon p.190-192 (the mock combat) I realized I was completely lost.
Not much makes sense and I was wondering if that part of the book had many mistakes (other than that the entire book is very well written).

Or it's just plain old me.

Here are some of my issues with that mock combat : too many DC aren't explained :
-Rook throws his flash grenade (he doesn't have to roll a die since it's an "area" effect, ok) and the thugs have a chance to "dodge" but shouldn't they already have a -2 because of Princess's intimidation ?
-even after two of them successfully dodge they still have to make a resistance check ?

-then Ultramarine shoots at his target, ok no problem.
-but the target gets a dodge die roll ?? I thought to make a successfull attack all you had to do was :
Attack = d20 + attack bonus V.S. défense class
Defense class = proper defense (dodge or parry, depending on the kind of attack) + 10
-so if you roll a successful attack against the defense DC, why is there a dice roll for the defense ?

then

-the secret GM machine attacks princess and she is "vulnerable", it says in the rules that vulnerable = défense halved by 2.
in the example she has 18 dodge defense, halved by two that's 9. Why does she have to make a DC of 14 ?
-then in the next line it's written : "GM: Compares it against the DC of 19. Two degrees of failure."
I'm totally lost... :cry:

anyhow, the mock combat is a complete mess (at least it is to me) if someone could explain it to me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

groqx
Bystander
Bystander

Postby groqx » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 am

I am not exactly an expert, but I might be able to shed some light on the confusion:

-Rook throws his flash grenade (he doesn't have to roll a die since it's an "area" effect, ok) and the thugs have a chance to "dodge" but shouldn't they already have a -2 because of Princess's intimidation ?

Here is what the rules say about this:

"This extra allows an effect that normally works on a single target to affect an area. No attack check is needed; the effect simply fills the designated area, based on the type of modifier. Potential targets in the area are permitted a Dodge resistance check (DC 10 + effect rank) to avoid some of the effect...."

This explains the Dodge roll by the Smugglers. Their DC is 13 and the -2 from the intimidation check did not affect the results at all, which were: 20, 3, 8, and 19. Degrees of success are not considered relevant in this situation.

-even after two of them successfully dodge they still have to make a resistance check ?

Yes, the Area attack. any area attack, provides the defender with a Dodge Resistance Check first. See page 138 of the rules concerning Area attacks. Consider this Dodge Resistance check made in lieu of the Attack Roll vs. Active Defense.

The Flash Grenade is an affliction attack that requires a Fortitude Resistance check. All defenders then must then try to resist the effects of the flash.

Again, see page 138-139 for Area attack. It ends with: "A successful resistance check reduces the Area effect to half its normal rank against that target (round down, minimum of 1 rank)."

The rank of the attack was 3 as was shown by the DC 13 for the Dodge Resistance Checks. For those who succeeded in those checks, the Rank of the Attack for the Fortitude Resistance Check was reduced by half rounded down. That Rank was 1. Therefore the two that succeeded the dodge rolls faced a DC 11 while the two that failed faced Fortitude Checks of 13.

But here is where my understanding of the mock combat degrades, slightly. All of them should have -2 on their checks because of being intimidated...on all their checks since Intimidation is not specific as to which checks are affected. Therefore, with the highest roll being a 12, all of them should have failed the Fortitude checks, not just one of them. The only explanation I can find is that the person who wrote it is not looking at Dice rolls but the results of the check, which include the -2 already.

-then Ultramarine shoots at his target, ok no problem.
-but the target gets a dodge die roll ?? I thought to make a successfull attack all you had to do was :
Attack = d20 + attack bonus V.S. défense class
Defense class = proper defense (dodge or parry, depending on the kind of attack) + 10
-so if you roll a successful attack against the defense DC, why is there a dice roll for the defense ?

Ultramarine is using a Netline. The general description of the attack indicates it is a Snare attack. He does have to roll a hit against the active defense of the target (Dodge Defense in this case since it is a ranged attack) but the Snare attack is also resisted by Dodge, which seems confusing at first. But If it were a damaging attack it would be the Toughness resistance check rather than Dodge resistance check, that's all.

then

-the secret GM machine attacks princess and she is "vulnerable", it says in the rules that vulnerable = défense halved by 2.
in the example she has 18 dodge defense, halved by two that's 9. Why does she have to make a DC of 14 ?
-then in the next line it's written : "GM: Compares it against the DC of 19. Two degrees of failure."
I'm totally lost...

The information on page 192 in the mock battle reads:

"The GM rolls an attack check against Princess, getting a 15 result. Normally this would miss her Dodge defense of 18, but this is a surprise attack, so Princess is vulnerable and her Dodge is halved to 4, rather than 8, making the DC a 14."

Her active defense is 10+her dodge score. In this case she has an 18 Active Dodge Defense (Her dodge of 8 +10). But her Dodge Defense is reduced by half, from 8 to 4 because she is vulnerable. Therefore her active Dodge defense is now 14 rather than 18. Being vulnerable only affects the Dodge score of the character, not the total Active Defense.

