Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Supernatural Handbook Available Now!

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.

Re: Supernatural Handbook Available Now!

Postby Shadowchaser » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Doresh wrote:I hope it also has some tips for a XCOM-type game (with a stronger focus on horror and paranoia). I am currently in the mood for something like that :mrgreen:

There is a section breaking down the concepts of horror into a pyramid that I love. It explains what horror is, talks about not going too far for your players's comfort levels, and how to achieve that horror. I don't think I've ever seen as good an explanation for how to bring horror themes into your games in any horror supplement. So, for that little bit alone, I think this book is worth the price of admission.

The stats, plot hooks, and other great stuff? Icing on the cake, for me. :)
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/
Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Titan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:37 pm

I just purchased the PDF. I really was not expecting the psychology textbook in the middle :) !

I am not sure how useful I will find it, as I am not as much into the horror side, but some of it may be useful. And what I have read so far is very well done.
Remember: Superpowers happen! Will you know what to do?
Titan
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Jameson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:39 am

Shadowchaser wrote:There is a section breaking down the concepts of horror into a pyramid that I love. It explains what horror is, talks about not going too far for your players's comfort levels, and how to achieve that horror. I don't think I've ever seen as good an explanation for how to bring horror themes into your games in any horror supplement. So, for that little bit alone, I think this book is worth the price of admission.

I've got about 20 more pages of reading before I can call my read through complete and finish my review, but I can totally second this already. The thing that impresses me most is how detailed the breakdown is. It really goes beyond just the horror genre/tone/mood/whatever and into the underpinnings of drama itself. Sure drama is even more expansive that what is here, but when it comes to the kind of stuff of gaming this covers a huge swath of it.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here
Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Doresh » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Shadowchaser wrote:There is a section breaking down the concepts of horror into a pyramid that I love. It explains what horror is, talks about not going too far for your players's comfort levels, and how to achieve that horror. I don't think I've ever seen as good an explanation for how to bring horror themes into your games in any horror supplement. So, for that little bit alone, I think this book is worth the price of admission.

Now I really feel bad for buying so many PDFs recently. Just a few more hours before I can read you, Supernatural Handbook... :roll:
Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Dragonblade » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 pm

I haven't gotten the book yet, but I hate that faux "photograph" style of artwork. What happened to good old fashioned comic book style art?

If the book is full of "art" like this, my enthusiasm for it has gone down considerably. :(
Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby JonL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Dragonblade wrote:I haven't gotten the book yet, but I hate that faux "photograph" style of artwork. What happened to good old fashioned comic book style art?

If the book is full of "art" like this, my enthusiasm for it has gone down considerably. :(

Only some of the archetypes are done by that artist. There is a variety of artists throughout.

Considering Hellboy is a big influence on the book, you'll see some pieces more in the comic book style. Have no fear.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.
JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby Dragonblade » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 pm

JonL wrote:
Dragonblade wrote:I haven't gotten the book yet, but I hate that faux "photograph" style of artwork. What happened to good old fashioned comic book style art?

Only some of the archetypes are done by that artist. There is a variety of artists throughout.

Considering Hellboy is a big influence on the book, you'll see some pieces more in the comic book style. Have no fear.

Thanks, Jon! :)

I mean the cover is awesome! And Hellboy inspired art is cool too! I just had never seen that style in an M&M book before and it just totally threw me for a loop.
Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Saltcrow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Being a fanboy of Hellboy and BPRD (and occasional Lobster Johnson!), the book scratches all my itchy spots.
Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Jameson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:40 am

I too hate the weird photograph/photoshop art style. I'd say that there is a mix in the book with maybe 50% if the art in that style (that number is off the cuff, I certainly didn't count) but the rest is more traditional style and very good.

As an aside:
I lost power during the storm yesterday and as of this morning still had none (at work ATM) so that might delay my review a little depending on if I can read or not.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby King Snarf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't mind the "faux-tograph" style; when done right, it looks pretty awesome- see the Dark*Matter campaign setting from back in the day for good examples.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Jameson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:45 pm

My review of the Supernatural Handbook is now live. It's a long mother, but I think I cover all the bases.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Dragonblade » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:55 pm

King Snarf wrote:I don't mind the "faux-tograph" style; when done right, it looks pretty awesome- see the Dark*Matter campaign setting from back in the day for good examples.

I'm not a fan at all unless its Hollywood quality. Otherwise, it looks terrible like it does here. Like someone trolled Comic-Con and took some amateurish photos of cosplayers or LARPers in cheap costumes.

No thanks. I'd rather have no art, then ever see this stuff appear in any future M&M books. Sorry, if I sound like a jerk, but thats how much I hate it.
Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Kreuzritter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 am

me, i'm just cursing how long i'll have to wait until I get my print copy
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby iNSOMN14 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Just to throw in my two cents, I didn't care for the faux-photo art either (though I did several times start to think I'd seen that style elsewhere, and it might have been the Dark*Matter book King Snaurf brought up) but the rest of the content definitely overshadows any issues I have with a couple of pictures (Though probably my biggest one is with the picture of the WTF! villainous archetype. Awesome picture that I could have imagined using in game as reference, ruined by a funny sign. At least that arm will photoshop out.).

I fleshed out one of the Misadventures in Horror (the one involving "Deep Spawn" called "Sleeping Gods Lie") and used it in my regular game (one of my players is playing a Deep One Hybrid, another is a secret agent for a government agency fighting the occult, and another is essentially a Winchester from Supernatural so the content of this book is definitely going to get some mileage out of my group) and had a couple tell me that it was their favorite session in recent memory. It was also quite fun to flesh out and tone to my particular group.

The text seemed mostly free of typos and other errors, though the ones I did run into had me doing a double take (page 140, paragraph two, line five specifically).

All-in-all, this would probably be my favorite book released so far this year. (Though I am holding out for seeing the Emerald City Campaign Guide before the end of the year... just a thought.)
iNSOMN14
Hireling
Hireling

Postby BCDX97 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 pm

JonL wrote:
We don't have solid dates with the printer just yet, but we think it'll be sometime in December that the physical book is available.

So is the DC Universe book going to be after that?

I'm glad you are giving us new product so I can give you my money!
BCDX97
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to General M&M