Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Nations of Freedom

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.

Re: Nations of Freedom

Postby xquel » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Pierced Geek wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:As much as i love you, you've got to admit that the U.S doesn't exactly have a great track record with representing other countries...

Hey, don't look at me, I'm Canadian. I'll just be over here, being polite, quiet and unassuming. Later, I may potentially wear flannel and play hockey.*

*Will not be doing any of those things.

Will you al least give me a shout out. Great White North style? (shoot oot?) doesnt't translate well in a written format, does it?
"United we stand! Divided we fall!" - Rally Cry of the Untied Heroes of the World.

"If the GM is smiling, it is already too late."
xquel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Batgirl III » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:20 pm

I have no idea what yoor talking aboot, eh. My family is from da Yoop and ereybody talks like dis. We go south and all trolls (what live under da bridge) dat talk weird, donchaknow?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby xquel » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Does that mean Gotham is in Ontario?
"United we stand! Divided we fall!" - Rally Cry of the Untied Heroes of the World.

"If the GM is smiling, it is already too late."
xquel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby danelsan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:35 am

As a Brazilian, I can say we didn't got the worse treatment in this regard. There are problems, but nothing that completely ruins the characters.

Sure, there was Marvel's Captain "Forsa" (how can someone translate Strength wrong is beyond me), but that was very much as disposable character and even so, he did not have "Brazilian" as a super power, being a generic powerhouse type (not very interesting, sure, but better than having super-soccer or something like that :lol: )

Sunspot is a better example from Marvel. Sure, he was a soccer player, but also the son of a rich family (not the obvious route when one thinks "Brazil", sadly) who became a solar-powered mutant in a very public incident but kept a relationship with his family and girlfriend. I never liked him, but he was a well developed character with much more than being from Brazil to describe him.
As an aside "Thunderbolts" and "Dynamos" are very much not the kind of thing we name our soccer teams. Nor any soccer teams from anywhere I've known (though I hate soccer, so I don't know much)

DC has Fire, which is likewise find a not particularly interesting but well developed character. Her original version gained her powers through Brazilian mysticism (so tells me Wikipedia, I've never seen that story). That seems better, imo, than the later version of amateur model - turned showgirl - turned secret agent (wtf?) that got powers in technological accident. But they are acceptable origins anyway. Her powers and characterization aren't limited to "Brazilian".
There have been consistent problems with her use of the native language for years, though. From speaking Spanish instead of Portuguese, to mixing both, to just speaking it wrong in Portuguese :roll:

In the end, despite the problems, many countries had way worse stereotyping going on in their superheroes as presented by US comic book companies.
If GR decides to publish a book of national heroes from various countries, I'd suggest keeping in mind about Brazil:
Portuguese, not Spanish.
There are places other than Rio de Janeiro and the Amazonian rainforest here.
There are surnames other than "da Costa".
It is a huge nation which has been colonized by many different peoples. There is a lot of cultural diversity.
(look up images of the micareta or the carnaval in Salvador and compare with the Octoberfest in Blumenau, for some contrast).
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Crinos » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I actually did a Brazillian superteam for the Crinoverse: O Magnifico Oito

I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion Danelsan.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Previous

Return to General M&M