Frequently Asked Rules Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Zaran
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Frequently Asked Rules Questions

Postby Zaran » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:47 pm

pawsplay wrote:How do you calculate the initiative score for a construct with no Agility?

There is a new feat in one of the Emerald Knights Chapters that lets one use Intelligence instead of Agility for determining Initiative. I think it's called "Speed of Thought"

IKerensky
Bystander
Bystander

Postby IKerensky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:04 am

Err... is there a compiled FAQ file somewhere or did they abandon the project a few years after creating this thread ?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:48 am

IKerensky wrote:Err... is there a compiled FAQ file somewhere or did they abandon the project a few years after creating this thread ?

Due to change in the industry, as I understand it, Green Ronin just can't put the resources into having someone answering questions as they did in 2E. And, honestly, they may have also learned from that that having one person posting their answers can result in contradictions both with the material of the books and with yourself. And that was when they had Steve Kenson basically working full time answering questions. Now, where a number of their regular employees are part time due to the RPG industry not being as strong as it is, it's that much harder to establish official answers.

That said, I know there are a number of answers, primarily by JonL, that are buried throughout the boards. Kind of a shame that we don't have an Elric to gather these official answers...

Phicksur
Compatriot
Compatriot
Location: Sol System, Earth, United States, Florida, Tallahassee Region

Postby Phicksur » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:18 pm

pawsplay wrote:How do you calculate the initiative score for a construct with no Agility?

What fuzzyboots said: -5 penalty. Any opposed initiative checks they may need to make automatically fail.

The only kinds of constructs that might have this are stationary constructs, or those which are carried around. As a result, the -5 seems most appropriate.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:28 am

How do you fail an initiative check? I don't think that's a real thing that can happen.

New question: if you have a power of Permanent duration that Affects Others, does that mean you can simply freely bestow it without limitation?
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:19 pm

I guess this just means that the characters having this power bestowed on them can't turn it off by themselves. The bestower is forcing it on them.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 am

It also means an entire world of people with, say, Protection 5.
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:16 pm

As noted in the other topic on Affects Others, the 3E version uses the 2E text except for omitting a second paragraph describing the power feat that lets you bestow it on more than one person at a time. There is a decent chance that this was an oversight when they were trying to change the vocabulary to talk about "Flat Extras" rather than "Power Feats".

KnightErrantJR
Comrade
Comrade

Postby KnightErrantJR » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:40 pm

This is horrible to ask after I've been running 3rd for almost a year now, but I could have sworn there was an "automatic fail on a 1" rule for resistance checks and an "automatic success" on a 20 rule for resistance checks, but the only reference I can find for 1 and 20 has to do with attack checks.

Am I wrong in this? Are there resistance checks you can't ever hope to make and can some people be effectively immune to some effects because of their bonuses?
"How is it they live in such harmony the billions of stars - when most men can barely go a minute without declaring war in their minds about someone they know. "--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 pm

The confusion may arise from that 2E had a different result for a natural 20 on a Toughness save, that the worst you could get with such a roll was a Bruised or Injured even if a 20 would normally leave you worse off than that.

KnightErrantJR
Comrade
Comrade

Postby KnightErrantJR » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:55 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:The confusion may arise from that 2E had a different result for a natural 20 on a Toughness save, that the worst you could get with such a roll was a Bruised or Injured even if a 20 would normally leave you worse off than that.

So you are saying that once again in my gaming life I am a victim of getting previous edition rules lodged in my brain . . . :wink:

Certainly not the first time.
"How is it they live in such harmony the billions of stars - when most men can barely go a minute without declaring war in their minds about someone they know. "--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Under Communication, a special flaw is listed for Communication-Based Perception powers. Is the Communication "carrier" instead of, or in addition to, the normal Perception Range requirements?

palelizard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby palelizard » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Does Immunity: Life Support include no longer needing food/water and/or sleep?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:42 pm

palelizard wrote:Does Immunity: Life Support include no longer needing food/water and/or sleep?

Full Life Support includes food/water but not sleep. This is more apparent in the DCA Heroes & Villains books, since the Legion Rings specifically use "Life Support, except for starvation and thirst" for 9p.

I imagine this may come up more often for builds that use LS but are still living creatures, like Battlesuits and Paragons, as a way to save points.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Iron Butterfly
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Iron Butterfly » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:24 pm

This is probably incredibly ignorant and I'm missing a caveman-simple detail somewhere, but returning to the forums here after a few years of non-involvement and searching as I might I can't find a thread exactly addressing what I'd like to know. If by some chance it hasn't been talked about, please feel free to either answer, or direct me to any thread which has. Are there any plans to publish official conversion of more 2nd edition books? Freedom's Most Wanted, Silver and Iron Age, and of course Freedom City, specifically (my group makes extensive use of them)? Not all THAT choked up with 3rd edition for a couple reasons, but I'd feel more motivated to give it at least a shot if I didn't need to convert all the NPCs so involved in our campaign AS WELL as our own characters. Just wondering...I'm all ears.
"Speed and power are fine, but accuracy's final." - Wyatt Earp
"If you do not destroy your enemy, you do not deserve to stand in front of him." - Miyamoto Musashi

Return to “General M&M”