Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Spam Cleanup?

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.

Re: Spam Cleanup?

Postby Gilliam » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:33 am

Roll Call is also very "popular" for the spammers.
Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:58 am

It's cool that the spammers are getting a little more inventive, putting threads up on more boards and less used boards, but could they at least research the demographic first? I mean, come on, why is every spam thread lately about Dre Beats? What part of Mutants and Masterminds does that even equate to?
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆
Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 am

{nods} The TV shows/movies were a bit better of a match, you know, media entertainment and all that.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 am

Angelina Jolie is no more hot are you agree?
Easily the best span thread title yet.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆
Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Ghost Matter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 am

My favorite email spam ever was "Subject: Angelina Jolie set to destroy own vagina
Body: See the video"
Ghost Matter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:19 am

*phew* i just reported 13 spam threads... Guys, we really need to close down applications or alternatively set it up so one needs to produce a number of comments before they can post new threads. Because 13 spam threads all at once is exactly 13 to many.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:31 am

make that 16 threads & counting.

I'm reporting, as they are going up.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:40 am

It's incredibly ridiculous. I go to unread messages and the first two pages are almost completely spam threads, even after I went in and weeded out a dozen or two.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:47 am

just hit 19 threads.

Come on guys, its time to close down registration for a week... It'll takwe us off there list, because this kind of focused spam stops when you remove the ability for them to post.
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Doctor Devious » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:14 am

As a point of interest, they won't move on if they can't get in for a wee while as they aren't that adaptive - they just follow a script. It costs them effectively nothing to try a registration using a bot, so the scripts just get bigger, they don't trim.

There needs to be greater randomness in the registration "human-verfication" scheme: e.g. captch plus a simple question from a set of at least 6 and, if possible*, a simple question or captcha on first post too.

Right now, the place is lost. But nobody with the requisit knowledge or skill is paying attention.

*The board software may or may not permit this.
Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby roguescribner » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:18 am

Is anybody out there paying attention? Any indication that it's being worked on would be nice. :cry:
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:28 am

well theres another 7, so that brings my total for tonight up to 26 reported threads tonight.

As a point of interest, they won't move on if they can't get in for a wee while as they aren't that adaptive - they just follow a script. It costs them effectively nothing to try a registration using a bot, so the scripts just get bigger, they don't trim.

Actually it will, since account activation still requires a human hand. If it comes up empty 40 times, they move on & we get crossed from the list.

Its kind of like telemarketing. If it requires human oversight, humans will move on once they no longer get a positive result.
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:41 am

Heres a basic list of stop gap solutions
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=427852
http://www.thesamet.com/blog/2006/12/21 ... bb-forums/
http://www.apromotionguide.com/stopping_phpbb_spam.html

Most of these can be used by an idiot... I should know, i've used some of them. :lol:
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:46 am

We got roaches - & they're selling sports jerseys cheap!

The Freedom City site wont allow you on the boards until admin approval.

We need that here.
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:59 am

Kevin_MacTaggert wrote:We got roaches - & they're selling sports jerseys cheap!

The Freedom City site wont allow you on the boards until admin approval.

We need that here.

Wait a second... Theres a Freedom City site? I know i'm sleepy, but when did this happen?
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to General M&M