Frequently Asked Rules Questions

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Frequently Asked Rules Questions

Postby JDRook » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:00 pm

LordHavelock wrote:Is it strictly taboo to try and mix Dynamic Alternate Effects and the Removable Flaw?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a Dynamic Array into a Device. Or to be more precise, I'm not a big fan of Dynamic Arrays, but making it Removable does not make it worse. :) However, putting it in 3 separate devices can be tricky.

LordHavelock wrote:My question is whether there's anything wrong with making these three items dynamic alternate effects of one another?

I go into more detail here.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Orville
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Orville » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Hey guys.
If the question below is adressed somewhere below please point it out for a newbie ;-)

Ok, so if spiderman is attached to a device that makes him levitate. Let´s say he is under affliction that makes him immobile and... some other condition that makes him easy to hit. Then Thundra wants to attach a chain to him and fling him against a wall.

Should I just let that be a standard close combat roll with str as damage base or should it be strength with something else?

Question 2: When is someone hit and goes flying? Up to narrative description perhaps? That is how I coud run it I guess. How do you guys do it?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Orville wrote:Let´s say he is under affliction that makes him immobile and... some other condition that makes him easy to hit.

That's the standard effect of a Snare Effect, apply both Immobile and Defenseless at 2nd degree. If you're using Spiderman it's very likely his webs do that.

Orville wrote:Ok, so if spiderman is attached to a device that makes him levitate.

I'm not sure what this is about. Is this the descriptor of the conditions that are immobilizing him and leaving him defenseless?

Orville wrote:Then Thundra wants to attach a chain to him and fling him against a wall.
Should I just let that be a standard close combat roll with str as damage base or should it be strength with something else?

That's the simplest way to do it. STR damage attacks don't have to just be a punch or straight weapon wielding or whatever. The mechanics can be simple, but you can make the description as interesting as you like as long as:
1) it sounds cool
2) it fits the character
3) it matches the mechanics
This is just a suggestion, but I'd also say those are in order from most to least important. If you're really going for comic-book superhero action, priority should be more on fun and roleplaying than mechanics and chance.

That said, Thundra's Chain is also probably a STR-based Damage Weapon, so it might make sense to use that with this attack. And since Spidey is having trouble defending, it's a good opportunity to use Power Attack, and getting slammed into a wall is a perfectly valid descriptor for that.

Orville wrote:Question 2: When is someone hit and goes flying? Up to narrative description perhaps? That is how I coud run it I guess. How do you guys do it?

There's a few ways to go with this:

Pure narrative: The description is fun but has no real effect on the combat. This is particularly appropriate if both opponents are very mobile and/or use ranged attacks, so something like being knocked out of arm's reach is not really important.
Complication: The GM decides that the target should go flying. If it's a minion, they're usually knocked completely out of the fight, so it's purely narrative for them. If it's a PC, the player gets a Hero Point. The GM may also allow players to pay Hero Points to knock back opponents. This keeps knockback from being used too often or inappropriately. This is the implicit default of the official rules, but is by no means written in stone.
Optional Rule: There is an official option in the 3e Gamemaster's Guide for calculating hits that cause knockback. The basics are the target needs to fail resistance by at least 2 degrees, then subtracting Toughness from Damage and other possible modifiers to get a distance rank. It includes rules for hitting things from extreme knockback and taking additional damage. Personally, I find this unbalancing since heavy-hitting PCs are already doing a lot of damage and this gives them potentially two hits in one turn for free, but I know other players love this, so YMMV. There are also several houserules on the boards.
Built to do so: You can allow a player to build a power that essentially does knockback every time it hits. Some of the Power Profiles elaborated on this with powers that "fling" targets away. Basically Move Object (Limited to Knockback) can be Linked to any Close or Ranged attack or used by itself. The distance is equal to the MO rank - mass rank of the target. An option is to allow the target to make a resistance check vs the knockback as DC10 + MO rank vs d20 + STR, with the difference being equal to the distance rank, no greater than MO minus mass. This might be a good Alternate Effect or power stunt for a PC to use when they want to send their target flying.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Kuildeous
Bystander
Bystander

Arrays and sustain/concentration

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 am

Hidey ho. So arrays are pretty cool and all, and I look forward to introducing them to my players. I'm a newbie GM looking to start my first game in a couple of weeks, and I am uncertain about one thing with arrays.

What if you have a wizard character who takes an array for his spellbook that has sustained/continuous spells? Obviously, the wizard would have to switch from fireball to cone of cold if they're both in the array, but if he has a sustained ability (such as a fog bank Concealment), can he still maintain that with a free action while switching to a new "spell" in the array? Or does he sustain it only as long as that spell is active in the array?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Arrays and sustain/concentration

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 am

Kuildeous wrote:Hidey ho. So arrays are pretty cool and all, and I look forward to introducing them to my players. I'm a newbie GM looking to start my first game in a couple of weeks, and I am uncertain about one thing with arrays.

