Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Supernatural Handbook Available Now!

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.

Re: Supernatural Handbook Available Now!

Postby Crinos » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:29 am

Okay, how about we play a little game: Figure out which horror movie Icons inspired the villain archetypes from Supernaturals!

Dark Emissary: Sam Neil's character from Event Horizon

Inhuman Juggernaut: Either Pyramid Head from Silent Hill or Nemesis from Resident evil

Flesh Sculptor: This one is kind of tough, since there aren't too many guys with that power in horror films. But from other sources the Tzimisce have similar powers.

The Infected: The guy from Slither (Just saw that film recently for the first time, good stuff.)

Mr. Clown!: Child's play for the concept of a killer toy that targets children, or maybe the ghost from Poltergeist (Which also targeted children and animated toys to do its dirty work)

Supernatural Slasher: Do I really need to say it?

Trophy Hunter: Obviously a send up of the hunters from the totally original Asylum film that they totally didn't rip off, AVH: Alien vs. Hunter. I mean, its not like no one else has ever done that concept before. :P

WTF!: The Thing. Which is pretty cool cause OMG you guys statted the thing I love you I LOVE YOU!
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Sketchpad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 am

Posted a review over at Panel Rant on Facebook.
Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Doresh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 am

Crinos wrote:WTF!: The Thing. Which is pretty cool cause OMG you guys statted the thing I love you I LOVE YOU!

Dammit! This makes waiting so much har... wait a sec...

*checks DrivethruRPG*

^_^
Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby HustlerOne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:30 am

I just looked through the contents and discovered that Supernatural may be more useful than I thought. It
seems to cover horror from a wide range of genres from steampunk (Cthulu) to futuristic post-apocalypse (Mutants).

I do have some questions for anyone who has the PDF. What's the lowest and highest PL for the archetypes? I wanna know if its useful for low level human investigators to Superheroes battling Cthulu like outer gods from another dimension.

Any mention of archetypes for creepy psychic girls like Alma from F.E.A.R or Alessa from silent hill? Nothing
is scarier than a little girl that can kill you with their mind. :twisted:

I also have to know if the cryptkeeper from Tales from the crypt makes an appearance. I'm waiting for the print version so it's going to take awhile for me to find out the answers to these questions.
HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crinos » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:49 am

HustlerOne wrote:I just looked through the contents and discovered that Supernatural may be more useful than I thought. It
seems to cover horror from a wide range of genres from steampunk (Cthulu) to futuristic post-apocalypse (Mutants).

I do have some questions for anyone who has the PDF. What's the lowest and highest PL for the archetypes? I wanna know if its useful for low level human investigators to Superheroes battling Cthulu like outer gods from another dimension.

Any mention of archetypes for creepy psychic girls like Alma from F.E.A.R or Alessa from silent hill? Nothing
is scarier than a little girl that can kill you with their mind. :twisted:

I also have to know if the cryptkeeper from Tales from the crypt makes an appearance. I'm waiting for the print version so it's going to take awhile for me to find out the answers to these questions.

crypkeeper, but there is sort of a creepy girl in one of the sample adventures who turns into a lightning monster.

And by Archetypes, you mean good guys, bad guys or both?

For the heroic archetypes, its the Massacre survivor, which is PL 6. For the monster archetypes, the weakest are the Supernatural slasher and the alien hunter, who are both PL 10.

Also, kind of disappointed there's no Slenderman expy.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby sweetja713 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Can anyone give me a general overview of the weird west section. I'm running a deadlands style game on the boards and this sounds like it could really help.
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Crinos » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:45 pm

sweetja713 wrote:Can anyone give me a general overview of the weird west section. I'm running a deadlands style game on the boards and this sounds like it could really help.

Its just a short paragraph and a few story ideas
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby HustlerOne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Crinos wrote: crypkeeper, but there is sort of a creepy girl in one of the sample adventures who turns into a lightning monster.

And by Archetypes, you mean good guys, bad guys or both?

For the heroic archetypes, its the Massacre survivor, which is PL 6. For the monster archetypes, the weakest are the Supernatural slasher and the alien hunter, who are both PL 10.

Also, kind of disappointed there's no Slenderman expy.

Thanks for the info. It looks like supernatural can accommodate a wide range of power levels. It was quite
surprising that they also included horror monsters from Historical, Modern, Movies, SciFi, and other genres.

Oh, sorry about not mentioning that I meant both heroic and villainous archetypes. :oops:
HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Jameson » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I started looking at this last night, and a little at lunch today. I'm going to do a thorough read before I review but I will be writing as I go to help speed things along. Hopefully I can post it in a week or so, sooner depending on how the weekend goes.

In the meantime I asked a few questions in my resource thread to try and improve my reviews. If you have any constructive criticism I am open to hearing it. :)
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here
Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ADamiani » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:02 pm

I was hoping for more ideas to help run Ghost Rider / Raven types-- heroes whose powers aren't entirely under their own control. The Curse Sworn complication is spot on, but beyond that, I was disappointed in the specific thing I was looking for. The book as a whole seems pretty neat, but the emphasis is definitely on *horror* and wanting to be *scary* (Reward fear, exploit maslow's hierarchy of needs) rather than just darkly supernatural with concomitant levels of broody angstiness.

Eg: Not the book I wanted it to be but still probably a good book.
ADamiani
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby King Snarf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:03 pm

ADamiani wrote:I was hoping for more ideas to help run Ghost Rider / Raven types-- heroes whose powers aren't entirely under their own control.

Umm... Isn't that covered by the "Uncontrollable" flaw or any sort of Complication?
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Titan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:56 pm

mirilion wrote:Got the pdf. Full of good ideas and tips, good writing and design, and some useful mechanics. Can't help but compare it to Paragons, my favorite sourcebook so far - it's almost as good, and the ideas in the two books complement each other.

My setting is inspired by Paragons, although I include four color elements in it. Is the Supernatural Handbook worth the investment? The table of contents suggest some aspects that I might find useful, but I was hesitant to put the money into the purchase. Mirilion, your feedback would be most appreciated.
Remember: Superpowers happen! Will you know what to do?
Titan
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Crinos » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Titan wrote:
mirilion wrote:Got the pdf. Full of good ideas and tips, good writing and design, and some useful mechanics. Can't help but compare it to Paragons, my favorite sourcebook so far - it's almost as good, and the ideas in the two books complement each other.

My setting is inspired by Paragons, although I include four color elements in it. Is the Supernatural Handbook worth the investment? The table of contents suggest some aspects that I might find useful, but I was hesitant to put the money into the purchase. Mirilion, your feedback would be most appreciated.

Well, Supernaturals seems to suggest a world where super heroes do exist, and do the regular super hero stuff (Fighting villains and so forth), but that there's also a secret hidden danger from monsters, things that man was not meant to know, and other horrible things that super heroes barely encounter or touch upon, if at all. Heck, two of the Hero archetypes offered are an ex super hero who discovered the supernatural menace lurking in the shadows and switched to fighting that full time, and a hero who has been infected (Presumably by a zombie or werewolf virus, since the character is a super speeder with an enhanced metabolism) who is keeping their infection at bay through sheer willpower.
Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby King Snarf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 pm

Titan wrote:

From what I've seen so far, it covers a WIDE variety of story and setting possibilities. As references, it's mentioned The Walking Dead, Superman vs. Aliens, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Hellboy, Y: The Last Man, Marvel Zombies, and Lock & Key, for starters.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Doresh » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:16 am

I hope it also has some tips for a XCOM-type game (with a stronger focus on horror and paranoia). I am currently in the mood for something like that :mrgreen:
Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

PreviousNext

Return to General M&M