Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Suggestions for Marvel/DC crossover JL?

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.

Suggestions for Marvel/DC crossover JL?

Postby danelsan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 pm

So, I'm detailing a setting that is mostly a DC/Marvel crossover with some original stuff thrown in. There are alterations to several characters, but the primary members of the League are mostly still there in one form or another.

There is not a JLI and JLA. Instead, there is a single big entity, with various Justice Halls as a embassies of a sort in various cities thorough the world. Their main headquarters is still in space and linked to these Halls by Boom Tube technology.

Less powerful teams are based in each of these Halls, while the main team with the heavy hitters usually only unites to stop really huge threats. Martian Manhunter uses tech and Telepathy to coordinate various teams when needed.

One team may also borrow from another if a certain kind of ability is needed and available (such as calling a magic user from another team if you are dealing with magic and your team lacks that expertise), but they mostly operate semi-independently (though members of the main team sometimes drop by to check how the sub-teams are doing)

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions of Marvel characters that could make good additions to the Justice League's main team and to the American team (there are a lot of other superheroes in the US, so the league has little presence here, except for the a few members of the main team live there. Though In my version there is a single Green Lantern from Earth, an Asian. And Wonder Woman tends to operate in Europe and Africa, though).
I've already included Thor. She-Hulk is in one of the lesser teams but has important legal duties for the whole organization.

Captain America and other "Nation Heroes" are usually out because in this setting most of them have ties to their respective governments and the JL avoids these direct connections.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Suggestions for Marvel/DC crossover JL?

Postby grod_the_giant » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:03 pm

What version of the JLA are we starting with? Current, or big 7, or what?
grod_the_giant
Hireling
Hireling

Postby danelsan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm not completely sure on my choices yet, but so far the main team is going to include:
Flash
Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter
Superman
Wonder-Woman
Either doctor Strange or Doctor Fate
Thor

I'll certainly include a tech guy, possibly Iron Man. Batman I'm still considering for the main team (I'm using a more street-level version, so he might end up in the US team instead)

I'm looking for about 3 to 5 more Marvel people added to the main team, and 3 to 5 for the US team.
My DeviantArt page
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby freeclint » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:56 pm

You didn't really state what you were doing with the X-Men and Fantastic Four.
Like you said, avoiding heroes with gov't ties.

Main Team:
Rogue
The Thing
Nova
Wonder Man
Vision

US Team
Power Man & Iron Fist
Beast
Wolverine
Cable
Spider-man (depending on your setting)
Tigra
Hawkeye
Mockingbird
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.
freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby King Snarf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:04 pm

How are you dealing with Atlantis, if that doesn't count as "government ties"?

Anyway, if you don't want to deal with all that but still want a competent underwater guy, may I nominate Stingray? I always thought he was cool, he's got the undersea bit covered, and he's a good Iron Man fill-in whenever Tony's having trouble with his various health issues.

Also, Songbird and Taskmaster for the "villains turned good" roles.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby danelsan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:15 pm

The X-Teams are a bit more secretive and a bit Isolated from the other teams, so they probably wouldn't have spots in the League. However, I might remove a few X-people from their team to include in the League

For the underwater, I'm using all 3 legendary sunken continents: Atlantis, Lemuria and Mu. Aquaman rules most of Atlantis and is an ally of the League but not a member. Namor rules Lemuria and is more Emperor/Warlord than superhero, while Mu is governed by a council of mystics (OCs of mine). Underwater pushes a bit more toward the sword and sorcery aspect of comics, with less tech and more magic and they have their own super-teams down there (mostly OCs because I know very little about undersea characters of both Marvel and DC).
I'll research this Stingray person.

My players are not fond of the The Fantastic Four, so they are a bit re-purposed: they are less super-heroes (though they still do that) and more explorers (think inserting a bit of Johny quest and Tin Tin) and celebrities, always visiting exotic locations, other planets and dimensions and so on. Johny makes a movie every now and then. Oh, and contrary to what TV Tropes has to say, Reed Richards is not useless - a lot of his and other super-geniuses' inventions actively improve the world in tangible ways (also, allowing the "saturday morning cartoon" tradition of police forces armed with energy weapons instead of bullets).

(This is part of an anti-grim sentiment I currently have, so the world is somewhat more bright and hopeful than our own despite all the super-powered villains)

Another particular spot I'm interested in filling for the main team is another "Artillery" hero, with powerful ranged attack capabilities. Better yet if it is not a glass cannon and has some versatility. Bonus points if it is not an American hero
My DeviantArt page
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby freeclint » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 am

Ok amended lists:

Main Team:
Nova
Wonder Man
Vision
Black Knight
Ghost Rider
Moondragon

US Team
Power Man & Iron Fist
Giant/AntMan / Yellowjacket
Wasp
Spider-man (depending on your setting)
Tigra
Hawkeye
Triatholon
Moon Knight

non-US Blaster idea:
Sunfire
Crystal
Quasar
Vision
Captain Marvel (energy one from 80's Secret Wars era)

Personal note: Ack, don't like the FF? That's a pity. Yeah, I figured they might be listed as explorers (and rightfully so) but I could easily Grimm filling in on any team.
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.
freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby danelsan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:23 am

freeclint wrote:Personal note: Ack, don't like the FF? That's a pity. Yeah, I figured they might be listed as explorers (and rightfully so) but I could easily Grimm filling in on any team.

Well, they got into comics around the 90s, so you can expect them to have some poor taste :lol:
I used to think they were boring too, but I've learned to appreciate a lot of the heroes I disliked when younger

Also, the Thing is an exception. They don't love him, but they wouldn't mind his presence. Heck, he helped them clobber a few villains in their first story in this game ^_^
I'm mostly avoiding people pulling double (or multiple!) duty in various super-teams, but I might make a few exceptions, including Mr. Grimm
Last edited by danelsan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DeviantArt page
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby JetstreamGW » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:34 am

Cobble villains?! He turned them into shoes!? Your Ben Grimm is a monster!
JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 pm

JetstreamGW wrote:Cobble villains?! He turned them into shoes!? Your Ben Grimm is a monster!

:shock:
:lol:
Fixed now.
My DeviantArt page
danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Walking Dad » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Just some notes:

- The (newer - I'm not current on Marvel) Nova has some good blasting and would represent another galactic police force besides the GLs.

- Avoid Quasar and the Vision for the main team. Energy constructs and density control are covered by GL/MaMa.

- Crystal, as a Moon resident is a fine addition as main team blaster.

- Wolverine is a Canadian (saw him listed as US suggestion).

- Photon (old Capt Marvel) has/had a rank in the US military, so she is maybe not fitting for the main team.

I suggest Sersi for the main team:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sersi
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Pierced Geek » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Seeing as you haven't commited Batman to the main team, and are looking for a tech guy, have you considered Black Panther?

I could see wanting to exclude him if you're avoiding characters tied to particular nations -- he is King of Wakanda afterall -- but I still think he'd fit in pretty well amoungst the Justice League.
Punching For Justice - It's a podcast devoted to superhero gaming and Mutants & Masterminds 3e
Kyle Reads Alpha Flight - A distinctly Canadian look at comics' premiere team of Canadian superheroes. Also: swearing and dick jokes.
Pierced Geek
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to General M&M