Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Hunter's Mark

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Hunter's Mark

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Anyone have an idea on how to build something to this effect:

Hunter's Mark wrote:All attackers gain 5% increased ranged damage against this target. Can be seen while stealthed or invisible.

Doesn't have to be "ranged damage" could just be an improvement on an attack (in any generally useful form) to those who attack the target.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Hunter's Mark

Postby King Snarf » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:27 am

Affliction inflicting vulnerable (or more) would be the way to go. Granted, that's more of a penalty for the defender rather than a bonus for the attacker, but it all evens out.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby AdvocateJack » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:49 am

Favored Environment (Combat against Marked Targets), where "marking" is a move action and can only be applied to one target at a time, maybe?
AdvocateJack
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby King Snarf » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:20 am

Yeah, that would work, but you'd have to add in a whole bunch of modifiers (Affects Others, Area, etc), for the OP to get that "all attackers get the bonus" thing he's looking for. Affliction is a lot less crunchier.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Doctor Devious » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:14 am

Affliction indeed; else you'll hit PL with all the other attackers and achieve very little.
Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Monolith » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:07 am

You can go with affliction: vulnerable, or you can go with affliction: impaired/disabled toughness checks, limited to only 1 character's attack: Hunter's Mark: ranged affliction 10, limited to 1 foe's attacks, limited degree (Dodge; toughness impaired, toughness disabled), 5 points.
Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Shock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:39 am

Weaken Toughness would also work, though probably not as effectively.
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Murkglow » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:09 am

Shock wrote:Weaken Toughness would also work, though probably not as effectively.

Weaken was what came to my mind too and I don't think it's any less effective. In fact given how Weaken works (slowly recovering over time as opposed to Affliction's off/on status) it probably works better then Affliction for the second part of the power's "duration" (something like Counter Concealment, Limited to while the target is weakened).
Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 am

Murkglow wrote:
Shock wrote:Weaken Toughness would also work, though probably not as effectively.

Weaken was what came to my mind too and I don't think it's any less effective. In fact given how Weaken works (slowly recovering over time as opposed to Affliction's off/on status) it probably works better then Affliction for the second part of the power's "duration" (something like Counter Concealment, Limited to while the target is weakened).

How would you write that with the Counter Concealment?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Monolith » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 am

Murkglow wrote:

The problem with weaken is that it reduces points rather then ranks. Weaken 10 can reduce 10 toughness, or only 5 toughness if the character has impervious, and in almost all cases will generally average far less then 10 points. On top of that it automatically recovers each round, meaning the hunter's mark can be worn off even before you attack the character.

They both work, but the recovering nature of weaken just doesn't feel right for that type of ability to me.
Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Murkglow » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:17 am

Ryan M. Danks wrote:How would you write that with the Counter Concealment?

I'd make it two distinct powers.
Hunter's Vision: Senses 4 (Counters Concealment 2 [Visual; Invisibility/Stealth], Limited [Targets weakened by Hunter's Mark]) • 2 points
Hunter's Mark: Weaken Toughness X (perhaps with other extras as desired)

Monolith wrote:The problem with weaken is that it reduces points rather then ranks. Weaken 10 can reduce 10 toughness, or only 5 toughness if the character has impervious, and in almost all cases will generally average far less then 10 points.

True, it's not going to reduce its full amount each time (though who takes Impervious anyway? And going the other direction the poor guy who's got limited protection is going to get creamed) but it'll still probably take away some each time you use it and it's naturally cumulative. Either way I was unaware that getting a full 10 points of weaken was a requirement for this power build (-10 toughness would be pretty crazy anyway so I don't think it's a problem that we'll probably get less then that).

Monolith wrote:On top of that it automatically recovers each round, meaning the hunter's mark can be worn off even before you attack the character.

True if you only manage to take off 1 point, then again unless you extra effort up another standard action, Affliction can be gone before you attack too (though it's a roll). Still again I'm not really seeing the problem here. Anyway it's as you said, both can work so whichever the OP chooses will be fine.
Last edited by Murkglow on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:18 am

Am I over thinking this? Would Affliction (Vulnerable, Stealth Disabled) limited to two degrees work the best for an M&M conversion?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:20 am

Actually, I guess it would be two conditions limited to one degree (Vulnerable and Stealth Imapired).
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby JDRook » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:All attackers gain 5% increased ranged damage against this target. Can be seen while stealthed or invisible.

I'm guessing this is the Hunter's Mark from WoW or something similar. Direct translations from video games can be needlessly detail-y for several reasons, so I find it's usually best to figure out the intent of the power and work on that.

Breaking it down to base effects, two things are happening:

- target is slightly less resistant to damage
- target effectively cannot use concealment effects or skills.

Vulnerable makes a character easier to hit, not easier to damage, so an Impaired Toughness Affliction would cover that part easily and be really cheap. Knocking out Concealment and Stealth is a little more complex, with a lot of possible paths. I'd recommend a Broad Simultaneous Weaken that affects all visually concealing traits: Linked to the Impaired Toughness, it can maintain itself for several rounds so it doesn't lockdown an array slot.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Actually, it's based on the Drow's Darkfire (or Faerie Fire, as it's sometimes known). I used Hunter's Mark because I figured someone would have used it before in a build as it's a bit more popular. The Darkfire casts non-damaging fire on the target, making them easier to see, impossible to stealth and easier to hit.

Mulling it over, I came up with Environment 1 (Light; 30ft), Perception Ranged Attack • 4 points

It wouldn't give the bonus to hit, but it would pretty much do what is was made to do, and the light could be ruled to be a circumstantial bonus to ranged attacks in low-light conditions.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Return to General M&M