Frequently Asked Rules Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Lightning Lord
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Frequently Asked Rules Questions

Postby Lightning Lord » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Ok, forgive me if anyone feels I'm using this thread as a dumb newbie questions dumping ground, but can someone walk me through combat? I just ran a session and I'm not sure I did it right. I just rolled a d20 and applied any relevant modifier vs an enemy's Defense bonus - for example I used Legend's Monks as ninjas, and I combined a d20 roll and their 6 to Dodge or Parry. There was a Mystic who used his Magic Blast power (reskinned as Magic Missile) and I added his 5 Ranged Attack skill to his attack. One was a Martial Artist, and I added her FGT to the d20.

Also, how does Damage work?

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 am

Let's see if I can help. Focusing on Damage and Ranged Damage effects (aka Strike and Blast) to avoid the slightly more complex cases.

First you need to Roll Initiative for everyone. That's d20 + initiative modifier. The modifier is usually Agility but Advantages like Improved Initiative can change that. Highest initiative result goes first, then next highest, etc...

To attack, you first need to be in range. A Blast (Ranged Damage) usually goes far enough that you don't have to worry about it. See p.192 for details on range. A Strike (close range Damage) needs the character to be next to the target. Use a Move Action first to move the character. You can use base Ground Speed (30ft/round) or a Speed power (rank speed /round) or Flight or other valid movement powers.

Once in range, you make an attack roll: d20 + attack bonus.
The attack bonus depends on whether you're making a close range attack (Strike) or a ranged attack (Blast). Close range means you use your Fighting as a bonus. Ranged means you use Dexterity. On top of that, you may add your ranks in the Close Attack or Ranged Attack advantages if you have them. And yet on top of that, add ranks in a specific Close Combat or Ranged Combat skill appropriate for your current weapon if you have one.

Making a close attack, have Fighting 5 : d20+5
Making a close attack, have Fighting 5, Close Attack 2 : d20+5+2
Making a close attack, have Fighting 5, Close Attack 2, Close Combat - Unarmed 4 : d20+5+2+4

Then you compare the total result to the opponent's Dodge+10 or Parry+10 (for a ranged attack and a close attack, respectively). If your attack roll total is equal or above their defense number, you hit them! Otherwise you miss.

If you hit them, the opponent now has to roll a Toughness resistance check against your damage. That's d20+Toughness. They need to beat (equal or greater than) your Damage rank + 15. If using an unarmed attack, Damage rank is simply Strength.

Quick example:

The Wisp is fighting some goon and has a beam attack (Blast, aka Ranged Damage) at rank 8. She also has Dexterity 2 and Ranged Combat (Beam) 10.
The goon has Dodge 4 and Toughness 3.

The Wisp attacks: d20 + Dex + Ranged Combat (Beam) = d20 + 2 + 10 = 9 + 2 + 10 = 21.
The goon's defense DC is Dodge + 10 = 4 + 10 = 14.
The Wisp hits the goon with her beam (21 >= 14)

Now the goon must resist the damage: d20 + Toughness = 14 + 3 = 17
The beam's damage DC is Power Rank + 15 = 8 + 15 = 22
The goon does not resist the damage (17 < 22). That's one degree of failure for him.

To know how much damage this did, you count the difference between the actual resistance roll total and the target DC: 22 - 17 = 5.
For every 5, you count an additional "degree of failure". So here we end up with 2 degrees of failure. Then you check p.104 for the Damage Resistance Check table. It tells you the consequences of such a failure.

I made a thread with detailed mechanics and rolls some time ago, it might help get answers on a few aspects of combat:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46925
Search for "roll initiative" or "round 1" for the beginning of the fight.
Disclaimer: I'm also quite new to M&M, so I might have made mistakes here and there (though no one has pointed out anything, so maybe it's fine).

