Frequently Asked Rules Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Frequently Asked Rules Questions

Postby Kit » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:15 pm

We're putting together frequently asked rules questions/answers. If you have suggestions for questions you have seen asked a lot, please post them here.
we wont be discussing rules here, mind you-just listing the questions/answers we've seen a lot and sometime AFTER we have recovered from GenCon, we'll compile this info in some fashion.

Thanks.

Kit
Mod Squad
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Elric » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:05 pm

A few off the top of my head. The page numbers are from memory- not necessarily correct :)

Explaining how the tradeoff rules work and how they apply to the archetypes in the book. (pg 24)

Where to find the Impervious power (pg 96, an extra on Protection)

Fractional power point costs for powers (pg 112)
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

BlackDragon1200
Zealot
Zealot
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australasia, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky Way...

Postby BlackDragon1200 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:48 pm

How Telekinesis works for;

1. Picking up and throwing an object as a weapon in a single action.

2. Grappling and moving an opponent in a single round.

3. When you can use it as a move action.

4. Everything else.

Also i think a detailed explanation on how Grappling is actually supposed to work including examples would be extremely useful.
Fear is the mind killer...

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:17 pm

1. The way the Superspeed "embedded" alternate power works.

2. How the autofire progression works.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:36 pm

I will just repost my original list. :)

Multiple Attacks per Round (Two-Weapons, etc.)?
Why do some Archetypes have abilities which exceed the PL?
How does Super-Speed work?
How does the Wide Extra work?
Can someone explain Alternate Power Arrays?
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Keenath
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Keenath » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:03 pm

Another vote on Autofire; that seems to come up all the time.

The question of when you can change powers in an array seems to come up often, and has quite a bit of debate -- that is, whether you can use one array power, switch, and the use a different array power in the same turn (assuming you have the actions to do so), or do you need to declare the array's active power before using it during your turn.

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Can you apply duration flaws to enhanced abilities?

How do you change the duration of a permanent power?
Are you wondering why the signature characters exceed Power Level in some respects?

Check out trade off rules, page 24.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:31 am

When you pick something up with Telekinesis, how fast can you move it per round?

El Humidor
Paragon
Paragon

Postby El Humidor » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:01 pm

I've never been good with math, so I'd like to see examples of both simple and complex powers that show a breakdown of the points math, and how that relates to level caps. "Wrong" examples would help a lot too.

The complex examples are important to me specifically because the reason I never took to math in school was that the textbooks would offer simple examples only. Then, in the actual problems, a few would be simple, but there would also be a bunch of complex problems with no corresponding complex example. When someone explained the complex ones, I was usually fine, but it was hard for me to make the jump from the simple examples to the complex problems on my own.

Show me a complete numerical breakdown of a very complicated power that affects other parts of the character, with no mental leaps. Then I’ll understand it and be able to do it on my own from there on out.

{Edit} I just got a copy of my High School transcripts in the mail today. In the eleventh grade we had placement test (or whatever). In Math, on Computation, I scored in the 56th "National Gr(ade?) Percentile, and in Concepts/Applications I scored in the 82nd Percentile. Spelling and Language mechanics were 75 and 85, respectively. Everything else was in the high 90s.

I say all this just to illustrate that I’m not a complete idiot (scholastically speaking), but without having someone show me exactly how to do the more complicated math in character creation, I probably won't stick with it long enough to get it on my own. Plus, I hate developing bad habits that will be someone else’s problem later. (I used to make Shadowrun Physical Adepts with BioWare, with no consequence to their essence. {Think five or six attacks a round})

I know I could just ask for help here, but there isn't anyone in this town to play with and I'm moving to Phoenix in a couple of months anyway, so it isn't important for me personally, yet. I'm patient.

However, that is why I am making this suggestion, for people like me, or people that might not have any gaming experience. Lay it out for me (us) in a complex example that leaves nothing to assumption.
It is no the heat, it is EL HUMIDOR!!

El Humidor
Paragon
Paragon

Postby El Humidor » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:12 pm

I didn't break anything, did I?
It is no the heat, it is EL HUMIDOR!!

razzputin
Partisan
Partisan

Postby razzputin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:14 pm

I second this one

BlackDragon1200 wrote:Also i think a detailed explanation on how Grappling is actually supposed to work including examples would be extremely useful.
razz--as in to give someone hell
putin--as in computin
rAzZPutIn--as in the mad monk
Razz's Random Conversions

Scholz
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Scholz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:27 pm

How do you make a Two-Way Communication Power?
In particular, there seems some desire for a Two-Way Mental Communication that is initiated by a Mentalist and conducted with a distant Non-Mentalist.
Do you need ESP to "find the mind"?
Is there an extra on Communication that will make it 2-Way?
Does it need an extra?
What sort of cost is Mind Reading (FLAW: only for mental communication) in other words, not even surface reading, just things "said" mentally)?

Do you really need ESP + Successful Search Roll + Lots of Telepathy (to get the range needed) just to contact your mom back home across the country mentally?
Are you seriously telling me that "I see your forcefield protects you from that!" is the only thing you know how to say in English?
http://www.academyadventures.blogspot.com/

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:17 am

How does lasting work? Specifically for each duration.
Are you wondering why the signature characters exceed Power Level in some respects?

Check out trade off rules, page 24.

razzputin
Partisan
Partisan

Postby razzputin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:56 am

I don't know if this is a FAQ but I'd still like to know. How far does one fall in a turn (6 seconds) and I don't want a fancy physics answer I'd like a simple this far in first round, this far in the second round and so on. I know how much damage they take when they hit but I'd like to know wether or not I could catch said falling person.

I've since done a search and found the answer to this one :)
razz--as in to give someone hell

putin--as in computin

rAzZPutIn--as in the mad monk

Razz's Random Conversions

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:36 am

I will 3rd, 4th, or 5th that we need a detailed Grapple explanation showing a couple of different examples of the Grapple rules in action. It is very clear that there is not a good understanding of the rule by most of us.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Return to “General M&M”