The princess's active Defense was reduced to 14 and the GM rolled a 15, so the attack was successful. Now, just like the smugglers in the earlier example, the Princess has a Dodge Resistance Check and gets a 13. She rolled a 5 + 8, her dodge score. Note that only her Defenses were reduced by half for the surprise attack, not her resistance checks.

Remember: For an attack, If you equal or exceed your target’s defense class result, your attack hits. Otherwise, you miss. For a resistance check, if you equal or exceed the DC of the effect, you resist the effect, otherwise you do not.

The DC was 19. If she rolled a 19 or better she would have resisted the effect of the net. If she rolled a 14-18 she would have had one degree of failure (5 point spread). If she rolled a 9-13 she suffers two degrees of failure (another 5 point spread). She has +8 so even if she rolled a 1 she would have a 9. Two degrees of failure was the worst she could get under the circumstances.

does any of this make sense now?

m3nt0r
Bystander
Bystander

Postby m3nt0r » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 am

Hello everyone!

One question(3rd edition), does the Healing effect remove also the -1 toughness check penalty of a damage condition? lets say you only failed for 1 degree and you only have that penalty, does a successful healing remove it?

Thank you!

SeeleyOne
Henchman
Henchman

Postby SeeleyOne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:45 am

m3nt0r wrote:Hello everyone!

One question(3rd edition), does the Healing effect remove also the -1 toughness check penalty of a damage condition? lets say you only failed for 1 degree and you only have that penalty, does a successful healing remove it?

Thank you!

Yes. But if it is worse it would remove that before it would remove the -1 condition. So if a person had Dazed or Staggered it would have to remove that first.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

Lightning Lord
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lightning Lord » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 pm

So basically this game has a health level system sort of like White Wolf's Storyteller system, where the modifiers pile up until you're knocked out? Or do you get bruised if you fail your save a certain amount, and just keep getting bruised if you fail the same amount? Do you progress from bruised to the next level if you fail the same amount or just get more bruised, in other words.

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:14 am

It's more like a combination of both: Every failed Damage Save gives you a penalty to further Damage Saves (thereby making you more vulnerable to further damage), and single saves that failed by certain margins add further complications, like being dazed or outright knocked out.

I like to imagine those save penalties as "damage points" being added to a pool without clear upper ceiling. Is a lot less convulted than "circumstance penalty to further damage resistance rolls".

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 am

1E and 2E called them Bruises or Injuries depending on lethal or non-lethal damage. Bruises would probably work fine for the 3E assumption that lethal damage is a Complication. ^_^ Someone suggested "Ouchies" way back when to lampoon the more unwieldy name.

Lightning Lord
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lightning Lord » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Ok, how do Arrays work?

I'm guessing you specify a particular amount of points and then break it down individually?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Lightning Lord wrote:Ok, how do Arrays work?

I'm guessing you specify a particular amount of points and then break it down individually?

Within 3E, there is no such thing as a Capital-A Array. Rather, you pay full price for a power, then you can spend 1 pp each for Alternate Effect powers that you can use instead of that base power. For exampled:
Blast 10 [20 pp]
AE: Strike 10 (Penetrating) [has 20 pp of powers in it, but only costs 1 pp]
AE: Flight 10 [has 20 pp of powers in it, but only costs 1 pp]

Total is 20+1+1 pp. Only one power can be active at a time and you can only switch once on your turn (although you can choose to do so at any time during your turn).

There are also Dynamic AEs. They cost an additional 1 pp for each one (1 pp to make the base power dynamic, 2 pp for each additional DAE). One or more powers in the array can be made Dynamic. The effect is that you can spread the points in the array over your Dynamic AEs (if not all slots are dynamic, the non-dynamic ones are again exclusive). So, for example:
Blast 10 (Dynamic) [20+1 pp]
DAE: Flight 10 [2 pp]
DAE: Leaping 5 [2 pp]
AE: Insubstantial 4 [1 pp]

Total of 26 pp for the above.

Once in your turn, you could choose to reallocate the points. For example, you could just have Blast 10, or just Flight 10. Or, you could choose to have Leaping 6, Flight 3, and Blast 4 active. Or, you could turn on Insubstantial to the exclusion of the others. Note that it would do you no good to have Insubstantial as a DAE since it can only take 20 pp at a time and that's all you have.

2E Ultimate Power introduced an Array structure which many people on the boards still use for 3E where you buy the points, and then get one free base power, with additional APs and DAPs as usual. The main advantage to this, other than that it's very tidy, is that it's easy to "overcharge" the array. For example:
Force Array 13 [26 pp for 26 pp of powers in the array]
DBP: Blast 10 (Dynamic) [1 pp]
DAP: Flight 10 [2 pp]
DAP: Leaping 5 [2 pp]

That's 26+1+2+2 = 31 pp for a "pool" of 26 pp to allocate.

You could choose to have Flight 3 and Blast 10 active at the same time for your 26 pp. You can do the same thing in 3E with their AE structure, but you need an "unbounded" power for the base power that can have a high enough value without exceeding PL. Frankly, I think it's uglier, but it was one of the choices they made in 3E.

Return to “General M&M”