Then there's a Fistful of Nazis which has a LOT of mini combat playtests. Not all of them have detailed mechanics, but they can give you an idea of what's possible to do during a fight:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37337

Adalias
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Adalias » Wed May 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Can you use a skill if you don't have the ability that it's based on? Specifically, one of my players wants to have a robot minion with Assessment (based on Insight, which requires Awareness). Will he have to buy Awareness for the robot to use it, or is it a -5 penalty that can be countered with lots of skill points in insight?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed May 29, 2013 1:41 pm

First off, if the Ability is Absent, then no, it can't use a skill based on that Ability. Check the Absent Abilities section on p57 of the M&M Handbook or p49 of the DCA Handbook.

Second, Constructs like Robots usually have Awareness. If it didn't, it wouldn't have Perception either, so it couldn't sense or meaningfully interact with the world, which would be a sucky robot and probably not a fun character. I assume you mean the robot has no INT or PRE, which is more common for robots. A pre-programmed (Absent INT) robot with Assessment can still have a base +0 Insight to go with a 0 AWE. You could buy up Insight, if you like, but it might make more sense to create an appropriate Expertise* skill (say Tactics or Combat Analysis or something) and use that for the Assessment rolls.

*Expertise usually uses INT, but can easily use a different (non-Absent) Ability as its base.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Adalias
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Adalias » Wed May 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Ahh I was thinking of being absent Intelligence, you're quite correct, but I got my answer, so thanks!

Nekros22
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Fighting with Two Weapons

Postby Nekros22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 pm

Curious about an upcoming game in which one player has created a gunslinger.

I realize the easy solution would be for him to create a general Damage power and fluff the guns, but I wanted to know if fighting with two guns/swords can be replicated via generic equipment. I also saw the build for Killshot in the Emerald City books had a power for wielding two-guns. I'm just not sure how to deal with it mechanically.

Thanks in advance.

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:07 pm

The DC "bestiaries" and the Supernatural handbook also has a "You can make two attacks if you dual wield guns, but only if the guns aren't too strong" Feature.

Though I'd rather just buy the two guns like a single piece of equipment with either Multiattack or Split. That seems more streamlined.

Nekros22
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Nekros22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Doresh wrote:The DC "bestiaries" and the Supernatural handbook also has a "You can make two attacks if you dual wield guns, but only if the guns aren't too strong" Feature.

Though I'd rather just buy the two guns like a single piece of equipment with either Multiattack or Split. That seems more streamlined.

That seems like the best option. Thank you!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Optionally, a 1 pp Feature can make it so that you only lose half of your power when disarmed. So if you have Blast 8 (Split Attack, Feature: Requires two disarms to be fully disarmed), then you could call it two guns. If someone lands a Disarm on you, you can still use the Blast 4 until they disarm you again.

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Black Mamba wrote:
pawsplay wrote:Why are Devices so delicate? With a Toughness equal to point/5, even things like swords and shields have a Toughness of 1 ("glass").

As with many things in M&M Device Toughness requires GM intervention for it to make sense. The basic system was put in place due to the expansive nature of Devices in M&M: they can cover everything from the 4 pt Device in your example to 105 pt example Battlesuit Archetype, to even more expensive Devices for characters playing at higher limits. If you simply follow a linear cost-progression system you are going to get strange results at both ends.

Ultimately the Player and GM should just look at the item and assign a Toughness value that is reasonable: a sword is generally steel so should be around a 9 Toughness even though it is only 4 pts. Likewise the Battlesuit might only have a 15 Toughness (titanium) rather then the 21 the mechanic would call for. And even then we have to remember that Indestructible is only a 1 point Feature on a Device to make it immune to harm.

In 2E equipment hand a toughness of points/5 and devices had a toughness of (points/5) + 10. For some reason this did not seem to carry over into 3E, personally I still use it. Generally I think 3E did a lot of things right, but I go back to 2E for certain things in my group. Remember that you always have the option to house rule something.