What if you have a wizard character who takes an array for his spellbook that has sustained/continuous spells? Obviously, the wizard would have to switch from fireball to cone of cold if they're both in the array, but if he has a sustained ability (such as a fog bank Concealment), can he still maintain that with a free action while switching to a new "spell" in the array? Or does he sustain it only as long as that spell is active in the array?

Switching array slots deactivates the power. Dynamic arrays can alleviate the issue. 2E had Independent and a specific exception for Continuous Create Objects.

Kuildeous
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:22 am

Ah thank you. I had a feeling that was the case, but I had nothing to go off of other than a gut feeling. Perhaps I did read that but couldn't place it.

Also, I'm sure this next one is a derp moment, and I'm surely overlooking it.

You can use Affects Others on multiple people, right? And sustain them all as long as you can perform free actions, since you can do multiple free actions? I recall in 2E that Affect Others can only affect one person by default but that can be expanded. I didn't see that option in 3E. So, say I have someone with Invisibility that is sustained and has Affect Others or Burst. Can he bop each ally and give them all invisibility while sustaining it by spending 4-6 free actions per round?

I may possibly have more as the game progresses, but discovery is all part of the fun.

Orville
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Orville » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks JDRook, I have got the answers I needed.

I will use this a lot. Sometimes I tend to forget the priorities of this hobby. I fully agree. I am quoting you below.

That's the simplest way to do it. STR damage attacks don't have to just be a punch or straight weapon wielding or whatever. The mechanics can be simple, but you can make the description as interesting as you like as long as:
1) it sounds cool
2) it fits the character
3) it matches the mechanics
This is just a suggestion, but I'd also say those are in order from most to least important. If you're really going for comic-book superhero action, priority should be more on fun and roleplaying than mechanics and chance

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:02 am

Kuildeous wrote:Ah thank you. I had a feeling that was the case, but I had nothing to go off of other than a gut feeling. Perhaps I did read that but couldn't place it.

Also, I'm sure this next one is a derp moment, and I'm surely overlooking it.

You can use Affects Others on multiple people, right? And sustain them all as long as you can perform free actions, since you can do multiple free actions? I recall in 2E that Affect Others can only affect one person by default but that can be expanded. I didn't see that option in 3E. So, say I have someone with Invisibility that is sustained and has Affect Others or Burst. Can he bop each ally and give them all invisibility while sustaining it by spending 4-6 free actions per round?

I may possibly have more as the game progresses, but discovery is all part of the fun.

In both 2E and 3E, yes affects others can affect more than 1 person at a time. in fact the last sentence of the description of affects others says
Both you and your subject(s) can use the effect simultaneously.

Notice that is says subject(s). Both ediitions say
subject(s)
actually after double checking. Plus you could potentially have affects others on an area affect power if you buy both extras on the power in question.

Personally, as a GM I would let you get away with a handful of people for affects others (say equal to PL or PL/2 depending on the power) without any sort of area extra and then probably start having the character have to make the equivalent of a 2E concentration check DC (10 + number of people affected) every round to be able to handle maintaining the effect on that many people if they started to abuse the power too often. Remember that a GM can always rein a player back in if they go too far with something.

Kuildeous
Bystander
Bystander

Metamorph question

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:37 am

This seems too simple, so either I'm overlooking something or I'm just overthinking it.

I have a player who wishes to be a werewolf. As I understand it, she really only needs to take Morph at 1 rank with the Metamorph extra at 1 rank, for a grand total of 6 PPs. In return, she gets another form with the full character points minus the 6 PPs required for Morph and Metamorph.

Is it really that simple?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Metamorph question

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 am

Kuildeous wrote:This seems too simple, so either I'm overlooking something or I'm just overthinking it.

I have a player who wishes to be a werewolf. As I understand it, she really only needs to take Morph at 1 rank with the Metamorph extra at 1 rank, for a grand total of 6 PPs. In return, she gets another form with the full character points minus the 6 PPs required for Morph and Metamorph.

Is it really that simple?

Yup. One way to look at it is that she has a bundle of powers (her base form) which she then takes an AP to for 1 pp. The use of Morph simply indicates that the two forms look so different that someone would have to look/investigate closely to realize they're the same person. If they don't look distinctively different (say Peter Raputin and Colossus), then don't worry about Metamorph. Just build it as powers.

On a side note, pretty much every hero ought to have spent a few EP for a mask with Morph 1 so that no one goes "Hey, wait a second... that masked man looks exactly like Bruce Wayne in a Batman costume!", but it's usually noted as a genre think like not needing to proof your costume against use of your powers.

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:23 am

I usually do mask and costume as a 1 PP feature instead of eq point on morph 1 since is doesn't change things like height, build, hair color (if any shows outside the costume. Either way works mechanically especially since the 5 eq equals out to the same 1 PP spent either way. There can be a small difference depending on character concept.

If you build it as morph then it can be nullified which I never really thought made since for a costume, unless you are talking a situation similar to lantern rings where they put the ring on and the costume just appears.

Book sbuilds like princess use the feature route, although that isn't a good example of a mask, more just collective disbelief.

Return to “General M&M”