I real world example of the device toughness thing would be some of the swords that I own. Some of the ones that are mostly for decoration or practice (blunted of course) are what generally gets called "show steel" It is real metal (often stainless) but I can still permanently bend the really cheap ones (equipment, hell low quality equipment in game terms) by hand, the practice ones (equipment, but better quality) I can bend permanently if I put the end against the ground and put any significant amount of body weight in the middle of the blade, but bending by hand is not that easy. The two actual hand forged swords I own (devices in game terms) are much heavier just to pick up, and forget bending the blade by hand or even under a good amount of leverage. Even if you start to bend it, it is not very likely to bend permanently instead of bouncing back.

Also remember that objects ignore the dazed and staggered conditions of damage (unless you are talking about constructs), so all you can really do to an object is weaken it, punch a hole in it or completely break it.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:56 pm

digitalangel wrote:Also remember that objects ignore the dazed and staggered conditions of damage (unless you are talking about constructs), so all you can really do to an object is weaken it, punch a hole in it or completely break it.

Not entirely. The rules also allow for the Failure by 5 to reduce one of the Device's powers by 1 instead of imposing the penalty, which allows one to do things such as try to blow off the communications antenna on an armored suit or blunt the sword.

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:
digitalangel wrote:Also remember that objects ignore the dazed and staggered conditions of damage (unless you are talking about constructs), so all you can really do to an object is weaken it, punch a hole in it or completely break it.

Not entirely. The rules also allow for the Failure by 5 to reduce one of the Device's powers by 1 instead of imposing the penalty, which allows one to do things such as try to blow off the communications antenna on an armored suit or blunt the sword.

True, just going by the 3E book it directly said that items don't do dazed or staggered, but yes you can still damage one part of a system.

Also, was looking at something else amd notcied this a tthe bottom of page 164 in 3E handbook talking about strenght based damage on melee weapons but also relevant here:

"If a wielder exerts Strength greater than the weapon’s Toughness (4 for wooden weapons, 7 or 8 for metal weapons), the weapon breaks when it is used."

Especially for low cost equipment/devices, most basic melee weapons for example, you can always say that it either has points/5 or toughness of it's material which ever is higher. Would sound like a fair call most of the time to me.

DeathStroke
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DeathStroke » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 am

Can you use multiple Advantages at the same time? Such as Defensive Attack and Power Attack? Power Attack and Defensive Roll? Thanks for any help.
"Who do you want me to kill? "

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 pm

DeathStroke wrote:Can you use multiple Advantages at the same time? Such as Defensive Attack and Power Attack? Power Attack and Defensive Roll? Thanks for any help.

By the book, there's no issue so long as they don't require the same action. All of the examples you have above don't require an action, rather modifying other actions in the round, so they can be done at the same time (note, though, that some of these, such as Defensive Attack, require a particular action such as attacking to be valid). In comparison, Throwing Mastery and Daze both require a Standard action, so couldn't be done at the same time unless you used Extra Effort to gain another action. Advantages in general are more about "who you are" than "what you are doing". It's just that some of them grant you an ability that includes a particular action to use it.

Of course, this sometimes comes down to GM choice. A number of people on the board are leery of combining combat maneuvers such as All Out Attack and Power Attack for example, feeling that trading off damage for defense is going too far.

LordHavelock
Bystander
Bystander

Postby LordHavelock » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Is it strictly taboo to try and mix Dynamic Alternate Effects and the Removable Flaw? As a GM I'm trying to build a villain who uses a Dynamic Array of three separate Devices, and I can't help but look at it and think that if one of my players came to me with this I would have to seriously consider vetoing it.

Granted, I'm not trying to break the game or anything, I only suspect I'm trying to do too much with this one character, and I really don't want to resort to Variable because then I just wind up building all the powers from scratch anyway (plus it just doesn't convey the feel I'm looking for).

Basically, the character has three 'Artifacts of Power' all of which have a specific effect centered around a particular theme: One of them allows him to manifest and manipulate constructs of his will (Create & Move Object); the second makes him divinely majestic and magnanimous (Enhanced Presence and Interaction Skills/related Advantages); and the final allows him to enforce his will directly upon others (Mind Control/Affliction). My question is whether there's anything wrong with making these three items dynamic alternate effects of one another?

Return to “General M&M”